Been done to death but this is a personal one…

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
So I moved onto a yard after closure of one. It’s a lovely yard but it doesn’t suit us for various reasons, one of them being that on top of the full livery prices I’m still having to buy feed on top of the feed they supply, not because they don’t supply enough feed, but because of the type of feed and horses requirements. Anyway: it all adds up and I’m looking at my bank account and going I really do need new knickers but horse…(it’s not that bad but you get me)

OH also found out last night how much I’m paying as a friend put her foot in it at a dinner and I was too thrown in the deep end to even try and come up with a more OH friendly number. He was not entirely the happiest so I need to justify things to him a bit (he’s not controlling and we are well off and I have my own money but he is very financially aware etc, you know the type).

Been weighing up options:

1. Been offered a space on the yard where I lost my other horse. It’s a 26 mile round trip so have to factor in diesel but only needs to be done once a day. Will probably add up to what I am spending now with diesel but the initial monthly outlay will be less. It’s assisted DIY with hay and straw included. Has everything we need but has a revolving door it seems and I left for reasons that now seem insignificant but were big at the time. (One of the reasons was that horse that is no longer with us needed 24/7 and they didn’t offer that and I couldn’t have two at separate yards, when he was PTS they had already taken deposits for my other horse’s stable so I had to go but there were other reasons that seemed big at the time but since moving have paled into insignificance). General day to day costs are £520

2. Move back to DIY to a yard 5 miles away. Yard has been greatly improved (3 arenas 2 of them brand new, brand new round pen, brand new stables) but the yard comes with its issues of a manager that was once charged for neglect and death of horses in her care and it having the worst name under the sun due to this. The yard is owned by someone who owns a local show venue and has decided to update this one (doesn’t seem to care about the YM’s previous convictions as they have been there for years). However costs greatly reduced and 24/7 turn out in summer so again reduced even more in summer. General day to day costs are £410

3. Stay where I am, but incurring extra costs and have not the greatest surface to ride on and a tense clique type atmosphere with everyone wanting to know everything about everyone’s business. This yard is a 16 mile round trip once a day. General day to day costs here are £660.

All these costs are not including diesel and time. Weirdly each yard can take anywhere from 15 to 25 minutes to get to depending on time of day/roadworks/traffic.

Advice greatly appreciated as friends have been absolutely no help and weirdly strangers over a more rounded view.

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
Does the fact that it is DIY mean the manager will have very little to do with your horse? Can you pay someone else for services if you need them? If the answer to both of those is yes or IF the YM has learned her lesson (do the changes to the yard suggest this or are they merely cosmetic?) I'd be inclined to go for yard 2.

Widgeon

Visit site
This might not be a popular opinion but if the dreadful manager at Yard 2 is not actively interfering in your care for your horses (it is DIY after all), it might still be worth considering. I guess you'd just know that you can't rely on the YM if you're ever away, so you'd need a good freelancer.

starbucker

Visit site
Do you trust no 2 to look after your horse worrying if your horse has hay in etc can be very stressful. Usually places have a bad rep for a reason especially if turnover is high. I manage fine on ASSISTED DIY working full time. Is there maybe an option 4 lurking about somewhere you may have no heard of? 24/7 turnout in summer is definitely a money saver if this suits your horse

Surbie

Visit site
Given you say the current yard has 'not the greatest surface to ride on and a tense clique type atmosphere' I would move. And as long as the YM had no contact with my horse and allowed freelancers/buddying I would probably take a punt on the DIY option.

Though you aren't clear whether there are additional costs for hay/bedding in the DIY amount - I was assuming not. So that would free up nearly £2.5k for the yearly New Knicker budget and a lot less diesel. ;)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
So I moved onto a yard after closure of one. It’s a lovely yard but it doesn’t suit us for various reasons, one of them being that on top of the full livery prices I’m still having to buy feed on top of the feed they supply, not because they don’t supply enough feed, but because of the type of feed and horses requirements. Anyway: it all adds up and I’m looking at my bank account and going I really do need new knickers but horse…(it’s not that bad but you get me)

OH also found out last night how much I’m paying as a friend put her foot in it at a dinner and I was too thrown in the deep end to even try and come up with a more OH friendly number. He was not entirely the happiest so I need to justify things to him a bit (he’s not controlling and we are well off and I have my own money but he is very financially aware etc, you know the type).

Been weighing up options:

1. Been offered a space on the yard where I lost my other horse. It’s a 26 mile round trip so have to factor in diesel but only needs to be done once a day. Will probably add up to what I am spending now with diesel but the initial monthly outlay will be less. General day to day costs are £520

2. Move back to DIY to a yard 5 miles away. Yard has been greatly improved (3 arenas 2 of them brand new, brand new round pen, brand new stables) but the yard comes with its issues of a manager that was once charged for neglect and death of horses in her care and it having the worst name under the sun due to this. However costs greatly reduced and 24/7 turn out in summer so again reduced even more in summer. General day to day costs are £410

3. Stay where I am, but incurring extra costs and have not the greatest surface to ride on and a tense clique type atmosphere. This yard is a 16 mile round trip once a day. General day to day costs here are £660.

All these costs are not including diesel and time. Weirdly each yard can take anywhere from 15 to 25 minutes to get to depending on time of day/roadworks/traffic.

Advice greatly appreciated as friends have been absolutely no help and weirdly strangers over a more rounded view.
Did you ask what was included before you went to view???

Sorry here also I show them what is included, and if they want different owner has to supply, with all the feed makes and feed types now compared to the 70' sand 80's it is impossible for a yard to cater for all diets. I have been left with many bags of unsuitable feeds after someone leaves which all costs money.

I personally would rather drive further and have my horse in a yard that suits, than on the door step and be not what we need.

So I say go for option 2.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
As long as the YO hasn’t been beating the horses or abusing them I would go to the DIY yard , As it’s cheaper you could employ a freelance groom if you needed help if the YO allows . I’ve always been on diy and haven’t had any problems with yard owners . Also the 24/7 summer turnout would be good.. why not move there and see how you get on , you can always move somewhere else if it’s not right

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
Given you say the current yard has 'not the greatest surface to ride on and a tense clique type atmosphere' I would move. And as long as the YM had no contact with my horse and allowed freelancers/buddying I would probably take a punt on the DIY option.

Though you aren't clear whether there are additional costs for hay/bedding in the DIY amount - I was assuming not. So that would free up nearly £2.5k for the yearly New Knicker budget and a lot less diesel. ;)

I’ve added all the costs up, so the costs in the OP are what I would be spending give or take.

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
Did you ask what was included before you went to view???

Sorry here also I show them what is included, and if they want different owner has to supply, with all the feed makes and feed types now compared to the 70' sand 80's it is impossible for a yard to cater for all diets. I have been left with many bags of unsuitable feeds after someone leaves which all costs money.

I personally would rather drive further and have my horse in a yard that suits, than on the door step and be not what we need.

So I say go for option 2.

I did ask them what was included, and tbf I was shown. YO is really lovely. But unfortunately the feeds on offer left him with no energy and have a very low amino acid profile, hence my reason for going out and buying a complete feed. The move from this yard is no reflection on the YO, but rather the fact that it does not suit our needs for various reasons, is cliquey and everyone needs to be involved (que my saddle fit this afternoon).

Unfortunately it was a rather rushed/hasty move as yard closed down and whilst we were allowed to stay, the basic standards of care had slipped drastically to the point where sometimes horses didn’t even have water and the hay was mouldy. So this yard very kindly took us in.

Fred66

Visit site
I’ve added all the costs up, so the costs in the OP are what I would be spending give or take.
From what you have said then other than the bad reputation then yard 2 seems the best option, it’s nearer, the facilities are good, the turnout is good.

As others have said it’s DIY so the yard owner should have minimal contact and the charge related to neglect not to direct abuse so unless you will need to rely on them for assisted a lot it shouldn’t be a problem.

You don’t sound happy in general at yard 3 and losing a horse at yard 1 might make you uncomfortable and isn’t really going to save a lot anyway.

Surbie

Visit site
Then I'd definitely give it a go, and have yard 1 or a different option completely as a backup if it doesn't work.

eta: I do really empathise about having to make a rushed move that turns out not to be ideal, I think lots of us have been there. I certainly have.

Squeak

Visit site
Would you have time for and enjoy being DIY? I personally much prefer looking after my horse but it's not possible for everyone and if it will add a lot more stress to your life then the money you'd be saving could be at a high price.

If you are happy with DIY though then I'd go for option 2 as long as YM wouldn't have anything to do with your horse.

eggs

Visit site
I would go for option 2 and find a reliable free lancer who will do a couple of days a week (so they know your horse and routine) and holiday cover if needed.

On DIY I wouldn't expect the YO to have any day to day control / care of my horse.

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
Would you have time for and enjoy being DIY? I personally much prefer looking after my horse but it's not possible for everyone and if it will add a lot more stress to your life then the money you'd be saving could be at a high price.

If you are happy with DIY though then I'd go for option 2 as long as YM wouldn't have anything to do with your horse.

I actually used to be on DIY, but moved to full as I felt that I would have my life back. Which I do. BUT, if it’s a case of having what we need vs what we don’t if that makes sense…

Spirit7

Visit site
I did ask them what was included, and tbf I was shown. YO is really lovely. But unfortunately the feeds on offer left him with no energy and have a very low amino acid profile, hence my reason for going out and buying a complete feed. The move from this yard is no reflection on the YO, but rather the fact that it does not suit our needs for various reasons, is cliquey and everyone needs to be involved (que my saddle fit this afternoon).

Unfortunately it was a rather rushed/hasty move as yard closed down and whilst we were allowed to stay, the basic standards of care had slipped drastically to the point where sometimes horses didn’t even have water and the hay was mouldy. So this yard very kindly took us in.
Maybe you could look for an alternative feed that’s the same price and ask yard owner to order for you? Most yards have a wholesaler they can work with or a discount feed shop order ?

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
Thanks for advice everyone.

I actually decided against the DIY yard as I personally would be compromising my values on animal welfare in terms of enabling someone who has had the RSPCA involved. If that makes sense.

Unfortunately there are very few yards left in my area.

I have gone for devil you know 1st yard and I’m happy with the decision.

There was a 4th yard option in fact, was offered to me yesterday morning but, although it is a very lovely DIY yard, I didn’t think that it would be suitable for what we needed and I would have only really moved there as a friend keeps her horse there.

I have given notice…here is another question, I’ve only been at the yard 3 weeks, I explained my reasons for leaving. I don’t have a contract. The YM was lovely about it, albeit “surprised” at my reasons. And when I went yesterday they were in their clique and I was all but ignored and felt awkward interrupting to ask a question or two. Anyway…I was asked to give a month.

As I’ve only been there 3 weeks and don’t have a contract do I really have to give a month or can I leave at the end of this month (which means they would have had 2 weeks notice) without being penalised. Or leave at the beginning end of this month and pay their DIY rate for the further 2 weeks (most of the yard is DIY anyway).

Fransurrey

Visit site
As I’ve only been there 3 weeks and don’t have a contract do I really have to give a month or can I leave at the end of this month (which means they would have had 2 weeks notice) without being penalised. Or leave at the beginning end of this month and pay their DIY rate for the further 2 weeks (most of the yard is DIY anyway).
If you can swallow the cost, I would move at the end of the month and still pay your remaining rent. I would ask if they would consider this at the DIY rate, or at a bare minimum with costs of feed/bedding removed. Alternatively, stay the full month and use the time to go through all your stuff to make sure you have all your DIY needs! make sure you haven't given away/sold vital tools...etc.. The horse world is too small to burn bridges.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Personally, I'd give them the notice they're asking for as a courtesy since they were kind to take you at short notice when you were in trouble. Leave in as friendly way as you can - it's a small world.