Before you ride....

mrsh2010

Visit site
Please please check how old your hat is!!

I had a nasty accident on Sunday, thankfully my horse was released from hospital yesterday, however I'm still laid up in bed with concussion. My hat was 3 to 4 years old and even though my leg took the main impact I have split my helmet in half.

I truely believe if my hat was older or I hadn't been hacking in my body protector my story today would be very different.

I have a fantastic horse, safe as houses, but we must remember they are flight animals, they have their own minds and feelings.

I lay here today, with concussion and awaiting an MRI on my knee, all thanks to 6 cyclists coming out of our bridlepath as we were 6-8ft from entering it.

Hug your horses, they are very precious, but please please check your safety gear. We've been extremely lucky, I know we have.

Echo24

Visit site
I hope you and your neddie feel better soon. I recently replaced my helmet but wondered if anyone knew how often you should replace a body protector?

Joyous70

Visit site
I hope you and your horse recover quickly.

I had a fall last week whilst jumping at home in our school, i landed on my back but also banged my head on the floor, whilst my hat is only 4 years old on further inspection it seemed that it wasn't as padded anymore, hence the 2 day headache i had, i have since been out and bought myself two new hats!

pansymouse

Visit site
Great advice; hope you both have a swift and full recovery.

Just to add on the hat chucking issue - if you are throwing away a hat post fall which appears undamaged, cut the harness off before you bin it so there is no possibility that it can be fished out and used.

applecart14

Visit site
Gosh I hope you are feeling a bit better now. I know someone who died from having an incorrect fitting hat that she had borrowed, having left her own hat at home. Her horse bolted and dropped her onto a kerb.

I for one am concerned about the number of people I hear about being dragged. I feel that as well as checking your stirrup leathers, bridle and girth as well as your riding hat, you should always, ALWAYS check before sitting on your saddle the first time (or anyone's horse/saddle at anytime) that the stirrup bar is down. If it is not there is every change you will be dragged should you fall off and get your foot caught in the stirrup. If it cannot be made to go down, then do not ride, simple.

I think all organisers of shows should check this out, like stewards on XC for example.

Arizahn

Visit site
I am guilty of not replacing my hat often enough, as well as continuing to use it after bashing it whilst walking into things, dropping it, and storing it loose in the boot of the car.

<shuffles off to replace hat>

happyclappy

Visit site
So sorry about your accident, but top advice. So many think if they can see no damage and the hat has not been dropped etc, it must be OK, but the truth is the inner safety material starts to disintegrate, so hats should be changed five yearly or before if hit etc.

Capriole

Visit site
This thread just reminded me to contact the company that made my jockey skull and offer it them back for tests if they send me a prepaid label.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
I've had my new hat a week, replaced because my old one was seven years old! Of course it feels crazy to chuck something away that looks just fine but it has to be done... I am sat on the sofa with my hat on, breaking it in as it's pretty snug. OP, I hope you and your horse make a good and swift recovery.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Hope you both recover swiftly and without complications. My hat is ancient, I need to replace it before I get back on board properly. Good advice.

gembear

Visit site
I had a fall jumping a couple of weeks ago. Randomly had my body protector on (never wear it jumping normally) and obviously a hat.

Came away unscathed thanks to both, but did hit my head on a pole although no concussion.
I'm still wearing the same one, although I know I need to get a new one but I can't afford it yet..... i know i know, it's so bad :S

mrsh2010

Visit site
Thank you all. Im so grateful that people are listening and taking my message on board.

My hat was well looked after, never dropped and always carried inside my body protector and carry bag.

We will both ok, as sore as my knee is, its the suffering of concussion that has really shocked me. So means alot to be pushing the message out there.

We all know people that ride without, but i also know people whos hats are in their teenage years. It scares me really

Capriole

Visit site
My hat was well looked after, never dropped and always carried inside my body protector and carry bag.

Likewise for mine, until my accident. I'm very careful about protecting my head. Have you thought about seeing if the makers would want your hat back to look at?

DD265

Visit site
I hope you're feeling better soon!

Equally important as age of hat is fit - I know full well that mine is not a good fit and I fully intend to replace it as soon as I have the funds (I know from past experience that I have an expensive head).