Being told to get out of your yard but not really being told to.

Visit site
My horse was biting the horse in the stable next door. The horse was owned by my friend. Apparently my horse was trying to jump over the wall to get to the other horse. My friend told me that the yard manager told them that they wanted my horse out of the yard but I know that that wasn't true because there is worse horses at the yard than my horse.
I was crying every night after that. My horse only bit the other horse a handful of times. I think that my friend just has a grudge against cobs and has had a grudge against my horse since the start. My friend got stables at their house and moved out of the yard by the way. My friend also still talks about the biting and shows the video to everyone. How do I deal with this?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I wouldn't consider this person a "friend" at all TBH.

Re. the biting over the door; there IS a practical solution and that is a grille fitted to the stable door. My advice to you would be to approach the YO and ask them if they'd mind if you purchased one and it was fitted to the door.

Then ditch your "friend". She sounds a nasty little stirrer.

Bellalily

Visit site
Find a grass livery yard as he’s clearly unhappy confined. He’ll be fine. It’s hard when friends fall out and so try to ignore the gossips and move on.

Visit site
All of these replies are telling me to do the same thing. The stable where my cob is, is the quietest part of the yard. She can't go out to the field full time because she is a very good doer and puts on weight easily.

Bellalily

Visit site
All of these replies are telling me to do the same thing. The stable where my cob is, is the quietest part of the yard. She can't go out to the field full time because she is a very good doer and puts on weight easily.
She would do much better out 24/7. They are not designed to have a restricted diet, encourages starvation mode and gorging. I have one who tends to put extra weight on and since he’s been out 24/7 with ad lib hay and grass, he’s lost a bit of weight. 😊

Jenko109

Visit site
She would do much better out 24/7. They are not designed to have a restricted diet, encourages starvation mode and gorging. I have one who tends to put extra weight on and since he’s been out 24/7 with ad lib hay and grass, he’s lost a bit of weight. 😊

What is 'starvation mode' please?

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Why do you need to do anything with your cob?
The problem is already solved -your mare disliked one particular horse. That horse has been moved away.

I'm guessing you are young. Teenage friendships can be very intense and sometimes very upsetting. Look on this as an opportunity to do some growing up. As you go through life not everyone will love you. You learn to surround yourself with (and fill your head with) those who do love you & ignore the others. Work hard at ignoring this person and more importantly, at looking towards your real friends & you will solve your current problem and learn new life skills.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

This is very dangerous advice, particularly at this time of year. Many horses and ponies would be crippled with laminitis, possibly fatally, if their owners were to follow this advice.

Upthecreek

Visit site

From this and your replies on other threads, it is clear you have strong opinions on how horses should be kept. Stating these opinions as facts is very dangerous as what you are suggesting here is most definitely not safe or suitable for all horses.

Bellalily

Visit site
This is very dangerous advice, particularly at this time of year. Many horses and ponies would be crippled with laminitis, possibly fatally, if their owners were to follow this advice.
Would point out that one of mine is a recovered laminitic and the other has PPID, so I would disagree with you. Maybe some, but then after the winter we’ve had, how many of us have any decent fields left? 🤣

ycbm

Visit site
Would point out that one of mine is a recovered laminitic and the other has PPID, so I would disagree with you. Maybe some, but then after the winter we’ve had, how many of us have any decent fields left? 🤣

I don't care what your two are, this is desperately dangerous advice when you don't know people's horses or grazing.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
A grill for the door and/or the top of the wall (I'm not sure of how your stable is set up?) will prevent her from reaching over to bite anyone.

ycbm

Visit site

Coming back to this now I have time, I would point out that I had a regime of constant availability of food on rough hill wildflower meadow, barely a ryegrass stalk in the whole 10 acres, balanced minerals, and during 31 years and about 40 horses on that regime, I had 4 who teetered on the brink of laminitis who had to be managed very closely. 1 mini Shetland 3 years old, 1 17hand fit event horse, 2 Iberians one 7 one 10. To generalise about 24/7 turnout and ad lib hay from your sample of 2 as you did is very dangerous advice to give other people.

MagicMelon

Visit site
My horse was biting the horse in the stable next door. The horse was owned by my friend. Apparently my horse was trying to jump over the wall to get to the other horse. My friend told me that the yard manager told them that they wanted my horse out of the yard but I know that that wasn't true because there is worse horses at the yard than my horse.
I was crying every night after that. My horse only bit the other horse a handful of times. I think that my friend just has a grudge against cobs and has had a grudge against my horse since the start. My friend got stables at their house and moved out of the yard by the way. My friend also still talks about the biting and shows the video to everyone. How do I deal with this?
If it were my horse I would be mortified and would pay to install grids so your horse cannot bite anyone else. Biting it "only a few times" is really unacceptable and Id be fed up too! But ideally I would get the horse out of his stable into a field, sounds like hes bored to death. I really dont understand the "cant go out as shes a good doer" argument just fence off a small corner of a field or even anywhere the horse can be with not much grass. The horse needs movement to keep weight in check, not to be confined to a cell which is clearly making it miserable.

Green Bean

Visit site
Just a question, was there food involved? The only time my horse has gotten seriously angry with her neighbour was when I installed a haybar in the corner of her stable. This part butted up against the neighbouring stable's door (not explaining that very well!). That horse had her head over the door, which is as it should be. My horse starting biting the wall and getting very angry (food jealousy perhaps?). I eventually put up a piece of wood along the bars of my horse's stable so she couldn't see the neighbouring horse whilst eating her hay to stop her being an angry madwomen about anyone going 'near' her hay.
As for the rest of it, some people are just not worth giving airtime to...