Beginner showjumping advice

Stacey_xo

Visit site
So I haven’t competed since I was a teenager and I have my first showjumping competition on the weekend in about 12 years which is at a local yard so very low level, but I literally have no idea what to do in terms of knowing when it’s my turn to go in the arena, knowing when to start jumping or where to position my horse before I start (should I stay near to the first fence or just canter him around until the bell starts?), I’m anxious about forgetting the course too, just feeling all of the emotions right now lol!
Please remind me how this works again and any tips for nerves! It’s just a single clear round competition and I’m only doing 60cm as it’s my horses first showjumping competition too.

Branna

Visit site
Some venues are still doing times or a running order, whereas some will give you a number when you enter and you declare a number on the board. I would arrive a bit early and speak to the steward to ask what system they are running. If you explain it's your first time I'm sure everyone will be friendly!

You will be let in the ring when it's your turn. I like to plan what way I will take my horse around the ring when I walk the course so that I'm not aimlessly wandering and I am on the correct lead for the first fence. Sometimes you end up doing one circuit, sometimes the judge takes a few moments. Don't panic when the bell rings, you have 45 secs to jump the first fence which is much longer than you think.

I've watched a few people at a ODE recently get eliminated for silly things they don't know the rule on so... no suggestion you will have any of these issues but: if you have a stop at the second part of a double, you need to jump both parts again. If you have had the pole down on the first part then stop, they will ring the bell and stop the clock so they can rebuild the first part, then ring it again for you to restart. Same if you have a stop but slide into the fence, the bell will be rung, fence rebuilt then bell rung to restart. Again, you probably won't find yourself in this situation but I know lots of people that panic needlessly!

Good luck and enjoy.

Stacey_xo

Visit site
Some venues are still doing times or a running order, whereas some will give you a number when you enter and you declare a number on the board. I would arrive a bit early and speak to the steward to ask what system they are running. If you explain it's your first time I'm sure everyone will be friendly!

You will be let in the ring when it's your turn. I like to plan what way I will take my horse around the ring when I walk the course so that I'm not aimlessly wandering and I am on the correct lead for the first fence. Sometimes you end up doing one circuit, sometimes the judge takes a few moments. Don't panic when the bell rings, you have 45 secs to jump the first fence which is much longer than you think.

I've watched a few people at a ODE recently get eliminated for silly things they don't know the rule on so... no suggestion you will have any of these issues but: if you have a stop at the second part of a double, you need to jump both parts again. If you have had the pole down on the first part then stop, they will ring the bell and stop the clock so they can rebuild the first part, then ring it again for you to restart. Same if you have a stop but slide into the fence, the bell will be rung, fence rebuilt then bell rung to restart. Again, you probably won't find yourself in this situation but I know lots of people that panic needlessly!

Good luck and enjoy.

That’s really helpful thank you! Fingers crossed it all goes well!

Carrottom

Visit site
I have always planned where I can trot in a circle on the correct rein that I want to jump the first fence on, then when the bell goes I can pick up canter, check I'm on the correct lead and away! I try to learn the course before I walk it if there is time, so that the walk is also a test, this helps my confidence.

LegOn

Visit site
Have a good chat with the stewards about how they are running - as everyone has said, they will be very helpful and friendly, especially when its your first time!

Watch a few people doing the course before you go in if you can - it will give you an idea of how they are approaching the first fence, if the judge is quick or slow with the bell and just a general sense of the way its all happening! Can be a nice reassurance of the way you are going to ride yourself but if its different dont worry, do what suits you & your horse!

For showjumping judges do still appreciate a salute when you come into the ring or when you get the bell or when they are announcing you - it can be a nice little extra! Reins in one hand, and a little head bow with your free arm just down by your side - like in dressage! I've had many an SJ judge say thank you!

For remembering the course - I learn by remembering the colour/style fence in order, so if I dont know where I'm going I recognise the next fence by its colour- plus I cant count while riding so I never remember if I jumped 4 or 5 before looking for 6 if you get me! I start with like 'the black and white to the yellow fence, to the blue double, left to the green wings, and then the butterfly fence etc' Plus then I try visualise the approach and get away for each fence so when I'm riding it looks familiar - definitely walk each course as you would ride it - look around you for things like, 'I need to turn at that flagpole or before that tree' so it gives you things to think about when riding where you should be going! Best of luck and enjoy!!!!

Stacey_xo

Visit site
Have a good chat with the stewards about how they are running - as everyone has said, they will be very helpful and friendly, especially when its your first time!

Watch a few people doing the course before you go in if you can - it will give you an idea of how they are approaching the first fence, if the judge is quick or slow with the bell and just a general sense of the way its all happening! Can be a nice reassurance of the way you are going to ride yourself but if its different dont worry, do what suits you & your horse!

For showjumping judges do still appreciate a salute when you come into the ring or when you get the bell or when they are announcing you - it can be a nice little extra! Reins in one hand, and a little head bow with your free arm just down by your side - like in dressage! I've had many an SJ judge say thank you!

For remembering the course - I learn by remembering the colour/style fence in order, so if I dont know where I'm going I recognise the next fence by its colour- plus I cant count while riding so I never remember if I jumped 4 or 5 before looking for 6 if you get me! I start with like 'the black and white to the yellow fence, to the blue double, left to the green wings, and then the butterfly fence etc' Plus then I try visualise the approach and get away for each fence so when I'm riding it looks familiar - definitely walk each course as you would ride it - look around you for things like, 'I need to turn at that flagpole or before that tree' so it gives you things to think about when riding where you should be going! Best of luck and enjoy!!!!

That’s a great tip for remembering the course, I will definitely be doing that!
If I do forget the course completely and wish to exit early do I just salute the judge to let them know I’m done?

LegOn

Visit site
That’s a great tip for remembering the course, I will definitely be doing that!
If I do forget the course completely and wish to exit early do I just salute the judge to let them know I’m done?

If you want to retire - just raise your hand and then give your horse a big pat! But for your first time, just come back to trot, or walk and have a little look around & think & then kick on - dont be worrying about forgetting it, just have a fun time with you & your horse! The judges are usually pretty helpful and understanding of the 60cm - 80cm classes where people can be nervous or getting back out!

Stacey_xo

Visit site
If you want to retire - just raise your hand and then give your horse a big pat! But for your first time, just come back to trot, or walk and have a little look around & think & then kick on - dont be worrying about forgetting it, just have a fun time with you & your horse! The judges are usually pretty helpful and understanding of the 60cm - 80cm classes where people can be nervous or getting back out!

Thank you so much, last question, should I plait his mane or not? I kind of want to because I’ve never plaited him up before and I want him to look the part but I’ve seen most people don’t plait for showjumping ?

LegOn

Visit site
Thank you so much, last question, should I plait his mane or not? I kind of want to because I’ve never plaited him up before and I want him to look the part but I’ve seen most people don’t plait for showjumping ?

Alot of people would only plait for a final or big show but no rule that says you cant! If you want to plait your horse go for it - otherwise just be clean and tidy and nicely groomed! And you are good to go! :D

Carrottom

Visit site
If you haven't plaited him before I wouldn't add that stress to your day, unless you think he will look better in your winning pictures. Also, it can seem a bit strange getting on a plaited horse when you're not used to it.

WelshHoarder

Visit site
Just to update if any of you see this, the competition went really well and we managed to place 4th with only 4 faults, I’m so happy with him as he was a little unsure about most of the jumps but jumped everything and now I’m very excited for the next show. ? Thank you all for your tips!
Well done - sounds like a great outing