Being a bit of a nervous nellie

VioletStripe

Visit site
My gelding is 2 days into his Gastrogard treatment (scoped on the yard on Thursday, found Grade 2 ulcers), and last Sunday came up in a hoof abscess.

Farrier looked at abscess on Monday and made an incision, been in a dry poultice since then. Vet looked at it before the scope on Thursday and made more of a hole (it could barely get through!) and drained a lot of it out there, where he was very sensitive. Since then he's been out every day during daylight in a relatively dry field, then in at night.

Came to get him in today and he galloped across the field to meet me at the gate, then looked a bit sore walking up the stony hill to the yard. Bit of puss still coming out when I took the poultice off - so I soaked his foot in hot water with Epsom Salts, did 10mins, then changed the water and did for another 10mins where he decided by that point he'd had enough. Lots of ulcer-friendly treats and fuss while standing with his foot in the tub, but he wasn't massively interested and looked very grumpy. Very sensitive on his hoof and didn't want us to re-wrap and poultice afterwards... moody while putting his foot in the tub for the second time too, but then happily walked around the yard when poultice was on and went in for his haynet.

Just worried that it's still puss-y and he doesn't seem himself? I know he must be okay since he pelted across the field towards me and kept going - he didn't seem unhappy going for it in canter/gallop. He slowed to a trot and looked a little 'noddy' but he was happy to stay in it for quite a few steps before slowing to a walk when he reached me. The heat is massively decreased too. He wasn't uninterested in the treats (hay cobs and an apple) but he wasn't mad for them like he usually is... just feeling very anxious and sorry for the poor chap. I guess it has been a hell of a week for him?!

Would you expect the abscess to have stopped oozing by now? Should I get the vet out again? I think I'll do another salt soak tomorrow before changing the poultice if he can tolerate it...

Carrottom

Visit site
Could it be the poultice bandaging that is making his skin around the hoof sore? Maybe leave it off and keep tubbing for a couple of days and see how you go.

canteron

Visit site
Absesses will come out at their own pace and sometimes need patience. My horse gets a deep abscess about every other year, and although the farrier finds a tender part in the foot and tries to release it - it always comes out of the coronet band a week or so later.

The vet solution of cutting away half the foot isn't going to happen with my needle and vet shy horse, so I just have to monitor and wait. Letting them have as much movement as possible helps. Have you tried Shires Hoof Boots (other boots available but these work for us and reduce the amount of poultice material, etc we get through).

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Can I ask what the treatment for ulcers consists of? Is it daily oral syringes?
Just asking because thinking of having mine scoped/treated.