Bedding in horsebox

ellis9905

Visit site
So we've just bought a horsebox- yay!

First outing on Friday , and was wondering if you all put bedding in to soak up wee's ?
Thanks

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I would say no, personally I find it pointless, we never use bedding in our box as it would be a PITA to clean it all out each time so we can disinfect it. The only reason to put bedding down and the only time horse transporters round here use bedding, is for long journeys (think France or Ireland jobs) so that those that won't pee on rubber can have a wee and for mares with foals at foot. Depending on the sort of floor and drainage arrangement it can cause more problems than it is worth.

Last edited:

NaeNae87

Visit site
I don't bother about putting bedding of any kind in mine. It makes it super easy to clean out once I have finished. I use a pooper scooper to clean all the solid stuff out and then scrub and hose out with disinfectant. Easy as :)

McCauley

Visit site
Shavings - and only a small amount to sog up wee.
I usually sprinkle a loosely filled old water bucket amount on the rubber flooring.

This ^.. I Just sprinkle a bucket full over the back third of the trailer to soak up the wet stuff as my boy will have a pee when travelling too sometimes...It's an Easy 2 min job to clean up when you've got to your destination.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I've always put in shavings to absorb wee. It's not very pleasant tacking up in the lorry when you're standing in wee, so shavings every time!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I always do, and quite a bit too. Horse always has a wee on the way there and on the way back, so plenty of shavings makes for a much more pleasant time and clean up after. Plus, it means there is something for me in case I'm caught short too! ;)

McCauley

Visit site
I always do, and quite a bit too. Horse always has a wee on the way there and on the way back, so plenty of shavings makes for a much more pleasant time and clean up after. Plus, it means there is something for me in case I'm caught short too! ;)

LOL....Yes,..that getting 'caught short' yourself is a very good point you raise there CC!.. absolutely!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
LOL....Yes,..that getting 'caught short' yourself is a very good point you raise there CC!.. absolutely!

It's easy at events as there will be a loo, but by the end of the day they can be pretty gross and sometimes the trailer floor is a nicer option! And if you go hunting, there isn't a loo so bedding in trailer is a necessity!

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's easy at events as there will be a loo, but by the end of the day they can be pretty gross and sometimes the trailer floor is a nicer option! And if you go hunting, there isn't a loo so bedding in trailer is a necessity!

What you need in the trailer is the hunting litter bucket .
( shavings in an old bucket ).