Beauiful Collie Looking for a special home as he has epilepsy - Currently in Kennels

gaelforce

Visit site
Mottled is a great boy, he is a 2½ yr old male collie and his story is a sad one. He has lived on a farm and his owner could not keep him as he was having an occasional seizure and so was not needed to work the sheep. Unfortunately no one could take this lovely boy and as we could not let him be put to sleep a fantastic staff member stepped up and said she would have him in her home and keep an eye on him and he would be assessed to see whether medication was necessary to keep this under control. We are hoping for a miracle that there is a kind person that comes forward that will understand this lovely boy and to give him the chance to have the home life in his forever home his deserves.

30-12-10 UPDATE

Mottled is giving all the staff here sleepless nights. This is a plea on his behalf for someone to come forward to give him his forever home.

Mottled was originally brought to us from a farm where we were told he had occasional seizures roughly every 6 weeks although, as he lived outdoors, the farmer wasn't sure how bad the fits were. I took in Mottled in the hope we could get him on medication and find him a lovely home. When Mottled first came to me he was so easy, he was tidy in the house and quiet. Mottled seems to be brain damaged, either due to the fits, or possibly the fits are due to the brain damage. He lives in his own little world but he wants you to be there with him; he hates to be left and when you are with him he is by your side touching your leg constantly. We think he possibly may be blind, he never seems to really look at you properly and struggles to find treats out of your hand. He will sometimes grab you not aggressively but like he wants to hold onto you because he is unsure where he is.
Mottled had his first fit with me on Boxing Day, it started at four o'clock in the morning very suddenly. The fit itself lasted only a few minutes but he was disorientated and pacing for up and down to an hour afterwards. The bigger problem was this fit turned into an episode of fits and he had to be sedated to bring him out of it. We don't know if this is a 'normal' fit for him or whether it has been made worse by circumstances; a change of food, home, new noises, smells and possibly infection. If this is his 'normal' fit it may be kinder to let this fella go while he is happy but until he has his next fit we just don't know.
Mottled is now on medication to control his fits but it could take 3 months for it to settle and he may need dosages adjusting. As I work at Many Tears and don't have anyone at home to look after Mottled he has to come to work with me. A kennel is a very stressful environment for any dog let alone a dog who may be blind. This stress we are worried may also cause him to have seizures. When dogs have fits, dogs around them don't understand and the sweetest and most placid dog may attack. Due to this we have to keep Mottled kennelled on his own. At home I leave him downstairs with one of my dogs so I can hear if he has a fits; this sweet boy is laid next to my spaniel's bed every morning when I come down (my spaniel isn't one for sharing her bed!). He loves the company of other dogs and it would be sad to see him alone, but if he gets homed with a dog we have to be 100% sure that if he has a fit they will be ok together ie. the dogs could never be left unattended. If not we would have to look for a home on his own.
I know i am really laying down his bad points but if Mottled goes to a home it has to be a forever home. It is not going to be good for him to keep moving. Mottled has a sensitive stomach, possibly due to the stress of his environment at the moment. With sensible feeding I am hoping this will settle down but at the moment he is not holding his bowels throughout the night. Also, he hates to be left, and he can be quite noisy if you do have to leave him. I have been working on crate training him and he is certainly improving on this.
Now his good points. Mottled reminds me of a lost little boy. He so much craves love and affection and he is so happy when he meets new people. Every time he sees you he is so ecstatic to be in your company, his whole bum waggs. He is as quiet as a mouse when you are in the house and he will curl up by your side. Mottled is so sweet, he makes me laugh so much because he really does take so much pleasure out of life; everything is an adventure. He was terrible in the car when I first took him on but I cant believe how much better he has got. I use a harness and he sits on the passenger seat; he tends to just sleep in the car now and it's the one place I can leave him and know that he will stay calm. He is 100% good with cats and he has been really good around horses and cattle too. I know it is a big ask for anyone to take a dog where his future may be so uncertain but he such a fantastic boy and I don't know what we can do for him if someone can't make a place in their heart and home for him. He wont be easy, he may break your heart but he will give you so much back. If you can offer a home for this dog please complete an application form.

06-01-10 UPDATE
There are over 5000 hits on site a day and Mottled's desperate plea has been on the site for 6 days. Things really aren't looking that promising for this fella. Mottled has had no more seizures since I last wrote. Although Mottled seems to be brain damaged he seems to be able to learn just like any other dog, it just takes him a little bit longer. He learns very well from my other dogs - he seems to copy them.
When he first came he pulled a lot on the lead and still when i walk him alone he needs constantly reminding, but when I take him out with mine who all know 'back' he will too walk alongside. Also, for example, when he first came he would pace up and down the path past the door and wouldn't understand to come in no matter how much I called, but now he waits at the door and comes straight in with the others. I don't think Mottled is completely blind but I think that signals get a bit confused on the way to his brain; if he is going slow then he seems almost normal but if he is going fast his body works too quick for his mind.
Mottled is a typical collie, obsessive and easily wound up. At home he is calm and to be honest mostly sleeps. The only time he tends to bark is if my dogs get excited. I cant begin to tell you how heart-wrenching it is to take him to kennels every day, as my colleague put it - pitiful. Now as we walk through the front gate he starts to get wound up, as soon as he is off his lead he runs to the back of the kennel, to the front then back again. As I leave the kennel he throws himself at the door then leaps high in the air continuously. This is without the excitement of the other dogs, so add this into the equation and you can begin to see how manic he is in kennels. It's a horrid site and it makes me want to cry just thinking of walking him down that corridor tomorrow. We have given him bones to distract him but this only works for a short time. We have locked him inside in the hope that without the pacing he will be calmer but he just leaps in the kennel. This is no life for this boy.
Mottled has now decided the car is the place to be! Especially if I harness him in the front as he has realised that if he lies down with his head by the gear stick he gets cuddled the whole way! This is more than a plea. I'm begging that someone out there can give this special boy a home. If you cant maybe you might know someone who can, please spread the word and help my precious boy to be happy.

Last edited:

Spudlet

Visit site
What kind of quality of life does this poor dog have:( I can't help but feel it might be kinder to have him pts.

I am fully prepared to be branded cruel, heartless, cold, etc etc for thinking this.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
What kind of quality of life does this poor dog have:( I can't help but feel it might be kinder to have him pts.

I am fully prepared to be branded cruel, heartless, cold, etc etc for thinking this.

Wondered the same Spudlet.

................ and creeps back out again.....

Ravenwood

Visit site
That poor dog :( Makes you want to weep if it gets that distressed every single day.

Just as an aside though - I have an epileptic cat and when she fits (violent ones) as she did last night whilst we were all in the sitting room, the dogs just stand up and watch her with a worried expression - it wouldn't occur to them to attack. Surely it would be kinder to kennel the dog with another as the risk of it having an attack seems quite slim?

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site

Agree:( Having seen dogs on anti-epileptic drugs, they are never the same, lights are on, but nobody's home scenario.

Bearsmum

Visit site
Agree:( Having seen dogs on anti-epileptic drugs, they are never the same, lights are on, but nobody's home scenario.

Mmm... funny that the human ones do the same, my son seemed in his own little world for a lot of the time, someone once described it as the brain trying to swim through treacle.

JDx

irishdraft

Visit site
Afraid I agree with the above posts, what quality of life does/will this poor dog have, unfortunatley there are an awful lot of healthy collies out there also looking for good homes, they are not the easiest breed.

CAYLA

Visit site
That poor dog :( Makes you want to weep if it gets that distressed every single day.

Just as an aside though - I have an epileptic cat and when she fits (violent ones) as she did last night whilst we were all in the sitting room, the dogs just stand up and watch her with a worried expression - it wouldn't occur to them to attack. Surely it would be kinder to kennel the dog with another as the risk of it having an attack seems quite slim?

It is actually pretty normal for dogs to attack when another is fitting, we have treat a good few at work and one was actually sadly ripped apart by the other 2 in the household when it baegan to fit and I have prevened dogs from attacking a fitting dog in my oresence, u do get a few mind you, like your own, that look on as if to say "what the hell" and stear clear, but they can commonly attack.

But I agree, he has poor quality of life, and its a know fact that stress can/will bring on more bouts of fitting, so the environment he is in is no doubt making him a hell of a lot worse.
How would you rehome him with such a condition? you would need to find at the least a collie experienced home and a one with abiltiy to manage and have all the time to manage his illness, not to mention vet fees, epilepsy treatment is not cheap and neither will the out of hours emergency fees for prolonged fitting? will the rescue pay all this :confused:
I have not read all the OP, but was the brain damage from birth? or prolonged fitting (which results in brain damage) I agree with the rest, he sounds like he would be best pts.

prosefullstop

Visit site
What a sad story :( Blindness is one thing. I know of several blind dogs, and they are more than content and equipped to deal with life. But a blind and epileptic dog, and one that is now brain-damaged, is such a terrifying combination of conditions. I'm usually the last to cry PTS in younger animals, but this is the only kind option in this instance.

Ravenwood

Visit site
Mottled seems to be brain damaged, either due to the fits, or possibly the fits are due to the brain damage.

We think he possibly may be blind,

Mottled has a sensitive stomach,

I cant begin to tell you how heart-wrenching it is to take him to kennels every day, as my colleague put it - pitiful.

I have highlighted just a few points from the original post - and this is what makes me angry and I know I will get blasted for this but.... this is a rescue home, they are meant to be rescuing and securing a dog a new home. But to me this is taking a dog and making it suffer even more. I think they are blinded and being crueller to the dog themselves than the original owner who was going to have it shot.

Sometimes do gooders do more harm than good :(

Smitty

Visit site
I am so not sure why this thread was started as I look at the website for this rescue perhaps twice a day and as far as I am aware, this dog was rehomed a couple of weeks ago.

I do think there are many people in the dog world. The majority want a perfect dog and generally get a puppy, the minority of these will perhaps have a rescue dog but only an 'easy to rehome' one. Of rescue dogs, the agility/obedience people will take the brainy/tricky ones. I myself was happy to have a returned, hard to home terrier which bit me, fought, killed my chickens, attacked my shetland and would bite other people if not muzzled. He was not, as far as I am aware, anybody else's ideal pet, but was mine.

There are those that are happy to take a dog with a disability and I myself take my hat off to them. I know I would not be able to cope with a blind dog/dog with 3 legs etc but happily for the dogs there are.

I suspect this dog has been homed with somebody who is at home a lot and no other pets.

Scoutie

Visit site
I agree with the posts about quality of life. My Springer had a brain tumour, this presented by fitting for which she received ever increasing medication (which eventually caused liver failure), she slowly started to loose her eyesight and then her hearing, all related to the brain tumour. However throughout this time she was happy, wanted to go for walks and would do anything to get in the car and go to the stables. She then started be confused and frightened, at this point she was pts. I think it is unnecessary, even cruel, to allow a dog to suffer like this with no opportunity for the situation to improve.

gaelforce

Visit site
Thanks for the above posts, although it wasn't really necessary to comment, as the post was added by myself simply to try to expand the search for a forever home for Mottled.

Can I also make very clear that this posting has absolutely nothing to do with the rescue centre, I put this on for the above reasons - to try to find a home for this lovely boy.

Obviously the rescue centre involved have a strict rehoming policy and procedure and Mottled would not be rehomed to someone without experience of collies and his condition. These people do an amazing job and try to foster out as many of their dogs as possible so that they are living in an experienced home environment and it also is exceptional in that more can be found out about the dogs nature etc by doing this thus being able to match it up to the most suitable home when it is ready for rehoming, rather than just rehoming to anyone as other kennels do.

Epilepsy is also not the end of the world and now Mottled is on medication he seems to have improved. If he could have a chance in a quieter environment where he doesn't have to return to kennels every day then i think he would be able to be assessed more fully once more settled. However the rescue centre would never rehome him to someone without relevant experience either with the breed or condition as they are looking for the best opportunity for Mottled not just to pass him on to anyone for the sake of it. It is also not known if he is blind, that could be something caused by his seizures prior to being rescued and put on appropriate medication and again with time this could be assessed more fully in a more suitable environment.

To all those who posted unhelpful comments can I just add the old saying, if you've nothing sensible to say then say nothing. :rolleyes:You have posted comments here that are totally unfair and without knowledge or experience so maybe take the above advice and keep quiet. It always seems to be the same suspects time and time again that post unhelpful and nasty comments up and down the forum and seem to delight in doing so. However the true dog lovers and those that know what they are talking about I know will at this very moment be trying to help rather than hinder so sincere thanks to all of you. :D Also negative stories about other dogs with brain tumours etc are not helpful. It has no relevance to this case. Where I do sympathise, please think before you post as this dog is very happy and enjoys a good quality of life so it is not the same thing at all

Spudlet

Visit site
Several posters on this thread work in animal welfare and rescue. There is a great deal of knowledge and experience here.

paulineh

Visit site
Good luck in finding this lovely boy a nice home.

I too have had a dog with Epilepsy and he lived (On medication) a long and happy life. He was finally PTS at the age of 14 after having had an elongated fit.

My lad (A working Springer) continued to work in the beat line until he was 12. Always the one sent in to find a difficult bird.

I also agree that if people have nothing better to say other than derogatory comments than they should not post.

roxy007

Visit site
Well done Gaelforce for at least trying. I totally agree with your comments both about that lovely collie boy and also about the people on here that post doom and gloom for the sake of it and also pointless stories about conditions their dogs have that have as you rightly say no relevance.

A note for potential posters - This post is to try to find a new home for this lovely dog, why not just leave it at that. The only people that should want to make contact are the ones that would seriously consider rehoming.

Good Luck Mottled - :)

roxy007

Visit site
If several posters work in animal welfare then they would not be posting derogatory comments. I too work in animal welfare and my opinion is that this is not a welfare case, there is good quality of life and he is happy and if someone gives him a chance to see how things progress then hats of to them. Where is there a welfare issue here?

ladyt25

Visit site
I do agree with those questioning the quality of life for this poor dog and I too am ojne of those who tries to save anything! BUT from the sounds of this little dog, it is not just epilepsy but possible blindness, brain damage and additional a sensitive stomach. Now I do think that is a lot to ask someone to rehome a dog like that as in reality they have to be with the dog 24/7 and there are not many people who can feasibly do that plus, being able to manage his condition with the drugs and ensuring he is kept on a specific diet. I applaud you for trying but isn't placing this dog in yet another home going to cause more stress to him? I guess it's a question of when do you decide that you've done all you can?

Have they actually determind whether he is blind or not?

Good luck on finding him somewhere, i just think it is a big ask.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think that people really must get away from the mindset that calling in to question quality of life is somehow derogatory.

You are presumably a very caring person Roxy - as too the OP - and I take my hat off to the OP who is trying to do the best for the dog, under difficult questions.

But the fact remains that it should never be life at any costs, and if there is any chance at all that the quality of life is in question, then to my mind we owe it to that animal to have it put to sleep.

I don't see that as derogatory - just plain old common sense. Which thankfully is in abundance in this particular board.

roxy007

Visit site
This is not life at any cost. The dog is happy, able to go happily for walks is not blind and has a good quality of life. I think the easiest thing to do is not to reply any further - Gaelforce you should do similar - why waste your time on these idiots on here that do not read the whole post as their questions are answered in the post by the fosterer.....maybe its them that are blind or can't read due to limited intelligence!!!!

The dog is not going to ANOTHER foster home he is looking for a permanent home where he can really settle. How difficult is that to comprehend (oh yes I forgot its the regular moan and groan brigade I am explaining too). Actually no I won't explain it further as clearly you are all too up your own backsides to actually understand what Gaelforce was posting for.

TO FIND A PERMANENT HOME FOR MOTTLED.

However lets not waste any more time having a battle of wits with people who are clearly disarmed. Good luck Gaelforce - good on you and good luck Mottled :0)

cobgirlie

Visit site
I can't see which rescue is rehoming the dog? Anyway has anyone from the rescue contacted Sarah or Paul at Wiccaweys or Valgarys to see if they have anyone who can help? They will have lists of experienced foster homes or potentional owners who might be able to help.

Rose Folly

Visit site
Agree with Roxy. Give it a go. You'll never know until you do. It may be that there's someone - possible retired, at home and collie-experienced, who could give Mottled a good quality of life. We're now on our 9th rescue dog, and a lot of the incontinence/upset bowels/unfortunate habits are caused by the kennels environment and stop after a few weeks of normal home life. Epilepsy is not the end of the world. It CAN end very prematurely and sadly, but we've had 4 epileptic dogs (by choice) and two of them lived to 15.

It will take huge commitment, but thank God there are people out there who are prepared to give that. Hope this saga has a happy ending.