Been for a Gamma Scintigraphy today, but still confused. SI pain or not??

itsonlyme

Visit site
So, Dolly-Pony is a 12.2hh 11 year old Welsh A cross. She came back off loan and didn't seem right. I noticed she was dipping her back when groomed, so called her physio out. Basically, she'd lost weight whilst out on loan and her saddle had become too wide and was sitting on her withers (which are non-existant - she's a barrell!) Three physio sessions later, no more flinching, so we got to work.

Still not right.

I'm too big for her, i know that (i'm 9 stone), but she's a stocky little thing. But i was worried i was squishing her! I got people to watch me ride her and the general opinion was "she's not right, but i can't see why".

So i called the vet. Trotted up sound inhand and on the lunge on hard ground. But as soon as she was trotted under saddle, she went wierd again. The vet said it was unusual to be so sound inhand, then go so lame when ridden. She checked her over, but found nothing, so Buted for 10 days, boxrested for 14, then the vet came back and she was exactly the same.

We took her into the vets last week; the plan being to nerve block. Did all the usual trot-ups and stuff and our vet decided that it was probably a waste of time nerve-blocking because in her opinion the lameness (which was in both hind legs by the way) was high up and just referred us straight to Leahurst.

Took her there yesterday. 4 vets, plus students, all looking quite confused! She's taking shorter strides with her left hind, but spending less time on her right hind... She's also dishing outwards with her right hind in walk.

Conformation-wise, she's quite straight behind.

Anyway, left her at Leahurst so they could nerve-block her hocks (they were thinking spavins of both hinds), but when they phoned to let me know how they got on, it turns out that Dolly had absolutley NO intention of letting anybody stick any needles into her legs! So after several failed attempts, they had to give up.

She had a gamma scan today, which showed...not a lot :( Apparently both legs were glowing all the way down more than 'normal', but nothing significant. The left was glowing 30% more than the right (which i thought was a lot, but vet said not). Ruled out any arthritic changes. The other place that glowed a BIT was the sacroiliac joint.

She's radioactive now for 48 hours, so has to stay in horsepital and can't be touched. On monday, they're going to xray her fetlocks and hocks, but are guessing they won't show anything. They're then going to TRY and nerve-block the SI and see what happens.

God, that's really long isn't it?! Sorry! Basically, what i was wondering is if it IS sacro pain, has anyone got any experience of this? Vet was saying there isn't much they can do other than physio and whacking a load of drugs into the joint and working her on bute for a while. Is this true? What about the long-term?

If it isn't sacro pain, anyone have any other ideas what it could be? The vets think that sometimes, some horses just "develop these abnormal gaits and you can't do anything about it"....

Sorry for the ramble and thanks in advance for any help :) x

foxy1

Visit site
If she only does it when ridden then surely it HAS to be to do with back/saddle?

She should cope with 9 stone when she's 'right' but she obviously isn't at the moment.

Was her back investigated? I had a little cob mare who had arthiritis in the vertebrae in the spine; she was 100% sound on lunge/trot up/flexions but with a rider on she had an odd stuffy gait behind. She couldn't be ridden again but has gone to lovely loan home as a companion.

itsonlyme

Visit site
Oh I forgot to mention, since the initial exams, she has started showing the 'lameness' on the lunge & a teeny tiny bit when trotted up on the straight.
They don't seem to think it's her back, but I agree with u though - it would make sense if it was. Hope we don't have to retire her though! x

EQUISCENE

Visit site
Lots of posts on here about sacroiliac pain, I am going through the rehab following medication with my horse at the moment. Generally the prognosis isnt too good as it is a difficult area to treat and injury reoccurs very easily apparently..

foxy

Visit site
Mine is currently in rehab for a sacroiliac pain, he is progressing well but it has been a while, he was diagnosed in April and I am only just starting to ride him properly. My vet is optimistic that he will return to full work. Wait to see what the xrays show, the problems in the hind legs may well be caused by the pain in the sacroiliac area.

Mine was sound in hand the problem only showed when ridden, he too had developed a strange gait.

Good luck, there are alots of post on here it seems there are quite a few horses with the same problems

Mystified

Visit site
We had been treating my daughters pony 14.2hh for the last 9 months with what the vet thought was SI pain.

I asked to be referred to Svend and it turns out he has spavins in both his hind hocks, worse in the right (which my vet diagnosed but said wasn't the problem). After x-rays and scans of his back it turns out that he also has damage to his supraspinous ligament that runs along his back.

Prognosis not good, now injecting hocks and if all goes okay after 3 weeks will look at treating the back with Mesotherapy injections. Then its 6 weeks of pessoa lunging. And then bring back into work slowly.

So it will mean over a year of rehab.

For me you have to trust your gut and if you are not sure ask for a referral.

mrussell

Visit site
We are also taking our girl in for Gamma Scintigraphy for SI pain... so I googled your results and found this..

http://www.equinescienceupdate.co.uk/sslig.htm

which suggests most horses present with abnormalties of the S/Ligament and only 1/3rd had any back pain. Hopefully your fella will come right with hock treatment as the SI pain could well be compensatory. Fingers crossed xxx

angwynsmum

Visit site
Hi i am going through a very similar situation. We're awaiting his scan next week at Leahurst and i have to say, i'm worried sick. He's been lame for ages now and seems to be getting worse. He's lame in his hind right but does not respond when hocks flexed nor does he have any swelling etc.

It's a mystery!

I hope we find out soon and i hope its something we can put right.

Fingers crossed for you too.

itsonlyme

Visit site
Thank u all for your replies. X-rays never showed anything, so they're treating her as though it is an SI injury. They've medicated the SI, started her on Cartrophen injections, physiotherapy (who today agreed that her back is very sore) , bute & shockwave treatment. Thank God for insurance!
Guess we'll just have to wait & see how it goes now...

Good luck with all of your ponios too :) xx