Bedding recommendations for grey mare

Hornby

Visit site
I currently bed my white - grey mare on white dust free shavings that I order in bulk. She would eat straw but tends to keep fairly clean in herself in winter (but I also rug her up well). What do you suggest given the rising shavings prices please? I prefer to muck out each day and have never used mats, flax or the other alternatives.....advice please before I bankrupt myself with the next bulk order (and I still want a clean horse too
shocked.gif
)

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I would try Aubiose (which is hemp) , my two both ate all their straw beds but have never touched the Aubiose. The Aubiose unlike shavings doesnt stick to them or their rugs (praise be!!)and I muck out the poops daily. You really wont need to muck out the wet daily (Im v fussy about beds and even I now dont) as you just wont see or smell it at all, the top of the bed is completely dry and the bed lovely and deep and much more supportive than shavings when they kick and get up. You use a lot less than shavings and that more than outweighs the price difference, I was really sceptical but it does !! And the price difference is getting less now anyway! Oh and you just pour it out the bag and smooth it, no faffing with lumps of shavings grrr.

give it a try!

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I didnt wet mine but sprayed it when I initially put it down with a weak solution of disinfectant. TBH despite being bedding eaters in the past they have never shown the slightest interest in eating it.

CrazyMare

Visit site
MATS!!! I havemy grey mare on shavings and mats. She is very clean and tidy, right now most people think shes had a bath recently and she hasn't had one for ages.

I know the initial outlay for mats is expensive but mine have more than paid for themselves. I was using 2 bales of shavings a week, I now use one a fortnight. I'm incredibly fussy about what the bed looks like and even so can get away with one a fortnight
smile.gif