C1airey

Visit site
Ideas please, HHO!

My horse has developed a taste for bedding. He will reliably munch on:

Shavings
Chopped straw products sprayed with eucalyptus/lemon/lavender
Wood pellets (especially whole ones)
Easibed

At the moment, for safety, he’s on straw (barley) but he’s really not good with dust.

He gets more than enough forage - always a small amount left in the net on a morning. And he’s stabled for as short a time as I can manage (about 11hrs overnight at the mo). I think he genuinely enjoys rootling about in his bed.

So, any suggestions? Is there such a thing as dust-extracted wheat or barley straw? They all seem to contain rape straw, which I’m sure isn’t supposed to be fed to horses.

Myloubylou

Visit site
Mine was same on equinola but doesn’t eat aubiose. Expensive per bale but works out cheaper as use less & horse doesn’t eat loads of it! You could try hay play ball if you horse just likes browsing for his food.

be positive

Visit site
You can buy dust extracted straw in bags, we have a local farm that does this as well as bagged hay and haylage but it probably isn't so readily available as other types of bedding, I would try paper or cardboard or rubber mats with a minimal amount, maybe take some of his hay out of the net so he can forage about for it if that is what he enjoys.