Bed sizes please advise me!!

miamibear

Visit site
I have a very large stable!

I have just moved on to shavings last night but i feel my bed may be too small.

I have a 16.2hh ID x TB. What do you guys thing the ideal sized bed is for a horse of that size, are there any rules?

miamibear

Visit site
I have an extreemly large stable though so all but the 2ft would be loads of shavings and a bit too big. But i see where you are coming from.

Thanks for your reply

Ginn

Visit site
How big? Mines 16x16....

If your're really unsure then a 12x12 bed would be a good starting point.

kick_On

Visit site
I had very large stable with shavings, it took alot to make bed (6 bales) but filled up space and banked normal way and left gap at front for hay and water buckets.
But once up and running no different than normal size stable but cleaner as mine would poo in one area, wee in another and then sleep in another place - brilliant very easy to muck out

miamibear

Visit site
I have used 8 bales just to fill a small ish space, dont wnat to go OTT as horse will mix shavings in with hay etc.

think i will start with a 12 x 12 area and see how we go

Thanks

Bossanova

Visit site
If the floor is concrete then I bed right to the door. One good suggestion is to put a couple of mats at the front so that bed doesnt have to be huge and they arent standing direct on concrete at all

lillie

lilliedodger.proboards99.com
im in a similiar situation apart from i bed down on straw, atm i have his bed then straw around the front so he's got some grip , im hoping to get some matting for part of the area so his hay doesnt get mix in too much

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
My lad is on rubber, his bed is quite small by the standards of the others here. His is full width of the stable & probably about 6-7' from the back but not too thick. If he was on concrete it would be a different matter.