being paid to teach

izzabella

Visit site
hi my friend has asked if she can pay me to teach her with her horse.

i would be at the local riding school where she is on livery. she is allowed to have me go down and help her and teach her in the past but i have only done it a few times to help her with a walk trot test she was doing in her first dressage test.

it is on her own horse at her own livery yard.

so a few questions
can i charge without being liable?
and how much would you charge? im thinking £10 an hour for the level shes at

i am going to suggest to her that we dont tell anyone that she is paying me

so any tips and advice please thank you

rhino

Visit site
I will quite often 'teach' but would never accept payment as I am not a qualified instructor and I don't have insurance to teach. The fact you are saying about keeping it secret would make me think you already know this ;)

izzabella

Visit site
I will quite often 'teach' but would never accept payment as I am not a qualified instructor and I don't have insurance to teach. The fact you are saying about keeping it secret would make me think you already know this ;)

hi i normaly wouldnt expect to be paid but i have already done alot for her and have loved doing it but dont have enough time to justify it for free at the moment. if im going to give her time at the moment i need something back as i have alot going on for free at the moment

i would rather we didnt tell people about the money as i dont want to fall out with the yard owners who i know will think im stealing their trade even though the girl has said she wouldnt have lessons with them anyway.

she is insured herself so i honestly dont no where i stand insurance wise

Last edited:

becca1305

Visit site
If you accept money for teaching you need insurance. The implications (no matter how good a friend) if something terrible should happen she may need to claim off you and without insurance the damage/ financial implications for both of you could be life destroying. It is not only for the rider and the horse that instructors have insurance but also 3rd party liability in case the horse causes damage to someone else or property. If she 'payed' you in favours eg she mucks out your horse for you etc so it is not payment persay but instead an expression of her gratitude this may be different but if money changes hands you are teaching for a profit and liable as such. Sorry :(

izzabella

Visit site
If you accept money for teaching you need insurance. The implications (no matter how good a friend) if something terrible should happen she may need to claim off you and without insurance the damage/ financial implications for both of you could be life destroying. It is not only for the rider and the horse that instructors have insurance but also 3rd party liability in case the horse causes damage to someone else or property. If she 'payed' you in favours eg she mucks out your horse for you etc so it is not payment persay but instead an expression of her gratitude this may be different but if money changes hands you are teaching for a profit and liable as such. Sorry :(

ok thanks for the clarification x

Shazzababs

Visit site
If you charge for teaching you are working and should declare that for tax purposes.

You should also have insurance if you are teaching at all, especially if you are getting paid or there is a possibility you might need to ride the horse (to demonstrate something).

People can get injured really quickly, doing the simplest of things, and even though you might think that your friend wouldn't sue you, her insurance company or family might.

rhino

Visit site
If you are teaching someone on their own horse you can get away with just having freelance instructor's insurance. As you are going to be accepting money you do legally require this.

izzabella

Visit site
right. spoken to friend and said i cant just be paid as it would mean i was liable etc.

she suggested as it is my birthday at the end of the month that i get a nice presant. i would get one anyway she says, she just wants to upgrade it xx

ROG

Visit site
I know someone who once helped a mate with his driving - he 'paid' by landscaping a garden

No law on doing favours for each other

ischa

Visit site
You can teach as a freelance instructor
But I would insure yourself
There are insurances out there that will insure you even without qualifications
But you can not teach people on your horse or horses in your yard