Bedlington x Toy Poodle - Advice / Do you have - know one ?

Fabforester

Visit site
We are with any luck going to view a bitch in the next week or so, but as ever I always ask HHO for thoughts and advice on the breed/mix. I've been able to speak to my vet about the eye/liver possible issues and am content to proceed on that basis. Would love to know more about the traits/temperament etc that I may not know already! We are a terrier family, and have had sighthounds and collies before, but this is a slightly new one for us. Thanks in advance.

Bellasophia

Visit site
Obviously it's your money and thus your choice...but why go for a mix that will no doubt be costly and unlikely to represent the combined traits of each parental breed?
if you like the terrier side then why not find a good bedlington breeder who health tests?
I v e got two st poodles here....a great breed..you can't beat them and if you select a high drive pup you would also have a very driven dog,if that's what you want.
......these mix breeds promise a hybrid that combines the best of both breeds...it's unrealistic ,they don't all conform to predicted F1 combination promises...all in all it's an expensive mutt.

amy_b

Visit site
nothing to add other than I have a Bedlington x Whippet and she is the EASIEST dog EVER!!! I am a terrier person and she has just enough terrier about her without being a toerag!! One to consider, she can run all day and is happy or she can have a 15 minute game of fetch and sleep for the day and she is happy! Top dog!

Fabforester

Visit site
amy_b how lovely! We have been looking for a Bedlington Whippet for a while, and think they are also wonderful. Yours sounds so lovely, the less toerag the better. I don't think I will find anything naughtier / more costly than one of our boys who I rescued, who is a Cairne x Corgi - !!

NellRosk

Visit site
Can't offer advice on that mix but we rescued a border terrier x toy poodle and he is so lovely, friendly and intelligent. Picks stuff up really quickly and has been an absolute joy to own since we got him in April.

ribbons

Visit site
A Bedlington / whippet has been a tried and tested small lurcher cross for many years. Its a fairly predictable cross and was made for specific reasons, it is a superb working dog and makes a good family dog in the right home.
Bedlington/poodle is not something I have any knowledge of so can't comment whether the two breeds compliment each other or not but I would certainly find out for sure (as you are wisely doing) before I committed to a dog that would share my life for many years.
Was the cross an accident or planned ? If planned was there a sensible reason behind it or just another designer breed (expensive mongrel)

My advice would be proceed with caution and do plenty of research.
If you can't find other examples of the cross with good reasons for doing so, I'd leave it.

fuzzle

Visit site
I have a rescue Bedlington, she is now 12 years old has a mind of its own lol!!!! still plays like a puppy, i would defy have one again full of love!! i was told they suffer liver problems which I'm lucky she never has but she has had skin problems in the past which was down to additives in the food since i changed her diet to fresh meat diet her skin is perfect, also she suffers from ear infections due to the curly hair growing in her ears thats been a nightmare, but hey with good clipping and keeping on top of them you win the battle. love these dogs!!!!!!!!xxxx

Equi

Visit site
I like poodles and i like bedlingtons, you are in for a bundle of fun. I just wouldn't pay an extortionate price for it if it is being advertised as a designer breed.

california dreaming

Visit site
As a qualified dog groomer my advice would be that it's coat is going to be extremely high maintenance. It will need professional grooming every 6 - 8 week for all its life or it will become very matted. I have written on here before about the grooming/coat issues people have with poodle x breeds. Very few "breeders" of these designer dogs warn potential buyers about how high maintenance the coats will be. Often, they have no idea themselves.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
As a qualified dog groomer my advice would be that it's coat is going to be extremely high maintenance. It will need professional grooming every 6 - 8 week for all its life or it will become very matted. I have written on here before about the grooming/coat issues people have with poodle x breeds. Very few "breeders" of these designer dogs warn potential buyers about how high maintenance the coats will be. Often, they have no idea themselves.

where's the LIKE button?

NellRosk

Visit site

Our poodle x doesn't need a professional grooming every 6-8 weeks. When we got him he was very matted, we cut all the matts out and now brush him every day/ every other day. Only takes a few mins and we usually do it whilst sat on the sofa watching TV so it's really no big deal!!

california dreaming

Visit site
Well, as a cross breed they are all going to be different. BUT as a general rule, I can tell you, that most poodle x need professional grooming every 6 - 8 weeks.
Our poodle x doesn't need a professional grooming every 6-8 weeks. When we got him he was very matted, we cut all the matts out and now brush him every day/ every other day. Only takes a few mins and we usually do it whilst sat on the sofa watching TV so it's really no big deal!!

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Though as a pro groomer perhaps you tend to see the ones that do need grooming every 6-8 weeks?

As a pro groomer I see dogs that need groomed once a year to once a week. But while it might be a quirk that you get a low maintenance coat on a dog like that, it's fairly unlikely considering you have two high maintenance breeds of dogs....

I'm not sure why when someone who is a professional gives advice it's disregarded.

NellRosk

Visit site
Though as a pro groomer perhaps you tend to see the ones that do need grooming every 6-8 weeks?

I would maybe go with this. IMO if you have the time and inclination NO dog ever *needs* to go to a pro groomer if you learn how to brush/ clip a coat. I would say a dog groomer is a luxury for those that don't have the time to do this.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I would maybe go with this. IMO if you have the time and inclination NO dog ever *needs* to go to a pro groomer if you learn how to brush/ clip a coat. I would say a dog groomer is a luxury for those that don't have the time to do this.

I certainly don't see taking my dog to a professional groomer as a luxury.

We both groom (daily) and clip. However I'm not confident in trimming the face and ears. So for me a groomer is an absolute necessity.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
As a pro groomer I see dogs that need groomed once a year to once a week. But while it might be a quirk that you get a low maintenance coat on a dog like that, it's fairly unlikely considering you have two high maintenance breeds of dogs....

I'm not sure why when someone who is a professional gives advice it's disregarded.

I wasn't disregarding it, just suggesting that you guys would be more likely to see the most unruly coats that owners are unable to manage on their own which would skew the stats (scientist alert! :D)

PucciNPoni

Visit site

That's a pretty old school view. WHY does a dog NEED to go to a groomer? because while dog grooming isn't exactly rocket science - cos it really isn't even I'll admit that ;) it IS a learned SKILL - there is a skill in clipping and trimming a dog safely, groomers will health check and look for skin problems, they'll clean/pluck ears, trim nails, and because we don't see the pets every day, sometimes we'll notice things that the owner doesn't because they see them every day and the changes are gradual. However, an observant and skilful owner still could do this. But then there is the cost of the equipment, the space in your home, the time cleaning up after. Grooming IS an essential part of keeping any animal, no matter the breed or coat type. But it's not just a matter of whipping a clipper over the dog's body and calling it a day.

Many pets lives have been saved, no, not an exaggeration - because they brought their dog to be groomed. We find lumps, we notice pyos, we notice when an animal "just isn't right" when we've known them for years. Its not that the owners are clueless or too busy, they aren't always trained to know, how to see, how to feel what we do. We're not vets, but we should be working toward overall animal health.

Off my soapbox now :)

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I wasn't disregarding it, just suggesting that you guys would be more likely to see the most unruly coats that owners are unable to manage on their own which would skew the stats (scientist alert! :D)

Sorry ester, wasn't meaning to have a pop.

But we actually do see lots of animals that come more regularly than you'd expect - used to have a boxer in every 6 weeks up til he died. He was a lovely dog, and he ADORED being groomed. THe owners loved bringing him not because they're house proud weirdos, but because the dog loved it and because it took some of the back break out of deshedding him. I get some dogs every month that could probably be managed at home if the owners had time to properly brush him more. But some people are dog lovers and want a pet but are too arthritic to hold a brush or scissor. Some just haven't got the patience to learn how to put on a good finish or don't have the behaviour and handling training to get a dog to stand on a table. I also see some breeds which for anyone else I'd need to see in six weeks but the owners are so good at the management bit that they come every 3 months (or more) and the dog just needs washed and trimmed, but everything else is great. It takes all types. But back to poodle and beddie cross -- your average pet owner and your average cross of this type is going to need lots of brushing at home, it'll need ear plucking and nail trimming and it'll need to have it's bits cleared of hair for hygiene. It's an endless task with these hairy ones ;) Says me with the 2-3x a week bath/brush on a poodle show coat and once a week trim!

GeeGeeboy

Visit site
Running a set of clippers over a dog or chopping out matts is not grooming. It's quite insulting when owners think proffesional dog grooming is easy and anyone can do it. A lot of owners don't even realise when their dog is matted and as a groomer, I've had to show owners how matted their dogs are and how to brush them properly with the correct tools. As PUCCIPONI says we also pluck ears, clip nails, do hygiene checks, notice lumps and bumps that the owners miss, etc, etc. If you buy a coated breed you must be prepared to have your dog groomed regularly by a Proffesional.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I guess I am also coming from not really knowing anyone with a dog who takes it to the groomers rather than do it themselves.

TGM

Visit site
If you buy a coated breed you must be prepared to have your dog groomed regularly by a Proffesional.
Well I have a bedlington/poodle/collie/whippety type dog with a long coat and I don't have her professionally groomed - so shoot me now! She might not look ready for the show ring but she is happy and healthy!

And to the OP, ours is a fantastic dog - couldn't ask for better!

GeeGeeboy

Visit site
Well I have a bedlington/poodle/collie/whippety type dog with a long coat and I don't have her professionally groomed - so shoot me now! She might not look ready for the show ring but she is happy and healthy!

And to the OP, ours is a fantastic dog - couldn't ask for better!

An exception to the rule then. But MOST long haired or coated breeds or cross breeds require regular Proffesional grooming for all the reasons mentioned in my previous post.

TGM

Visit site
I agree they require regular grooming, but whether that needs to be done professionally is up to the owner's choice. If the owners don't have the time, the skills, the patience or the confidence or whatever to do the job themselves, or they require a perfect finish, then a pro groomer is a great option for them. However I'm quite happy running the clippers over my girl, but am aware it won't be the professional finish some people want and I certainly wouldn't be thinking I could set up as a professional dog groomer! But it does the job for my dog's circumstances and lifestyle. Bit like clipping horses - I'm quite happy to clip my own now, but wouldn't dream of offering my services professionally!

GeeGeeboy

Visit site
I agree they require regular grooming, but whether that needs to be done professionally is up to the owner's choice. If the owners don't have the time, the skills, the patience or the confidence or whatever to do the job themselves, or they require a perfect finish, then a pro groomer is a great option for them. However I'm quite happy running the clippers over my girl, but am aware it won't be the professional finish some people want and I certainly wouldn't be thinking I could set up as a professional dog groomer! But it does the job for my dog's circumstances and lifestyle. Bit like clipping horses - I'm quite happy to clip my own now, but wouldn't dream of offering my services professionally!

That's fair enough. You got any photos of your dog? Sounds like an interesting cross!

NellRosk

Visit site

I must say I agree with this! We're exactly the same :)