Belated camp report!

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Delayed by the fact we didn’t get photos until today (and what use is a report without photos?!)

So having only had Pepsi 9 days I rather threw him in at the deep end and decided to take him to a full on weekend eventing camp ? To be fair, it was rearranged from last October and the plan was originally to take Henry this time too, before he threw a spanner in the works by going lame ?

Overall I was over the moon with how he was. Such a great opportunity to try him in a new place and get to know him a bit better. We did XC/SJ/flatwork and even managed to squeeze in a beach ride! I’m not sure if he’s ever been XC before but did water, ditches, steps etc with no problems, and though not as confident as he is SJ he flew round almost everything. We weren’t jumping huge, more about rhythm/confidence but he’s certainly got the scope! Actually managed to get a more relaxed/low frame in trot on the flat too which was quite an achievement for him.

He did get quite stressed in the stable/tied up if other horses left/went past though, even if he could see others nearby. Not uncontrollable, but definitely not happy. Something to work on there, and to be fair he’d been in 4 different yards in the previous 2.5wks so he was probably still a bit confused/stressed from that. Was very settled in the field though, and isn’t particularly nappy under saddle. We’ll see how he goes, if that’s his only major hangup I can work with that!

We ended the weekend with a bang when he had a moment about one xc fence, which was quite big/spooky, had 2 stops before rather launching us over it. Jockey well and truly ejected out of the side door, but hey at least he’s got scope ? (tbh not really his fault, I said go, he went) Hit my back/pelvis on the back of the jump and properly smacked my head and couldn’t really see properly or stand for a minute or two. But surprisingly fine after that, convinced everyone I didn’t need a visit to a&e. Also surprisingly hasn’t made me worried to jump/ride/XC him again, I’m actually keener than ever to get back on! (Only reason I haven’t is because I’m away!)

Overall, had a lot of fun, learnt a lot, have so much to work on, am very excited for the future! (And am currently trying to scrape together funds for the next one of these at a different venue in October ?)

316DECC1-1929-4943-80A7-20C40B3E273C.jpeg6CCE0C5D-B752-47D5-9AB0-C904B7931A8F.jpegCCB765D1-BBA7-42B8-BDF2-A4E62CFE7199.jpeg7E471FE0-04F8-47BF-BE49-0F1F3D2F37F8.jpeg55A15552-A67A-4C01-9F21-6548BA28EFBF.jpeg44EDCC72-50C3-4431-AA5C-9C9B51A7637E.jpeg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You were lucky to walk away from that fall! Spectacular photo ? He's a lovely looking horse, glad you're having fun.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
there is actually a full series of 6 photos of me coming off which the photographer kindly sent me, which definitely need printing out somewhere ?

we’re definitely still in the getting to know each other stage, especially as he’s the complete opposite of Henry. but all the instructors liked him, and all the raw material is there for what I want to do with him!

j1ffy

Visit site
He's a beauty! At least you got a photo of the fall ;) You were lucky, that could have been very nasty! But great that it's not spoilt your confidence as you look great together.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Great photos, lovely horse!! Which field farm were you at?
The one at Mumby, near Skegness. Was lovely and very well set up for camp type events, would go to another there! They do day hires as well though.

And yes fall could have been much worse, very lucky to get away with minor concussion and some bruising. Unfortunately does mean I now have to buy a new hat, as that one has had its share of impacts now ?

The sequence is fantastic and I’m sure will make it’s way onto shiteventersunite at some point ??

Bernster

Visit site
Wow he really did get some height on that one. Funny ejector seat photo! Those things are great experience and really help to get to know a ghorse and build the bond, well done.