Beckwithshaw Horse Trials - Feedback Please!

Rhiann0n

Visit site
I was a XC official at Beckwithshaw last weekend and know many of you attended in some capacity. The Organisers are looking for feedback on your experiences, whether it was as a competitor, helper or spectator to see if there any ways to enhance future events.

Please feel free to be honest and comment on any aspect of the event!
grin.gif

jessquoi

Visit site
i competed in intro on sunday afternoon and have nothing but good things to say about the organisation, everything ran very smoothly and i went on time if not early for every element. i was a little disappointed there was no water, but instead gravel but i assume there was a logistical reason for that. also the programme map of the cross country course was incorrect, if i remember rightly 14 and 15 were marked as 14a and 14b in the programme which was a little unnerving when i noticed 5 minutes prior to riding it! and also 20 intro was illustrated on the left in the diagram when in fact it was on the right. this didnt cause me any problems in the end but a first time competitor could get confused by these things. i really enjoyed the day though and think its a lovely event, will certainly be entering next time.
Jess

meardsall_millie

Visit site
A friend of mine went with her daughter. They arrived very late (due to not checking their route beforehand - dur!
crazy.gif
) and had nothing but praise for how friendly and helpful the organisers and helpers were in rescheduling their dressage times, etc.

They did say the course was well up to height but very nice.
laugh.gif

langside

Visit site
i was in the OPN on sunday too
it was my 1st time going to Beckwithshaw and really enjoyed the event
smile.gif

the cross country was nice and well presented with a good variety of jumps and was ideal for a 1st timer (could have been more technical via more skinnies/combos if desired)

All the stewards were helpful and informative (i was held at the start box when a rider fell off on course and kept upto date with predictive start times)
smile.gif

The only real negative was the warmup spaces were a little tight, especially the sj area as people were stood watching within the warmup area which could have been a little dangerous at times

In the dressage field there was no boundary either between the arenas and the (next-one in) warmup so people were sometimes getting very close to the arenas when others were doing their tests (could have easily been improved by a tape with a small opening

The sponsership and prize money however was amazing £150 for 1st in every section and money continued down the line to 6th - if only every BE event was the same
wink.gif

Beckwithshaw will be an event i'll return to
smile.gif

Thunderbirds R Gone

Visit site
Nice dressage arenas, nice xc course, shame about the show jumping track not being up to scratch.

My horse went double clear and it was written up on the board as that and then right at the last minute was given 20 penalties xc! When we complained about it, the fence judges couldn't remember the horse so the 20 penalties were left on ... not too pleased about that at all
mad.gif

air78

www.ctwequine.com
I went as a spectator and thought there was a good view of quite a few fences from the trade stand/ catering area, the weather was good so we sat down for a bit and watched ...... but it would have nice if there was a licenced bar there
grin.gif

I agree about the show jumping been a bit dodgy for spectators and those warming up. It would have been better with a sectioned off area for spectators, and more chairs would have good.

It's a lovely event though and all in all very well laid out
smile.gif

SillyMare

Visit site
Nice event - no real complaints. It was a long walk from the box park so the organisers allowing us to collect numbers there was definitely appreciated!

If I were to criticise, it would be the dressage warmup - the main area was small and very busy which always makes my horse panic. There was no option for a quiet corner. Not really the organisers fault that my horse is neurotic.

Neither the SJ or the XC would have been easy on a green / nappy horse. SJ had a turn away from the collecting ring to an oxer as the third fence. XC had a lot of fences in quick succession early on making it hard to get them really moving forward.

Oh, and same comment as above about too many pedestrians in the SJ warm-up, there were kids in there when I was working my horse in.

rosiesmumof4

Visit site
competed on sat. No major complaints here either - nice xc course, though yes some actual water or a ditch or so would have been good - rode very well. SJ you've already explained about. Agree about size of dressage warmup but again that's due to my mare's neurosis about getting hemmed in. all the stewards were friendly and helpful and I definately appreciated being able to collect no's in box park

JenHunt

Visit site
TBH i had a bit of a strange day - my horse is normally ultra consistent XC and poor dressage and it was the other way round!! I was in BE100 on saturday

dressage set up was good for me, i liked the fact that I could take him into the field with the arenas for a few minutes before the test.

was not impressed with the show jumping, it was very much like someone had just put show jumps up for schooling and then numbered them - there was no flow to the course and not of usual BE standard.

The cross country was good, tho I was slightly disappointed that there was no water complex. I had a major steering issue, but that was due to me being bold/foolish and not changing the bridle between SJ and XC as I was too lazy to walk back to the box!

Also, I have been given an extra refusal XC which I definitely did NOT get - problem is, when I queried it nobody would help. grrrrrrrrrr (not your fault i realise, but bloomin irritating)