Beaulieu Road Pony Sales 2012

HorseGirl18

Visit site
Last edited:

rowy

Visit site
My grandparents live down there and always tell me the horsey news. Apparently last time they were going for £20. Wish I was a bit closer so I could pick a few up :(

PennyJ

Visit site
2012 Sale Dates

Thursday 3 May
Thursday 16 August
Thursday 20 September
Thursday 24 October
Thursday 29 November

Foals are sold at September October November sales. They have to be a minimum 4 months old to go through.

Prices were lowest this year at the October sale, they were slightly better at the last sale of the year. Still a number of colts in particular went unsold, no one wanted to buy them even at minimum bid of 10 guineas.

Google New Forest Pony Publicity Group if you are interested in buying a Forest Bred NF pony, they will be delighted to help you if they can.

The drifts happen on various dates from August onwards in different areas of the forest, there is not one great massive one, that would be absolute chaos! Each one as it is takes the best part of a day usually.

Last edited:

PennyJ

Visit site
@ shadowboy
A drift is a round up of all the ponies running the forest in a specified area. Then they are all "processed" through a pound, their tails are cut (tail marking), foals are branded if their owners want it doing, ponies are then either turned back out onto the forest or taken home by their owners - eg foals for weaning and preparing for sale. The drifts are organised by the Verderers who "run" the forest, and the commoners (who own the ponies running the forest) have to pay an annual fee per pony they run out to the Verderers.

@horsegirl 18
No the foals have to be a minimum of 4 months old to be allowed to go through the sale ring, as the stallions are out for a specified period (usually June-ish) the foals are not old enough to be taken away from their mothers and put through the sale ring in August. The foals usually start to be born from the end of April onwards, most sometime during May.

HorseGirl18

Visit site
@horsegirl 18
No the foals have to be a minimum of 4 months old to be allowed to go through the sale ring, as the stallions are out for a specified period (usually June-ish) the foals are not old enough to be taken away from their mothers and put through the sale ring in August. The foals usually start to be born from the end of April onwards, most sometime during May.

thanks pennyj

its just what i saw on the internet. never been myself. just getting as much info as poss