bed shopping help

crabbymare

Visit site
I am looking for a large dog bed for a present and need reccommendations please. for a big hairy dog that lives outside in a barn and runs around in mud and wet. needs to be waterproof and with an outer that can be changed for another when one is drying after being washed. the ones on ebay all say outdoor use but look as if they would disintegrate if they saw mud or had a wet hairy lump of a dog lay on them :D

Clodagh

Visit site
I am a cheapskate and got a second hand cot matress from preloved. It is waterproof, very comfy, and I have a range of bedspreads I use to cover it.

Equi

Visit site
You can call up the local care homes if you are REALLY cheap, and ask if they are throwing away any waterproof mattressess. Some get thrown out cause they are too smelly or a bit too lumpy for peoples.

crabbymare

Visit site
I am a cheapskate and got a second hand cot matress from preloved. It is waterproof, very comfy, and I have a range of bedspreads I use to cover it.

You can call up the local care homes if you are REALLY cheap, and ask if they are throwing away any waterproof mattressess. Some get thrown out cause they are too smelly or a bit too lumpy for peoples.
thanks . I am not looking to go too cheap as its a christmas present for a friend :D

crabbymare

Visit site
HiK9? Not cheap though
thank you I did see them but they are off the floor. she has a wooden bed in the barn thats just off the floor and I measured it when I was last there with the idea of either getting a cushion type bed to go inside it or one to go on the floor where she likes to lay and watch the workers or horses go past.

Roxylola

Visit site
Apparently it is more natural for them to be off the floor, I don't think they are very high up. I thought perhaps the mesh would keep it from getting wet/dirty etc.
I got a waterproof memory foam mattress for my two in their crate. The beagle doesn't like the feel of it and the springer has managed to remove half the foam, I can't recall the brand but I wouldn't recommend them!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I have other beds made up of memory foam cut offs with heavy duty waterproof covers (sold by UK Pet Beds on Amazon) that I use in my van/crates etc and they work well. A decent size bit of foam and a cover would be £30/40. I then use thermatex dog pads or vet bed on top of these or the Tuffy.

crabbymare

Visit site
Apparently it is more natural for them to be off the floor, I don't think they are very high up. I thought perhaps the mesh would keep it from getting wet/dirty etc.
I got a waterproof memory foam mattress for my two in their crate. The beagle doesn't like the feel of it and the springer has managed to remove half the foam, I can't recall the brand but I wouldn't recommend them!
useful to know what to avoid. I have no idea if this one would eat the foam but its always a possibility :D

Another vote for tuffies, they're brilliant

I have other beds made up of memory foam cut offs with heavy duty waterproof covers (sold by UK Pet Beds on Amazon) that I use in my van/crates etc and they work well. A decent size bit of foam and a cover would be £30/40. I then use thermatex dog pads or vet bed on top of these or the Tuffy.
think a tuffies cover will be the present possibly 2 so she can swap them and then perhaps an old duvet could be folded to make the bed part. plus it has made me realise that taking covers rather than a complete bed will be easier to get in my luggage :)