BEF Futurity - anyone involved on this forum ?

Horseyhel

Visit site
Oh my goodness have just seen my inbox.... indifferent judging, poor and inaccurate feedback or no feedback, rudeness are the main gripes, BUT as with myself, happy with the Vets opinion and attitude.

Whizz105

Visit site
I have been twice now and been pleased. with anything there are good things and things that could be improved but personally the judges were polite and made me feel like i have breed a good quality filly.
I went again this year to improve on my score from last year as she didn't show a canter as a foal and this year i learned a valuable lesson not to bring in from.the field the day of futurity! :) she was tired and didn't show herself off like i have seen her do...she even had a wee in front of the judges!!
So i completely agree with the comment 'could show more purpose' lol oh and vet had in big letters 'overweight'
At the end of the day she got a first premium and beat last years score with a not a great show!

I am confused about marking down if pony or horse when they are not separated in the results though and in previous results you can not see what discipline they were marked in.

foxy1

Visit site
The whole concept is flawed anyway; if you watch the horses warming up for a grand prix jumping class as I did recently, you will see they are all shapes and sizes and types. Very few have 'correct' conformation and lots (most) don't move straight. Same applies to the eventers, have a look at the trot up photo's from any of the big events.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Copied my response to your post in NL
How disgusting that you signed up just to slate the Futurity & then do not have the balls to do it under your own name!!! Shame on you, nothing but a coward & as such I wont take what you have written as anything but sour grapes!!

It is impossible to please all the people all the time, but people like you are just flamming well sad. Hardly anything in life is perfect, but when there are people trying to make improvements & they get the likes of you slating them publically behind some made up name, well it pees me off! Did you take your gripes directly to them? Where they then ignored? Perhaps then you had reason for this shoddy response.

Holly831

Visit site
We attended for the 3rd year running today and had a thoroughly enjoyable and informative day. :D

Yes, it has its faults but it is getting better and better and at the moment is the best we have.

A lot of people put a lot of time and effort in to the series and, as British breeders, we should be supporting them.

I have had my niggles in the past and have put pen to paper to voice my opinion - point is I wrote to them not poured rubbish out on a forum. :(

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
We attended for the 3rd year running today and had a thoroughly enjoyable and informative day. :D

Yes, it has its faults but it is getting better and better and at the moment is the best we have.

A lot of people put a lot of time and effort in to the series and, as British breeders, we should be supporting them.

I have had my niggles in the past and have put pen to paper to voice my opinion - point is I wrote to them not poured rubbish out on a forum. :(

We really do need a HHO 'like' button :D

ihatework

Visit site
I'm not quite on board with the benefits of the evaluation as a whole, too many flaws for my liking. But what I do think is good is the vet evaluation - I would happily pay the entry fee for what seems to always be an unbiased vet evaluation, with helpful comments of small things that can be changed now to make a potentially significant impact to health down the line.

Comments of the main evaluators, well take it with a pinch of salt and just treat the experience as a useful outing for the youngster!

s4sugar

Visit site
I did consider taking my youngster as it is a very cheap way to get a thorough all over vetting.
He slips between the cracks on types being bred to make a 15.2 allrounder so too small to get considered for SJ or eventing and would probably be closer to endurance than dressage.
Had a grading been available closer when I could get I would have taken him as a baby but as he's a gelding who is not for sale it is a lot of expense. Had he been entire I would make the effort.

prosoup

Visit site
I also think it's a good opportunity for you to get a vet to check your youngster over and to give you advice on changes that can be met. There is - or has been in the past - a representative from a feed company who are happy to offer advise, and from a worming advisor. These are valuable to any breeder.

I wonder if they could adjust the timings for the evaluation in the arena bit of the day so that the evaluators can spend a few minutes talking to the handler or owner in a bit more detail about their observations on the animal.

A call for more stewards might be useful, and perhaps for those volunteering to wear a BEF "steward 2012" T Shirt or Polo Shirt so that they are easily identifiable to participants - they could keep this as "payment" at the end of the day. We do this at work for volunteers at events and it always goes down very well - it need only be three or four at a venue (say a pair for the morning and a pair for the afternoon), which a single entry fee would easily cover with change. Obviously the stewards would have to know the rules and procedures so that they can actually help people. Power needs responsibility.

It seems to me that a lack of communication is one of the biggest flaws with the scheme - this is down to funding and understaffing, in my opinion.

dianchi

Visit site
As per my original post to you in NL I think that with ANY equine event you get good points and bad.

Can't say I've had a bad experience and I'm looking forward to going next month, I've learnt from the parts where I let my filly down last year. Can honestly say that the judges were not rude at all. And the vet is the same as this year which I'm very pleased about too!

Asha

Visit site
Copied my response to your post in NL
How disgusting that you signed up just to slate the Futurity & then do not have the balls to do it under your own name!!! Shame on you, nothing but a coward & as such I wont take what you have written as anything but sour grapes!!

It is impossible to please all the people all the time, but people like you are just flamming well sad. Hardly anything in life is perfect, but when there are people trying to make improvements & they get the likes of you slating them publically behind some made up name, well it pees me off! Did you take your gripes directly to them? Where they then ignored? Perhaps then you had reason for this shoddy response.

Why are you so down right rude ??

OP has clearly had a bad experience at a professional event and felt the need to talk to others. What is so wrong with that, from the replies she isnt the only one either.

Personally, i enjoy the BEF and have been for a few years now, but can see why people have gripes.

OP, as i previously posted, dont be put off by the BEF or by rude posters on here !

cundlegreen

Visit site
. But what I do think is good is the vet evaluation - I would happily pay the entry fee for what seems to always be an unbiased vet evaluation, with helpful comments of small things that can be changed now to make a potentially significant impact to health down the line.

QUOTE]

Absolutely agree with this..... I try to sell my youngstock as foals or yearlings. They are always up for sale after the Futurity, and potential buyers are usually swayed by the vet mark that they get. We've been lucky to get several 9.5's which goes down very well!!

Lgd

Visit site
I've had positive experiences but was a little disappointed with my two boys this time out.
Not down to the evaluator at all they can only judge what is in front of them - the heat and journey got to the foal and he was tired so not his usual oingy boingy self and didn't show his best paces. He still got a good first premium and had a good vet mark.

My 2yo stallion was embarrassing :eek: as he was just too laid back and sniffed his way round the indoor, stopped to admire himself in the cafe window, stopped to say Hi! to a friend whose yard he lived on last year (probably hoping for food :rolleyes:) and tried to eat the flower pots (actually he succeeded :D ). Far more interested in investigating than going when Mum said. He still got a first premium but again I know he is better than his mark, he just did not show to his best. I was also just pleased to get him there as he has been stuck in for best part of a month with a huge foot abscess and had only been getting some short leg stretches in the field for the last week. Apart from one naughty boing during his vet inspection he was a perfect gentleman even with lots of mares around so have to be pleased with his manners.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Why are you so down right rude ??

OP has clearly had a bad experience at a professional event and felt the need to talk to others. What is so wrong with that, from the replies she isnt the only one either.

Personally, i enjoy the BEF and have been for a few years now, but can see why people have gripes.

OP, as i previously posted, dont be put off by the BEF or by rude posters on here !

Oh so sorry Asha, of course the other poster was not rude, no of course not. And signing up with a different name just to slate the organisers is not rude or cowardly either. Well you are entitled to your opinion & I am entitled to mine & we have both aired them so arn't we the happy bunnies!!

Worried1

Visit site
I did futurity last year, we followed the video instructions to the letter. We were really disapointed when they said out mare lacked desire to go forwards. Having watched others I realised we had not 'chased' her enough.

The vet on this occasion was also very rude and kept us waiting for nearly 15 minutes, stopping his conversation only when we were asked by a steward to go into the arena.

With hindsight we should have put her forward for eventing. As a pure dressage horse the did not like her, I think as an eventer they would have been kinder. Certainly several well known breeders were putting dressage bloodlines through as eventers!

This year, having learnt what they are looking for we took Benny.

I chased him ;)

The set up at Catherston was much more friendly and the vet could not have been nicer.

Again I learnt more, we should have travelled down the night before. He was tired and not as uphill as he can be.

He got a higher first.

I'm not a professional breeder, I breed one a year. I was very disapointed with Roxy in 2011 but if I'm brutally honest Benny is a much better stamp and type.

I have learnt many things and it's definitely influencing my thoughts on stallions.

I still think roxy is a super type and I really like her, however farouche she isn't.

It's very easy to see your own through rose tinted specs, I for one am very guilty of this. Clearly I think all my babies are stunning!!!!!!!! :D

Visit site
I have never presented at one of these things and went to see my first at Arena UK with a view to taking my two foals next year, however I did notice one thing - very few handlers if any, knew how to free school - far to many were getting in front of their horses shoulder and waving the whips at the face and neck, effectivly stoping the horse from moving forward. (And no this wasnt to turn them). Stop "chasing" your horses, spread out in a line and pass the horse from person to person, you'll get a lot more from your horse if it goes in the same driection for more than two strides!

Perhaps the handlers need to practice free schooling with their babies a bit more to get the best from them.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I have never presented at one of these things and went to see my first at Arena UK with a view to taking my two foals next year, however I did notice one thing - very few handlers if any, knew how to free school - far to many were getting in front of their horses shoulder and waving the whips at the face and neck, effectivly stoping the horse from moving forward. (And no this wasnt to turn them). Stop "chasing" your horses, spread out in a line and pass the horse from person to person, you'll get a lot more from your horse if it goes in the same driection for more than two strides!

Perhaps the handlers need to practice free schooling with their babies a bit more to get the best from them.

This is what we have been trying to do, especially as mine has become rather laid back about everything! Hopefully the change of scenery will wake him up!

Capriole

Visit site
I must say, Im pretty disappointed in the official photographs :eek:

If Id have taken some of those they would have been deleted, not put online for sale!

The ones of the horse going away from camera so its just an anonymous horses ar$e are bad enough, but there are quite a few where the back legs and tail or ears are chopped off the picture, useless :(