Bedding for a Hippo

dominobrown

Visit site
What is the cleanest most cost effective bedding for a hippo?

Ok not a hippo but an ISH, but he is very very messy and wet. Its not the stable as my other horse didn't manage to make that much mess and he is like that on every bed.

He currently on shavings (to make banks) and wood pellets. So far I found him cleaner/ easier on a big bed rather just keeping on a little bit.

He is costing me a fortune! Any suggestions?

dominobrown

Visit site
Hmm I don't have storage for big bales so it would have to be little ones. Will have a looks but small bales are quite hard to get hold of here and can be quite expensive.

my bfg

Visit site
My girls very wet and messy and I found it works with her being semi deep littered on shavings, she gets fully mucked out every two weeks but it does seem to work out cheaper

risky business

Visit site
Rubber mats and a nice thin sprinkling of shavings is most cost effective.

Yeah you don't get the grand bed but it's easy to clean (just remove whole lot everyday) it's cheap and quick. Rubber mats makes it comfy to lay on so don't need tones of bedding.

I did this with my mare who weed a river at night and did one bale of shavings a week and take 2 seconds to clean.

The more bedding you use the worse it was for me, just meant a big soaking wet bed.

dominobrown

Visit site
Rubber mats and a nice thin sprinkling of shavings is most cost effective.

Yeah you don't get the grand bed but it's easy to clean (just remove whole lot everyday) it's cheap and quick. Rubber mats makes it comfy to lay on so don't need tones of bedding.

I did this with my mare who weed a river at night and did one bale of shavings a week and take 2 seconds to clean.

The more bedding you use the worse it was for me, just meant a big soaking wet bed.

I tried this but in the morning he literally squelching and he lies in his pee and poo so him and his rug stinks. I also feel a bit sorry for him lying down in his own pee.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Hmm I don't have storage for big bales so it would have to be little ones. Will have a looks but small bales are quite hard to get hold of here and can be quite expensive.

Yes I don't think it would work with little bales as they are expensive. I have 2 big bales (!!) stuck in when I bring them in and then just top up as needed, and it does help keep them clean. You could always get big bales to start your stable off and top up with little ones as and when. I feel your pain, messy horses are not fun!

dominobrown

Visit site
I know! My other horse (little TB) is on the same bedding and she uses far less bedding and her bed is lovely. Might try and big bale down then top up. Although he has a bigger than normal box he is nearly 17hh and just generally big and messy. I do like a 'cosy' bed, maybe its more for my piece of mind rather than for the horse.

cazrider

Visit site
I have one like this. "Hippo" is a good description ;) and he also lies in his wee. Euww! I have solved the problem finally with mats, a thick shavings bed, and under the shavings a layer of newspaper where he wees. Sounds mad but newspaper is a) free, b) very absorbent, and c) biodegrades fine on the muck heap. I have gone down from two to one barrow removed a day, and the bed stays dry on the top. I have recommended this to a few people with very wet horses. It really makes a difference.

risky business

Visit site
Hm see my mare used to do her business on one side of the stable in the end and left one half dry to kip on.

I'd deep litter best you can if I where you taking it out costs a fortune when you have a dirty horse!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I also had an ISH who was a hippo.....
I have rubber mats & then put a very thick bed down (no banks) of Eco Comfy bed, job done :)
She went 2 winters kept on this, took only the worst of the wet out about every fortnight - just topped uo the bed with a bale a week..... but as said, I did start with a good deep bed.

Hope you find the right bedding to suit :)

samlf

Visit site
Thick layer of wood pellets then a big straw bed on top, just take out the poo and obvious wet and then take the straw up once a week to remove the dirty wood pellets.

L&M

Visit site
With my muck monster I put down shavings where he wees, then a straw bed on top. I have tried a really thick straw bed but the wee still seeps out the bottom of the stable door - yuck!!

This mix works out cheaper than a full shavings bed.

Good luck!