Because my head has thought itself in a circle

Spotherisk

Visit site
Reckon so. Ghillie’s litter had black, red and yellow in it (I know there’s no such thing as red, but just differentiating in the tones in the litter). She had black and yellow, I can’t remember the sires breeding, he was black and would have had at least one black parent.

Clodagh

Visit site
Have you sat down with your punnet square yet 😆

It’s the same genes at play as in schips which is why I have an interest, only they also have a bobtail gene to contend with (and some rare anomalies like black and tan from the recessive blacks).
I can’t really do the punnet square, I don’t think, as i don’t know what genes he’s got. But the other stud dogs on his page say carry yellow and he doesn’t so I’ll assume he’s homozygous and they’ll all be black. Which is fine, I’m after a black one this time 😄

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Yep - T-box gene same as Pembroke corgis and vallhunds, results in a natural bob. Usually a short stump rather than tailless. The breed club is all over testing for it to avoid lethal matings of T-box to T-box, but the one-copy-affecteds are permissible and shown. Plenty of (imported) docked dogs still in the ring too.

ETA: More importantly who and when is the black one?!

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
Yep - T-box gene same as Pembroke corgis and vallhunds, results in a natural bob. Usually a short stump rather than tailless. The breed club is all over testing for it to avoid lethal matings of T-box to T-box, but they're permissible and shown. Plenty of (imported) docked dogs still in the ring too.

A long way away! But not far enough (unless someone would like to puppy walk for me?) I’m not that keen on puppies, I prefer sleep!
Pen’s younger sister by the same dog is just coming into season. I’ve had my name down for a couple of years! It’s slightly late in the year to be perfect but we’ll muddle through. I think it should come home about the end of July so I have a month before the partridges.
Not to get it working, you understand 🤣

Clodagh

Visit site
Yep - T-box gene same as Pembroke corgis and vallhunds, results in a natural bob. Usually a short stump rather than tailless. The breed club is all over testing for it to avoid lethal matings of T-box to T-box, but they're permissible and shown. Plenty of (imported) docked dogs still in the ring too.

And what happens if t box to t box? Deformed or dead at birth?

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Yes two copies is embryonic lethal, so die in utero. If I recall correctly T-box to clear you'd expect 50% bobtails T/t, 25% normal tails t/t and a 25% reduction in litter size to account for the TT. Been a while since I sat through that discussion though.

druid

Visit site
Yes two copies is embryonic lethal, so die in utero. If I recall correctly T-box to clear you'd expect 50% bobtails T/t, 25% normal tails t/t and a 25% reduction in litter size to account for the TT. Been a while since I sat through that discussion though.

Bob to Clear/normal you'd get 50% bob, 50% normal. Bob to bob you'd get 50% bob, 25% normal and 25% lethal double T box

Last edited:

druid

Visit site
My understanding is that it's autosomal dominant, bob to bob always lethal.

UCD Davis Genetics of Bob Tail link - unless it's a different gene in Schips?

Eta it is Autosomal dominant but that supports my figures above - Bob is T/t....the lethal ones are T/T tailess/dead in utero so we never/rarely see them

Autosomal recessive would require 2 copies of the gene for phenotypic/visible expression :)

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
This is the info from the breed club:

Clear to Clear Mating :- The mating of two individuals with no inherited T-box gene will produce offspring with no T-box gene. They will most likely produce normal tails, although other genetic factors could affect tail length.

Clear to T-box Mating :- The mating of a T-box clear dog to a dog with the inherited T-box gene mutation could produce offspring with natural bobtails as there is a 50% chance of passing the T-box mutation to offspring. This mating is expected to produce 50% of puppies with natural bobtails, 25% of puppies with normal tails and 25% of puppies with embryonic lethal (T-box/T-box) genotype (an expected 25% reduction in litter size)

T-box to T-box Mating :- This mating is expected to terminate embryo development in the womb (embryonic lethal) leading to the bitch re-absorbing the embryos. If a puppy with two T-box/T-box genes should be born alive, it may display severe development defects, including spinal deformities that are incompatible with life. These puppies will not live long after birth.

The mating of a dog with the T-box gene to a dog with the T-box gene should never be attempted.

Looking at the recent KC release for the new DNA testing scheme and doing a good ole' mental punnet square you've now got me wondering if they've got the wrong end of the stick (or at least worded it badly - by T box to T box mating they mean producing a homozygous puppy? Not all the outcomes of the mating itself. But then the last line contradicts that.)

druid

Visit site
This is the info from the breed club:

Looking at the recent KC release for the new DNA testing scheme and doing a good ole' mental punnet square you've now got me wondering if they've got the wrong end of the stick (or at least worded it badly - by T box to T box mating they mean producing a homozygous puppy? Not all the outcomes of the mating itself. But then the last line contradicts that.)

Thier maths makes no sense, someone has definetly screwed it up. I'd trust UC Davis over the KC genetics team honestly!#

From the KC website also....which contradicts what you've linked from them :rolleyes:o_O Poor breeders trying to work it out!

How is it inherited?​

The abnormal copy of the gene behaves as autosomal dominant in respect to bobtail, and as autosomal recessive in respect to neonatal death. This means that a dog must inherit two copies of an abnormal gene (one from its mother and one from its father) before its health is affected, but only one copy is required to shorten the tail.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I will mention it to the breed health coordinator this week and make sure I’m not being thick. With a 5am start she may have to explain it to me in very small words!

maisie06

Visit site
I'd say yes - a friends lab bitch - black has had pups to a black dog and has black yellow and fox red in the litter!

Clodagh

Visit site
So… my booked and planned puppy is not happening. Why don’t bitches ever read the rule book?
So I need to find another one, not now this minute. My ideal puppy is one born in December/January so I have the spring and summer before life gets too hectic.
I am worried about the age range of my pack v how long big bag (and therefore well paid) game shooting will go on.

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
So… my booked and planned puppy is not happening. Why don’t bitches ever read the rule book?
So I need to find another one, not now this minute. My ideal puppy is one born in December/January so I have the spring and summer before life gets too hectic.
I am worried about the age range of my pack v how long big bag (and therefore well paid) game shooting will go on.
Oh that’s disappointing, take it it’s a lab you’re after?