Bedding in field shelter

Lplates

Visit site
Because field is so wet, I want to put down a nice but low maintenance bed in our field shelter, which is being moved in a month.
What would you use?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Will water still be able to run through if it pours?
My portable one has this on occasions if not carefully sited, and I never put bedding in it for that reason., in case its all wrecked due to rain coming from the wrong direction etc....
A friend has rubber matting over part of her mobile one, seems to work ok.

The free standing ones of mine have old laysoft in them, deep littered.

Princess16

Visit site
Will water still be able to run through if it pours?
My portable one has this on occasions if not carefully sited, and I never put bedding in it for that reason., in case its all wrecked due to rain coming from the wrong direction etc....
A friend has rubber matting over part of her mobile one, seems to work ok.

The free standing ones of mine have old laysoft in them, deep littered.

I would think rubber matting would get slippery when wet ?

Magicmadge

Visit site
I was going to bed mine today it's not a mobile one , it's a barn with an earth floor I had second thoughts cos I know they would use it as a toilet especially for wee's so thinking it would be very smelly very quickly . Thoughts?

Lplates

Visit site
This was exactly my thinking, but it is so wet and muddy that I am finding them lying down in the shelter a lot more than usual and I want to spoil them! Have got rubber matting and put wood pellets down today because hopefully if I keep picking out the worst mess it won't get smelly?

HashRouge

Visit site
I just used straw in our shelter when we had one. Super cheap and super low maintenance, I never took the wet out, just the droppings and chucked an extra bale of straw in every now and then. Nice and cosy too, and my old mare loved going in for a snack :p. I used to call it her little house, as she was always in there. I'm sure she misses it now we don't have one, but sadly a portable one would take off where we keep them now and no way we would get planning permission for a permanent one.