Bedding for people with bad backs

Hal1k1

Visit site
I have until recently really liked using wood pellets as it is economical, not smelly and easy to muck out, but the downside is it's heavy compared to shavings. I don't find shavings that absorbant and have tried aubiose but found that to be expensive. I don't want to go back to using straw either.

I am now considering paper pellets, a choppped straw and shaving mix or are there any others I should consider that aren't really expensive, have good absorbancy and don't smell.

TIA

BigRed

Visit site
Your post title mentioned a bedding suitable for bad backs. I would say the first thing you need to do, is buy a fork with a really long handle, there is nothing worse than a short handled fork if you have a bad back. There are plenty of flax and hemp bedding products around that are cheaper than aubiose. I use Edellin which is cheaper than woodshavings.

ellie_e

Visit site
We use Countrywides own brand woodchip - its abit like aubiose but ALOT cheaper and we really like it. My wb has a huge stable with rubber mats so he has a fairly thin layer, and i take wet out everyday with ease, but the other horse we deep litter (probably not the best for your back)

Archiepoo

Visit site
i had surgery on my back and now i use EVA matting and a small sprinkle of shavings ,i do 3 stables including haynets and buckets in 30 mins. easy!:D

Trish C

Visit site
Our yard has sand-bottomed stables. They are fantastic - pee just drains away immediately, and droppings are easily picked out with a shavings fork. The sand gets topped up once a year.

I was unsure about them at first - didn't know whether horseface would like it either - but am now completely sold... as is horseface :)

bran mash

Visit site
wood pellets shouldn't be too heavy...?

i find you just have to adjust the way you muck out slightly;

using long handled fork, skip out as often as possible, take only small fork-fulls at once, and don't try to turn over the whole bed every day, just accept that it is better when bedded in nice and firmly!