bedding

If you selected heart,

• Total voters

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I changed from shavings to Aubiose. Aubiose is more expensive per bale (about £10 a bale c/w £7 a bale for shavings) but costs me the same or less as I dont use as much (once initial bed in). And mucking out takes half the time even tho I am fussy about my boys bed. It is completely dry on top, not smelly, thick bed, much more stable when he gets up (17h idxtb big chap) and it doesnt stick to his coat and rugs. I love it!!!! Wouldnt swap if you paid me! Oh and to put it in you just pour out the bag. Not like shavings where it takes ages to get the lumps out.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Tried a load of fancier shavings coz of a messy mare who has a bladder the size of Loch Ness and who crosses her legs in the field so she can save her peeing for the stable. In the end I have come back to good old bog standard shavings. I can be generous with them, they smell great, easy to sift, make a fabulous deep litter bed, even look nice most of the time with the fresh layer raked down every day. And cheap compared with the volume of most of the fancier ones.

clare12

Visit site
i use straw, but would much rather use shavings - usualy a mixture of bedmax and cheap shaving but because my horses new stable doesnt have a concrete floor i use straw- also because the stable about 3 times the size of any normal stable it would bankrupt me to cover it in shavings. she is also a grey so only putting shaving in one corner would probably mean she would lie on the soil -yuk!

misstipsy

Visit site
I used to use Woody Pet (Same as Aquamax) but changed 2 winters ago to dust extracted sawdust. My husband uses it for the dairy cows and twisted my arm to try it. He had to twist it as I was worried it would be dusty. As it works out it is just the same as Woody Pet once it has 'fluffed' up. If you treat it the same as WP it works just the same and WOW is it cheap compared to most other beddings. We buy 288 bags (6 pallets) at a time for about £2.70 a bag, on average using 1 - 2 bags a week, horses out daily 8am - 5pm in winter.

MarilynM

Visit site
I use paper bedding. I find it produces far less dust than normal shavings, and I am allergic to the additives/preservatives on some of the other shavings. The only thing I would prefer is bedmax, but it's quite difficult to get in this area.