Bedding

HorseMad91

Visit site
Hiya
I'm looking for bedding ready for winter and have been looking at bulk buying to try save some money. It has to be absorbent as my mare has liver problems and is very messy, but my to boys are very clean. I've been looking at Liverpool woods pellets has anyone ever used them or recommend and other bedding
Thanks

eggs

Visit site
Wood pellets. I prefer Five Star and Aquamax to LWP - steer clear of Verdo.

I buy a full pallet at a time - usually 1000 kg. They don't take up much space and don't have to be put under cover.

ponydi

Visit site
Used LWP for years and really like them, but got fed up with unreliable delivery times. Last time I got Platinum Plus from White Horse, absolutely fine, though bags were a bit fragile!

HorseMad91

Visit site
thanks I'll have a look, Liverpool wood pellets seemed to work out really good value for money. I'm hoping to buy enough to last all winter so I don't have to worry about it if the weather gets bad and cut down on cost. I heard quite a few people mention to avoid verdo.

Last edited:

HorseMad91

Visit site
I use to use miscanthus and I loved it for my mare but I haven't seemed to be able to find anywhere that sells it in bulk anymore :(

mdfreeman37

Visit site
Miscanthus is well worth trying. I've got one on 24/7 box rest and she's a very wet mare. Wood pellets and shavings just weren't doing the job and stable ended up like a swamp without changing large quantities every day. So far it seems to be doing a good job.

Myloubylou

Visit site
I like flax for semi deep litter. Have used miscanthus in the past but also can't hold of it. Brand is called equisorb & you can get delivered a pallet or more. I also quite like safemix which is wood chip & small shavings.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Can anyone else suggest a good bedding to bulk buy

I've used quite a few wood pellet beddings & found them as follows.

Verdo (10kg bags) don't break up very well & also give a dirty bed look.
Corley Bio, (10kg bags) good pellets but considerably more expensive than others & for no real reason.
Woodlets, (10kg bags) good, absorbent, reasonably priced.
Platinum Plus, (15kg bags) very absorbent, light clean colour, special offer price at moment (downside bags aren't as strong as others so when you water them & pellets expand bag will split. They do fluff up very quickly though)

http://www.whitehorseenergy.co.uk/wood-pellets/?gclid=CPnGie_ZpMcCFfHJtAodAlwOWg