Becoming a vet- help

pec

Visit site
One of the main problems is that you will require straight as at A level plus some work experince in related fields to enter vet college. Your A levels should include (I think) Maths and chemistry and probably biology. On of the problems with the vets courses is they are percieved to be the gold standard course, and tend to attract high flyers who want to do the 'best' courses and are not particuarly interested in animals. Our equine vets tell us that you don't have to be super intelligent to be a vet but the universities can command the top grades for their applicants. Don't let this put you off, there are plenty of people who become vets but it starts with hard work at school. Oh, in case you havn't guessed I'm a teacher!

fatpiggy

Visit site
She'll need to get oodles of experience in different fields of animal husbandry, so in a vets surgery, on farms (more than one different animal species preferably), perhaps in a riding school or stud, cattery or kennals and all before she even applies to Uni. A work colleague's daughter is in her 4th year at Bristol and she went to just an ordinary comprehensive and then sixth form college and her parents aren't posh, rich or pushy!

Wishful

Visit site
To get through the degree you need a good memory for visuals and the ability to pass exams on lots of species.

To actually stick at the career you need to be rich or willing to work for less than the minimum wage until you find several hundred thousand pounds to buy into partnership. ..

Or get a rich husband and work part time after a few years

Quantock-cob

Visit site
Tell her to ask her own vets for some work experience time - they are usually quite helpful for people who want to study. Not just needed for vet school application but also just so that she can go and see the reality of working in practice - and to talk to the other staff. It's not all fluffy bunnies and being a hero, as some people think from watching TV programmes. I know that my niece was very keen on being a vet until she spent sometime working with my OH, and then she realised how smelly and horrid it can be ( she couldn't cope with watching animals being PTS) and she has changed now to study medicine. Which I am sure is just as gross sometimes.