BEF Fuurity - don't bother

kintara22

New User
Visit site
Sorry but this is completely contrary to my experience of BEF futurity and I'm looking forward to going at the end of August. Would say you were unlucky and wh didn't you post inbreeding where you would have got more help/support

Its good to hear that Hartpury may not be fully representative of these events, as for the comments that this thread should be in a different category on here, there is nothing stopping those that post in the breeding section from chipping in here,in fact they are noticeably absent. I'm not sure how or if a thread can be switched? Maybe a moderator could help with this?

kintara22

New User
Visit site
It's a forum and it is accepted practice not to use your own name, it's hardly being underhand :confused: I would however urge OP to make a formal complaint, as I believe others are doing.

I have heard similar from a couple of very experienced breeders this year, about the same venue. Very disappointing. Agree also about the methods used to wind up the youngsters, there was an outcry on the forum last year at the practices used in arab showing and I don't see this as being much different :(

I totally agree, and lets face it sadly it could be quite risky in this tiny world that if we all used our real names our 'reputations' would go before us and we could be even worse off. I do not believe the disatisfied on here are suffering from sour grapes, more like wanting a guaranteed level playing field, encouragement, better advance information on what is and isn't acceptable and decent organisation on the day, if our entry fees and Baileys support can't provide this without depending on volunteers, especially at places like Hartpury, why bother? I hope the person that says we have 'no balls' isn't a judge

Luci07

Visit site
But end of the day....a sad experience and interesting.....really positive comments about Richmond ( consistent) and negative (Hartpury )

ribbons

Visit site
There has been a posting on the breeders forum about this by the OP when it was first suggested he/she did so. Very little response on there.

pixiebee

Visit site
sounds to me like like alot (not all) people want their horses the highest grading possible to increase the value of the horse or their own bragging and thus any consideration for the horses themselves goes out the window. Boils down to money at the end of the day I reckon. Whatver happened to taking a horse as you find it and enjoying its strengths....

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I totally agree, and lets face it sadly it could be quite risky in this tiny world that if we all used our real names our 'reputations' would go before us and we could be even worse off. I do not believe the disatisfied on here are suffering from sour grapes, more like wanting a guaranteed level playing field, encouragement, better advance information on what is and isn't acceptable and decent organisation on the day, if our entry fees and Baileys support can't provide this without depending on volunteers, especially at places like Hartpury, why bother? I hope the person that says we have 'no balls' isn't a judge

Well said.

FTR, I believe that if something is not run correctly or up to scratch then entrants do have the right to speak out on here or anywhere else for that matter as they have been short changed but they should also take their grievance to the main committee too. I hope they have and improvements can be made so threads like these become a thing of the past.

For the one who only had one evaluator, then that is totally unacceptable and in hindsight perhaps they should have insisted on the full compliment but it's not the thing you think of at the time or want to appear as a trouble maker either but I'm very surprised that this wasn't automatically offered by the evaluators themselves. Surely it's not too much to expect that proceedings could be halted altogether for those five minutes and it was unfair on the entrant to be treated that way IMO as one opinion was not what was paid for.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Oh of course if is fully acceptable to sign on just to slate others without first letting them have their say on the points in question. No you would not mind if someone had a gripe with you, & instead of taking it up with you, to allow you to answer the points, they just came on a public forum to slate you instead. .

But the OP was not against just one person but the organisation as a whole. If it was totally personal to one person then yes, I'd agree with you, it should be between themselves but it wasn't and if an organisation that has been producing the Futurity for some years now hasn't learnt by now how it should be run for entrants then perhaps it needs a short sharp shock to get some pro action from them in future so that everyone can go home happy from the experience at least if not their own marks; let's face it, they pay enough for the privilege.
Either way, for just one entrant to go away from them with negative and confused opinions is one entrant too many when you consider the experience they (BEF) have; it's not like it's the first year they've put these on.

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
The spaces fill up very quickly for all the venues, so I think there are far more happy customers than disgruntled ones. What is the old saying :

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time

:D

I also like the suggestion made: Those who feel the series could do with improving are more than welcome to offer their services for 2013, volunteers are always a welcome sight :)

LilMissy

Visit site
I went to Hartpury and there were good and bad points.

A few signs would have been helpful! You only need on person put a sign in the car park stating vetting this way >

Vet was fab, on time generally and Baileys person there to give advice if required.

Jan was generally at the gate to get sheets and direct you into the arena.

Entries were all over the place but think this was more that people were late, had issues and tended to 'slot in' when they could. There was definately a two/three year old in the afternoon after the foals had finished who 'should' have been there about three hours previous. BUT its doesnt take a genius to get to the vet on time, wait your turn and be seen! Numbers were followed if they were waiting. Others just slotted in.

Hartpury as a venue had a few things they could have done better, like having a member of staff available! However, when I spoke to the Futurity about a problem with the spanish competitors turning up I did feel a bit fobbed off. They chose the venue so at least finding the correct person to speak to would have been helpful even if they cant do anything about it themselves. To be fair to Hartpury they did sort out the initial problem sharpish but seemed a bit overwhelmed with the influx of people and horses! It went from being lovely, quiet and welcoming to youngsters to a manic mess with people, cars and caravans everywhere!

Evaluators gave feedback on the microphone after assessment. They also would speak to the person if approached. I could see they were getting frustrated with the lack of preparation of horses being presented. If you cant get it to canter then they cant evaluate that pace!

There are youtube videos of others presenting horses as well as the one on thier site. I feel its a lot of money to spend and then expect direction thoughout, I certainly feel better when I know what I need to do infront of the evaluators. A little bit of stress in finding where to take your horse was quite enough for everyone!

Im just wondering aloud, do those of you who showjump expect the judge to stand in the middle and point out the next jump? Or dressage, do you learn your test and PRACTISE before you go?

I certainly NEVER saw any evaluator hit a horse. In some cases where the person presenting, for what ever reason, didnt have a lunge whip or another person with them they did get one of the people with them to wave a lunge whip about.

The worst I personally saw was one horse who looked totally surprised and a little offended when its handler unclipped and tried to send away. Nice tempered horse who did go away and then caught after but probably not had a lot of practise?

A few of the horses were napping towards the exit and I did see the evaluators move into that space to try to stop them doing so or the horses would then just stand at the gate.

There were no 'arab' show techniques (except me! I was vocal -clicking- as this is what I taught mine to try to rev them up a bit!). I certainly dont think its any crueler (sp) to 'gee up' the youngsters with a lunge whip whilst they are loose in a big arena than to wave it after them when you start to back them and are trying to teach them to go forward on the lunge, for example. Yes some had rattly cans for thier own horses but frankly most of the babies were having such a good time running around they didnt take much notice!!

I think Hartpury as a venue is impressive but its a big place and if there arent enough staff provided by Hartpury then maybe the BEF needs to re-evaluate thier choice? I know I spent 20mins looking for someone re the stabling and eventually found a number taped to a door! I was also really annoyed about the timings re the Spanish show that weekend. They started arriving as the foals were being presented on the Friday. At one point a stallion was dumped in a stable in the CLOSED mare and foal barn :-O It then took us ages to get out as they insisted on using the top car park for caravans, horse boxes, trailers and cars. They didnt use any of the bottom car parks which were open. Think Hartpury needed someone to give them direction. Luckily mine werent fazed by roaring stallions prancing around!! But think it REALLY upset one mare with her small foal at foot.

I think the Futurity is a step in the right direcion for British Breeders but as Cruisline says you are never going to please everyone, all of the time. Its a learning curve for everyone and constructive feedback obviously does filter through. Hence the change in the evaluators having the horses breeding this year. An interesting experiment that raised competely different issues I think???

elliefiz

Visit site
The spaces fill up very quickly for all the venues, so I think there are far more happy customers than disgruntled ones. What is the old saying :

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time

:D

What a ridiculous quote to use. I sincerely hope you dont run a business if this is your attitude. Anyone who has paying clients will know that keeping them happy is the key to running a business and not just some of them but all of them. The BEF Futurity is run as a business- people are paying for a service that is obviously below par if they feel the need to complain. The fact that there have been other posts in agreement with the OP shows that this isnt just one persons opinion. As others have said the horse world can appear very small at times. Bad service and dissatisfied clients are a reputation any equine related business should strive to avoid because a bad repuation tends to stick.

LilMissy

Visit site
What a ridiculous quote to use. I sincerely hope you dont run a business if this is your attitude. Anyone who has paying clients will know that keeping them happy is the key to running a business and not just some of them but all of them. The BEF Futurity is run as a business- people are paying for a service that is obviously below par if they feel the need to complain. The fact that there have been other posts in agreement with the OP shows that this isnt just one persons opinion. As others have said the horse world can appear very small at times. Bad service and dissatisfied clients are a reputation any equine related business should strive to avoid because a bad repuation tends to stick.

I dont think its ridiculous. It depends on your perception.

Constructive Feedback
Hartpury as a venue left a bit to be desired. Other venues much better so not directly relating to Futurity but something they need to take on board.

More stewards or some signs would also have been helpful.

However,

Is this a showing masterclass? No
Your money was paid to get a vet assessment and an evaluation.
Should they be expected to direct you every step of the way? I personally dont think so.
In all walks of life you need to take responsibilty for yourself. You need to prepare for an interview. You need to prepare for exams. Why shouldnt you be expected to prepare yourself and your horses for the BEF?? As I said in my previous post, you wouldnt expect your showjump judge to stand in the middle and point to the next jump!!!

I agree that the equine world is behind in terms of its general customer service. Having come from a Customer Service background myself a lot of equine establishments leave much to be desired!

However, there are some fantastic services offered by equine people who realise that they do need to make an effort along these lines. I also happen to know that Cruiseline is one of those as I have used her business myself!!

If you can keep 100% of YOUR customers happy at all times then I think you should be running the country!!!

pigsmight:)

Visit site
Elliefiz I don't believe it is a rediculas quote to use at all, it is infact very true especially when you are having to evaluate someones pride and joy, because let's face it not everyone is going to hear what they want to hear.

I am not defending the Futurity because I was not there and it is a shame if people were not given the time and information they needed but surely it is better to deal with the venue/ organisers direct and give them a chance to explain.

birchave0

Visit site
the thread below is over 3 years old but I voiced my opinions over what had happened when we took a 2 year old back in 2008.
It ended with the score being removed and we received a full refund.
To this day I still do not have an explanation of why the vet acted like he did.
Would I do it again with another home bred? Probably not.....

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=249770&page=3

prosoup

Visit site
To this day I still do not have an explanation of why the vet acted like he did.
Which vet was it? His behaviour is unacceptable so I hope he is still not being used by the BEF. Incidentally, is she brave enough to event now?

Other comments - I don't think the BEF can be blamed for Hartpury's poor organisation. You would imagine that a big venue like this would be experienced in hosting many events, so I think a letter of complaint to the venue as well as to the BEF would be in order. It is almost laughable that they did not also have staff members easily available.

birchave0

Visit site
Which vet was it? His behaviour is unacceptable so I hope he is still not being used by the BEF. Incidentally, is she brave enough to event now?

Other comments - I don't think the BEF can be blamed for Hartpury's poor organisation. You would imagine that a big venue like this would be experienced in hosting many events, so I think a letter of complaint to the venue as well as to the BEF would be in order. It is almost laughable that they did not also have staff members easily available.

I think so ;)

392211_10150479244127705_1316904014_n.jpg

408122_10150479244657705_902531102_n.jpg

385992_10150479243092705_644573383_n.jpg

this was in her new home back in March :)

issyking

Visit site
I was also at Hartpury for Futurity. My first time there also with our first foal we bred, and I openly admit we are inexperienced and learning all the time! I thought the layout was actually really good and the stewards were very helpful and attentive when I asked where to wait for my vetting etc. I was on time though and noticed a lot of people turned up late, so I had to wait which I thought was slightly annoying!! The vets thought the world of my foal and I felt pretty confident. Before the event I followed the demo video with great care and literally copied that, they said not to run the mare too fast so the foal is calm etc. So that's what we did! When we went in to the ring we were only in there for a few minutes, it seemed like they were in a bit of a rush but the judges were very polite and friendly still and probably guessed we were knew to this as we literally copied the video step by step.

My foal was awarded a second premium (0.14% off a first) and I was happy with that result as like I said we were very new to this. I then watched a few after...... and saw the rattles/chasers/long whips being used to raz the foals up and make them show off more. They all gained first or high first premiums and I am sure that if we had used the same method with our foal we would have got the same result! She was just too well behaved for her own good!

I just think we were very mislead by the video showing us what to do. They should say we have to show the foal off and make them excited etc, I thought the whole idea was for the foal to be assessed calmly and relaxed, as you wouldn't want to scare a 12 week old baby!?

Anyway I have taken it as a great experience and I am very proud of our foal and mare. I will definitely be taking future foals now but even though I now know how people present them I am not sure if I want to chase them round like idiots? But hey will play it by ear!

Interesting reading others opinions :) :)

kintara22

New User
Visit site

Constructive Feedback
Hartpury as a venue left a bit to be desired. Other venues much better so not directly relating to Futurity but something they need to take on board.

However,

Should they be expected to direct you every step of the way? I personally dont think so.
In all walks of life you need to take responsibilty for yourself. You need to prepare for an interview. You need to prepare for exams. Why shouldnt you be expected to prepare yourself and your horses for the BEF?? As I said in my previous post, you wouldnt expect your showjump judge to stand in the middle and point to the next jump!!!

I agree that the equine world is behind in terms of its general customer service. Having come from a Customer Service background myself a lot of equine establishments leave much to be desired!

However, there are some fantastic services offered by equine people who realise that they do need to make an effort along these lines. I also happen to know that Cruiseline is one of those as I have used her business myself!!

If you can keep 100% of YOUR customers happy at all times then I think you should be running the country!!!

Probably best to re read some of the earlier comments..nobody is expecting to be spoon fed and have their hands held,or the most part its not a case of people having lovely fluffy little foals that are perfect in her eyes they want a rosette for or just to up the value. We turned every stone we could in advance to ensure that we were properly prepared and well turned out, we simply could not find out what we needed to know to have a crack at being judged fairly. We respect the judges decision ordinarily and would not dream of formerly complaining , we don't blindly think or hope our animals are perfect.It certainly isn't the case of 'you can't please everybody'. Its a flawed event. Laughably somebody else said that we should just wait 7 years to see if the judges were right! Pinch me

Capriole

Visit site
I was also at Hartpury for Futurity. My first time there also with our first foal we bred, and I openly admit we are inexperienced and learning all the time! I thought the layout was actually really good and the stewards were very helpful and attentive when I asked where to wait for my vetting etc. I was on time though and noticed a lot of people turned up late, so I had to wait which I thought was slightly annoying!! The vets thought the world of my foal and I felt pretty confident. Before the event I followed the demo video with great care and literally copied that, they said not to run the mare too fast so the foal is calm etc. So that's what we did! When we went in to the ring we were only in there for a few minutes, it seemed like they were in a bit of a rush but the judges were very polite and friendly still and probably guessed we were knew to this as we literally copied the video step by step.

My foal was awarded a second premium (0.14% off a first) and I was happy with that result as like I said we were very new to this. I then watched a few after...... and saw the rattles/chasers/long whips being used to raz the foals up and make them show off more. They all gained first or high first premiums and I am sure that if we had used the same method with our foal we would have got the same result! She was just too well behaved for her own good!

I just think we were very mislead by the video showing us what to do. They should say we have to show the foal off and make them excited etc, I thought the whole idea was for the foal to be assessed calmly and relaxed, as you wouldn't want to scare a 12 week old baby!?

I would agree with this. I went to Richmond with my yearling, my first time. I had no idea what I was doing beyond what Id read on the internet and hadnt had the chance to go and observe, so I went exactly by the videos and fact sheets...and having watched some of the others I would do things a little differently now :D

I had a great day all in all, we could have done better, but the filly had a whale of a time and Im delighted with her all around behaviour as it was her first excursion and I couldnt have asked for a better behaved, chilled, young lady :)

issyking

Visit site
I would agree with this. I went to Richmond with my yearling, my first time. I had no idea what I was doing beyond what Id read on the internet and hadnt had the chance to go and observe, so I went exactly by the videos and fact sheets...and having watched some of the others I would do things a little differently now :D

I had a great day all in all, we could have done better, but the filly had a whale of a time and Im delighted with her all around behaviour as it was her first excursion and I couldnt have asked for a better behaved, chilled, young lady :)

Same here I was so proud of my foal for actually behaving. She was foot perfect in my eyes and I hope to take her as a yearling! Well done to you! :)

Capriole

Visit site
Same here I was so proud of my foal for actually behaving. She was foot perfect in my eyes and I hope to take her as a yearling! Well done to you! :)

Thank you :)

I genuinely couldnt have been prouder of her and the way she handled herself on her first outing. I couldnt have asked for more from an older more experienced horse :)
The vet adored her and was very complementary. I feel I let her down somewhat in the judging but I know better now.

Congratulations on your foal's good behaviour too :)

jennygw

Visit site
I wasn't at Hartpury - I was at Writtle College and my user name is fairly apparent if you want to see my score!

I thought last year was just a whole lot better run than this year - i did say, I knew he hadn't shown off enough canter/gallop but last year at Osberton - embarrasingly, I could barely get trot out of him and the judges were totally accepting of this and could see beyond the confused baby.

I knew I would not get a score as good as last year - I wanted over 8 and was not far off. I would take him again as I believe the Futurity to be a good idea and totally believe in British Breeding.

I was disappointed in the running and the attitude from SOME of the officials/evaluators. I don't expect my horse to be hit with a lunge whip. I didn't make a fuss and won't make a complaint. Perhaps she didn't mean to do it, and my boy is not affected by his outing. It would just be lovely if I had the same positive, helpful experience I had last year.

And besides - I know my boy is the business (even behind my rose tinted glasses ;)) and if last year the evaluators said he was a 4* prospect and this year, he's down to Riding Club level....well, it's up to me to decide which he becomes!!

Futurity is a good thing - we inexperienced one horse breeders would just like a smiley face and a helping hand to guide us along.

velv

Visit site
Well said.

FTR, I believe that if something is not run correctly or up to scratch then entrants do have the right to speak out on here or anywhere else for that matter as they have been short changed but they should also take their grievance to the main committee too. I hope they have and improvements can be made so threads like these become a thing of the past.

For the one who only had one evaluator, then that is totally unacceptable and in hindsight perhaps they should have insisted on the full compliment but it's not the thing you think of at the time or want to appear as a trouble maker either but I'm very surprised that this wasn't automatically offered by the evaluators themselves. Surely it's not too much to expect that proceedings could be halted altogether for those five minutes and it was unfair on the entrant to be treated that way IMO as one opinion was not what was paid for.

At the time I went into the arena Lynne said to me we were breaking for 5 minutes because the male evaluator was on the phone. Which I was fine with. Then he came back but without lynne and asked me to start which at the time I just got on with it because didnt want to cause a fuss. She finally came back at the end when I was walking around so missed the whole thing. I might write into futurity just to highlight it so it does not happen again. I think if I was more confident and more in the know (my first go at breeding) I should of said something. Everything else was great and the same at college ec when I took him as a foal last year.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk

Constructive Feedback

However,

LilMissy

Visit site
Am I allowed to post a link to the video of my foal? Not sure but please pm

Id like to make the point showing this that its not all bells and whistles to encourage them to perform.

I will also tell say that we (two of us, one on mare and one of foal) practised in total for about fifteen minutes over three days which was spread over a six week period!! I believe in letting babies be babies!

I first went to a futurity in 2008, after a forty minute lorry journey and then waiting around to present two mares and thier foals we were all exhausted! The second foal fell asleep in the arena! She got a second which I felt related to her being exhausted! Its easy to underestimate how tiring being loaded and travelling could be.

I took one mare and foal the following year as thought just one being presented would make it easier. I admit that I didnt look again at others videos etc as thought I knew what I was doing. Again foal was tired and because I didnt make any effort to 'chase' him he just pottled round saying hi and didnt show himself off.

So after a break of a couple of years I thought Id really better make an effort! Spoke to other breeders on facebook who suggested an overnight stay at venue or at least a stable so that mare and foal can rest after journey. Arrive a few hours early etc. Also, do make an effort to 'chase' foal although I agree there can be a fine line!

The first foal presented got very bored waiting! he had been stabled overnight. So he didnt need chasing but didnt show his fab trot as he was too busy leaping around.

The second is in the video is you want to see what happened...

I dont know who anyone is or what foal/youngster they entered but my overwelming imagefrom watching for quite a few hours was the HUGE difference in the well presented youngstock, those who made and effort but possibly first time and those that didnt have a clue and probably hadnt even looked!!!

I dont agree that its a 'flawed event'. If I thought that the first year with not getting the results I 'wanted' then I certainly wouldnt have come back!

If nobody ever makes a 'formal' complaint how can they improve. Maybe what you thought was mirrored by many others? Possibly relating to the evalutors used. If the BEF dont know then they will continue to do the same thing again.

This is OUR event, trying to fill a HUGE gap in this country for British Breeders.

I personally would rather they knew my horses breeding but didnt get that this year as they have responded to previous years formal complaints of bias and removed it! Hence the problem we are getting in that dressage foals are being placed highly as eventers but probably wont have the scope in their pedigree to jump and conversly the jumpers are being marked down as they cant SEE the scope in their pedigree!!

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Am I allowed to post a link to the video of my foal? Not sure but please pm

Id like to make the point showing this that its not all bells and whistles to encourage them to perform.

I will also tell say that we (two of us, one on mare and one of foal) practised in total for about fifteen minutes over three days which was spread over a six week period!! I believe in letting babies be babies!

I first went to a futurity in 2008, after a forty minute lorry journey and then waiting around to present two mares and thier foals we were all exhausted! The second foal fell asleep in the arena! She got a second which I felt related to her being exhausted! Its easy to underestimate how tiring being loaded and travelling could be.

I took one mare and foal the following year as thought just one being presented would make it easier. I admit that I didnt look again at others videos etc as thought I knew what I was doing. Again foal was tired and because I didnt make any effort to 'chase' him he just pottled round saying hi and didnt show himself off.

So after a break of a couple of years I thought Id really better make an effort! Spoke to other breeders on facebook who suggested an overnight stay at venue or at least a stable so that mare and foal can rest after journey. Arrive a few hours early etc. Also, do make an effort to 'chase' foal although I agree there can be a fine line!

The first foal presented got very bored waiting! he had been stabled overnight. So he didnt need chasing but didnt show his fab trot as he was too busy leaping around.

The second is in the video is you want to see what happened...

I dont know who anyone is or what foal/youngster they entered but my overwelming imagefrom watching for quite a few hours was the HUGE difference in the well presented youngstock, those who made and effort but possibly first time and those that didnt have a clue and probably hadnt even looked!!!

I dont agree that its a 'flawed event'. If I thought that the first year with not getting the results I 'wanted' then I certainly wouldnt have come back!

If nobody ever makes a 'formal' complaint how can they improve. Maybe what you thought was mirrored by many others? Possibly relating to the evalutors used. If the BEF dont know then they will continue to do the same thing again.

This is OUR event, trying to fill a HUGE gap in this country for British Breeders.

I personally would rather they knew my horses breeding but didnt get that this year as they have responded to previous years formal complaints of bias and removed it! Hence the problem we are getting in that dressage foals are being placed highly as eventers but probably wont have the scope in their pedigree to jump and conversly the jumpers are being marked down as they cant SEE the scope in their pedigree!!

LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE - Well done you for your patience in explaining what this event is about. As you & others like myself pointed out, if they did not listen then the new ruling about the breeding info would have been left as it was.

If the poster had posted under their normal name, I would probably not been so blunt. Though I was bought up with "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all" I am just one of those flawed individuals, what can I say. Sorry to say it annoys the hell out of me when people moan to others without first addressing it with the individual, shop, committee, etc. I get it all the time & when you ask you find that they have not actually said there was a problem, well how can any improvements be made, as it is very unlikely they are even aware of the issue.

birchave0

Visit site
Just to make it clear, I DID lodge an official complaint, in writing to the BEF. Our scores were removed, I received an apology and was told the vetting system would be changed and that they would not be using that vet again......

I would also like to point out it was the panel who told me to lodge an objection, they clearly could not understand the filly's low vet scores, especially as there was NO explanation on her sheet from the vet.

However to add insult to injury, even with her cr@p scores she was still reserve high score for her section, which they very kindly gave to another horse......

LilMissy

Visit site
Hi birchave0, I can completely understand why you would have been upset in your circumstance and appreciate that you did follow the 'complaints' procedure as such in order to try to resolve your issue.
I wasnt refering in any of my posts or future posts to your circumstances.
:)

At the end of the day we are all human and things can and do go wrong. Which is why I think that if you provide constructive critisicm to the organisers or a proper complaint then you are well within your rights to express your own opinion in public about a public event.

Re the original posters comments and others who answered in the negative. I dont think its fair to tar the whole event with just one incident or one issue.

We should be encourage ALL breeders to be involved in events like these in an endeavour to move our breeding forward. I too had issues with the Hartpury event and subsequent goings on but doesnt mean that I will opt out or disbarage the people working really hard to try to offer us something unique and informative. Hopefully when all issues are ironed out this will give us breeders the opportunity to follow our youngstock through to a productive ridden career with as much help and advice as possible.