Bear was pts

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Last week, Bear wasn't on form. We put it down to his age and had talked about when the time came etc. Unfortunately, on Thursday, his stomach appeared very distended and he was clearly uncomfortable, so the OH took him to the vets first thing on Friday, where they did an ultrasound. He was allowed to come home early afternoon and had treats and cuddles. At the evening appointment, the vet said he had a large mass on his spleen and his gallbladder was also distended. The options were pretty much nil. The vet did not recommend surgery given how invasive it was and how slow the recovery would be for a nearly 14 year old dog. We'd already made the decision at home depending on what the vet said, so we said our goodbyes.

I am utterly devastated. Bear was my boy, I spent ages choosing him from a big litter. He was the cuddliest dog I've ever known and incredibly bonded to me.

My Bear.jpg

Goose appears depressed, he's very subdued. Every other picture is the two of them cuddled up together. Goose adored him from day one of meeting him. I know he will recover, but omg, it's killing me at the minute.

Goose adores Bear.jpg

IrishMilo

Visit site
I'm so sorry. I went through this with my old boy and it was some of the the most horrendous pain I've ever been through. He had a fab life with you.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
If it's any consolation, we lost a much younger dog (10) to a mass on the spleen, it was just too large/connected to everything else to remove safely and she was PTS on the table so it was good that you were able to say your goodbyes and of course dogs are so stoic, we did not know there was anything wrong until it was too late, hers was apparently football-sized.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Words can’t express how sorry I am. He was so loved and lucky to have been owned by such loving and caring people 💔💔

PurBee

Visit site
So sorry for your loss CT, he was a lucky boy to have a family like yours to enjoy his happy life. RIP sweet Bear xx

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If it's any consolation, we lost a much younger dog (10) to a mass on the spleen, it was just too large/connected to everything else to remove safely and she was PTS on the table so it was good that you were able to say your goodbyes and of course dogs are so stoic, we did not know there was anything wrong until it was too late, hers was apparently football-sized.
I am so sorry, it's extra hard when it all happens suddenly. Our 6 yr old Rottweiler went similarly, her splenetic tumour had spread to her bowel. Vet did try to operate but she was pts in theatre.
14 is a good age, he had a great life with you and the other 2 have each other, they will be fine. Hopefully they will also live good long lives in your great care.