Behavioural problems when changing feed??

my bfg

Visit site
For the past couple of weeks I've been weaning my girl off happy hoof and on to fast fibre, last night was the first feed where she had just the fast fibre, she was a bit bolshy when picking her feet out tonight but after she was put in her stable and had her tea (a third of the amount of fast fibre that's recommended for her) she literally exploded!

Was rushing round the stable, kicking the door and jumping up at it. After an hour of trying to calm her I got her out to walk her round the school, as we got through the gate I only just had time to unclip the lead rope before she took off, cantering, bucking, running at me and pacing the fence looking over the fields.

None of her usual signs of colic just very hyper, she stopped running about after a few minuites and I got her back in when her best mate was brought in hoping it would help her settle.
Was definitely calmer but still edgy, left after a while in case me stressing out was effecting her and asked a mate to text me to say if there was any change, she calmed down a bit more when I left and another mate checked when she popped up to do her night feed just now and said she's now fine.

The feed change is the only change to her diet and routine, has anyone else had this sort of reaction when changing feeds??

Last edited:

Vicky Arabian

Visit site
Yes I had an arab who did a simliar thing when I changed his feed. Easiest thing is to change it back and see if she goes back to normal. Its amazing how much feed can effect behaviour.

I just changed my boys nuts, and boy did he go nuts lol not buying those ones again!

Equi

Visit site
Now you mention it..my mini mare gets a bit fizzy. I originally thought she was coming into season but i stopped the fast fibre cause she won't eat it without loads of chaff and shes back to normal and thankfully no season yet. Chaff still in it, and baileys balancer too.