Before and afters - Condition

Landcruiser

Visit site
Here are my two Uraguy Criollos, ex wild horses then working cattle horses. They both came over by sea to Italy 6 years ago. Pat's had a very hard life and has ongoing metabolic and lameness issues. Tuga has an eating disorder - maybe he was starved in his previous life as a cattle horse, but he sure as hell doesn't stop eating if food is available!
Tuga on the day I picked him up, fat as butter:eek:

Misc099_zpsbadd8726.jpg

And at the end of last summer - porky but fairly fit, able to canter a mile up hill without blowing - but not as slim as I'd like him! He's a bit of a yo yo dieter..

BeautifulTuga_zps99cb35e6.jpg

And Pat, the day I first saw him, almost 5 years ago:

Criollofarm007-1_zps75c550ce.jpg

Criollofarm033_zpse3fe44a5.jpg

No topline, completely closed off and distrustful, no time for humans at all, really.

JanandFeb10046.jpg

About 18 months after I had him. Once I ditched the bit he was much happier - and he was always very brave:)

And lastly at the end of last summer (last time he didn't have a rug on, pretty much!)
DSC_0417_zpscaa27893.jpg

funnypicofPatandTuga_zps13b59f05.jpg

3bh

Visit site
Hi Pigeon: can't quote and reply as on phone, but he is a Selkirk horse, dam sire also an american horse El Gran Senor. He has a teeny tiny short head, have a nightmare fitting headcollars/bridles!

wispagold

Visit site
Lovely horse, but I'm mostly just envious of your position -such a strong "safe" seat on the baby jump and awesome on the second :mad:

Thank you :) There are a couple of ponies that I can attribute that too. Although they are particularly good photos, I have lots of less flattering ones!

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
When i first got him as a 5yo quite overweight (photo doesnt really show it too well) very gangly and no muscle at all
RobbiePics001.jpg

As an 8yo starting to work properly and building up a grown up horse topline :)
DCP_2787.jpg

0310Star

Visit site
Some fantastic transformations!
A question to everybody with a horse who has a big hanging/wormy/foal belly... how did you get them trim? I have had my TB mare 3 years and in that time she has gone from very underweight and in a bit of a state, to a fatty good doer, now to the perfect weight but her foal belly just wont seem to budge!
I know that work is the main answer to this but even when she is very fit its still there, and unfortunately my horse isnt allowed to lunge.

Any advice??? :eek:

tiga71

Visit site
Some fantastic transformations!
A question to everybody with a horse who has a big hanging/wormy/foal belly... how did you get them trim? I have had my TB mare 3 years and in that time she has gone from very underweight and in a bit of a state, to a fatty good doer, now to the perfect weight but her foal belly just wont seem to budge!

Any advice??? :eek:

Izzy's belly was just fat and lack of muscle, no foal (gelding:D) so don't know if this is relevant as I am not very experienced. But I did a lot of hill work and plenty of long lining over poles. If your mare can't lunge, can she long line as that really helped Izzy. You can long line right round the school or field so she isn't on a small circle.

0310Star

Visit site
Izzy's belly was just fat and lack of muscle, no foal (gelding:D) so don't know if this is relevant as I am not very experienced. But I did a lot of hill work and plenty of long lining over poles. If your mare can't lunge, can she long line as that really helped Izzy. You can long line right round the school or field so she isn't on a small circle.

Long lining is fine so we shall give that a go, thanks :) I am hoping to get really motivated this summer and hack out as much as possible, we have a fair few hills around us so should help too!

rising_promise

Visit site
This is such a great thread!

Freya: 4 yo ex racehorse. I got her at the beginning of November, having been out of racing for 6 months and done basically nothing in a field. This is the day she arrived, very poor.

picture.php

This was taken 6 weeks later

picture.php

That was mid December. I haven't taken any pics in the last 6 weeks but this her doing her first dressage test a couple of weeks ago :D

Hope the link works!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151362307300141&set=vb.740160140&type=2&theater

FionaM12

Visit site
This is such a great thread!

Freya: 4 yo ex racehorse. I got her at the beginning of November, having been out of racing for 6 months and done basically nothing in a field. This is the day she arrived, very poor.

picture.php

This was taken 6 weeks later

picture.php

That was mid December. I haven't taken any pics in the last 6 weeks but this her doing her first dressage test a couple of weeks ago :D

Hope the link works!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151362307300141&set=vb.740160140&type=2&theater

The Facebook link says not available. Are your settings set to private/friends only?

Noodles_3

Visit site
^^^
Wow.
was she wormy or post foaling when you got her?

Both!

Mud fever was bad on her legs too. She just looked like some rough feral pony that had a hard life and she was only 4!

Someone asked about how people got rid of horse post foal / wormy hanging bellys. With Annie I really can't say I did a lot! I know that sounds bad but I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. She just lived out 24/7 was exercised lightly and had a conditioning feed at the time but she just improved immensely I was really pleased. In such quick time to x

PonyFeet10

Visit site
Leo the day I bought him just turning 2 years old

240420102.jpg

Winter that year soon to be 3 year old (was wintered out and didn't do well with his condition so brought him in at night to fatten him up)

2501201115.jpg

Rising 4 years old

image.jpg

Approx 4 and a half years

391321_10151054732928679_443857507_n.jpg

Just before winter hit!

Leo1.jpg