BEF Futurity

Hollie anne

Visit site
Hi there, I am not from the uk but now living here. Just wondering do you know how many foals a year are given elite vs high premium, premium etc gradings? Thanks

eventrider23

Visit site
Couldn't give an exact answer although if you look at their results page you could calculate last years, but there are a LOT of 1st and high 1st. Quite a few elites overall but usually only a couple at each venue.

prosoup

Visit site
As above - there are usually fairly similar marks given out at the futurity - there will be a handful of elites, some tantilisingly close to elite and then some lower down but still in the first premium bracket. I think often the difference between first-higher-elite can be explained simply by the presentation of the animals - some people are better at showing off their stock than others, and this can have a big influence on the marks.

A friendly foal who goes up to the evaluators or stays near its owner may well get a point added for temperament, but I suspect if it didn't show itself off, would lose points in more categories - paces and athleticism add up to more than temperament, so if your foal doesn't really trot and canter out, you are going to be marked down.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Any foal with generally correct conformation and movement will get first premium.

Thanks, that makes those of us who got second premium or below feel so much better ;) ;) ;)

That's another reason the soon to be introduced if they ever do Riding Club section will be difficult to assess because nearly everyone wants theirs to be eligible for an Elite whether it's the right type or not.

ATM if I've got it right, the Second Premiums are for those thought to make nice RC types, the Firsts of any description for more your affiliated types and the Elites thought to be international prospects. Please correct me if that's wrong and I'll shut up.

I personally feel they could do a lot better than calling them firsts or seconds, that does imply failure even though it should not be seen as such because they are different categories after all so the good RC achievers shouldn't be relegated to a Second Premium because they are the top of their category and should be rewarded as such.

I know what I mean, hope others can follow that logic! :)

prosoup

Visit site
I personally feel they could do a lot better than calling them firsts or seconds, that does imply failure even though it should not be seen as such because they are different categories

I too find the designations "elite", "first", "second" problematical. I wonder if it might be best if all entrants just had a rosette and a certificate of attendance with their score printed on it and the classes were abandoned.

Buyers would still know that a score of 9.00 is better than a score of say 7.35, but there wouldn't be such discrimination or the stigma of being branded second class.

EstherYoung

Visit site
To be honest I wasn’t bothered about the grading for mine, but what I wanted was feedback. I wanted some sort of idea as to what his strengths and weaknesses were for the discipline I’d entered him for, whether there was anything I needed to watch out for as he grew and as he started work, and whether there were any types of competitions that I should aim him at. What I got was the vet saying that he was one of the best, soundest and toughest horses she’d seen that day, and the panel saying that he was the worst horse they’d seen that day. We wouldn’t have even got the 2nd premium had he not had the excellent vet score. I was told that he was croup high (he was a yearling at the time), that he was ‘too square in his frame’ (he’s half welsh, it goes with the territory) and that he was ‘too temperamental’ (he galloped and sprayed the audience with liquid poo – I think he thought it was funny). It was a lot of money to pay to still be confused two years later ;) And yes I have given the BEF feedback, positive and negative and hopefully constructive, both on my experiences with mine and with my friends horses and the only response I’ve had from that feedback is that they would discuss it at their next meeting.

I do support the idea of futurity and part of me would like to take my other youngster, but as I have no idea whether he would be what they were looking for either and I have no idea whether the level of feedback has improved since we last did it, I don’t know whether to bother and I’m inclined not to.

Maybe I entered with the wrong expectations. I know neither of mine are international prospects, but I do rather hope they may have a long distance or two in them at some point (plans being baaad and all that). I wouldn’t enter a ‘general riding horse’ futurity because what I specifically wanted was the feedback for my discipline, which is what I didn’t get.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
This is an Evaluation of youngstock not a grading. I am more then happy with the comments received & as I respect Jane Nixon & her knowledge have no problem accepting her comments. They are making an evalaution of the youngsters on the day. They have to attend a yearly assessment themselves where they have to evaluate horses and give their reasons. Nothing is perfect when it comes to human judgement, but I do not believe they have done such a bad job so far. None of them can control how these youngsters are produced, so if they do not go onto Olympic, International or whatever level may not actually be due to anything more then injuries or incorrect preparation.

Capriole

Visit site
Well, this year was the first time Id been and I found it worthwhile. I didnt show off my yearling to the best, I fully admit it was me and not her, but I couldnt get a gallop out of her so lost the marks. But I was delighted with the vets comments and the day was worth it just for that (got a 9).
I will be taking her again next year, along with this years foal, all going well. And hopefully I will show them off better next time :)

To the op, I think all the scores going back, are on the website, you could enter them into a database to get some idea of statistics.

Asha

Visit site
Personally i believe the gradings for the 3 year olds are much more relevant than the foals.

The foals are a guide, based on what is seen on the day, and as we all know foals change dramatically. I believe this is reflected in the grading, and they are more stringent the older the horse/pony gets.

Plus with jumpers/eventers its technique & willingness over a fence needs assessing.

It would be great if all foals entered are represented as 3 year olds, and see if the marks are consistent.