Belated Munstead BE Report

Charem

Visit site
...Sorry guys, there's no amusing booby stories in this one ;)

It would seem I had forgotten, alongside a multitude of other semi-important things, to offer a sacrificial lamb to whichever divine entity was in charge of last weekend's weather. Two weeks, we had two whole weeks of wall to wall sunshine and blue skies in the run up to my first event of the season but as I myself and my two previously willing helpers sat huddled in the truck with the heating on full, the rain fell sharply from the sky, pushed horizontal by the gale force winds. I suspect my helpers were beginning to regret offering their assistance by this point.

Eventually the rain did ease off a bit and we braved a walk to the secretaries tent which, having survived without a soaking gave us courage to venture further afield to walk the cross country course. However not without a coat underarm. The course was, as far as I can remember the same as last year's and a perfect springboard to launch myself and Charlie in to the 2015 eventing season.

He warmed up sweetly enough in his usual fashion of not doing anything particularly bad but then not doing anything particularly well either. He is average at dressage and ten years of ownership have taught me to accept him for the shuffle-footed, dishy legged cob cob that he is and try to pick up the marks through accuracy instead. The test felt okay, he remained in front of my leg for the most part and to be fair the several mistakes were my fault. It was, as per usual an average test.
attachment.php

So when I was approaching fence two in the show jumping and the commentator announced that I had scored 25.5, I nearly fell off! Okay, time to remember how to ride I thought. For about seven strides I did and then Charlie took offense to the fillers under fence 3. He swung his quarters left and begun grinding to a halt when I commissioned my very growly 'Gyyeeetttttt Ohhhhnnnnnnn' usually reserved for the nappy backwards babies at work. Charlie, shocked that I would speak to him in such a manner leapt like a scolded cat before completing the rest of the course clear - despite my best efforts of burying him in to most of the remaining fences.
attachment.php

Cross country loomed and the butterflies were beginning to kick in. I had mistakenly taken a detour back to the trailer via the score shelter and seen that my dressage was the best of my section. With no faults to add from show jumping I knew that a clear round across the country would secure us the win. It was a realisation that terrified me. Thankfully the warm up was empty when we arrived and after a quick canter and pop over each jump it was time to face our cross country demons that were desperately trying to resurface.

Charlie remained remarkably calm during the countdown. A little jig jog here and there but none of the past antics of rearing, bucking and running backwards. As the starter called one I put my leg on and straight away he took up the bit and cantered boldly to fence one leaving our demons behind in the start box. He flew two, three and four in the same fashion as the first and then confidently jumped the coffin at five undeterred by the fact his legs were in a muddle because I had tried to be clever by asking for a change on the curving approach. Over six and then cantering on to the next combination at seven, a roll top with brush followed by a downhill curve to a step up to a skinny. We got fractionally close to part A, and Charlie in all his enthusiasm and complete inability to actually 'brush' through brush fences launched in to orbit. A naughty word rhyming with duck preceded by 'Oh' slipped from my lips and I found myself on the buckle end of the reins with B and C still to complete. Of course my first reaction to this predicament was to sit and flap like the aforementioned waterfowl. Charlie sensibly ignored the goings on on his back and completed the rest of the combination with ease. I was still wildly patting him whilst telling him how wonderful he was when we got to the water a eight, so he had to take care of that too. In fact it wasn't until the owlhole at ten that I finally resumed functional rider duties.
attachment.php

Tightly turning between a row of trees we were faced with another combination at eleven, a sheep feeder topped again with brush followed by fence twelve, a skinny five or six strides after. On approach Charlie gave me that wonderful feeling of reading the question and in mid-air over eleven and I felt him lock on to the log pile at twelve. I was more than happy to take a back seat and leave him to it, jumping out of a wonderful forward stride before cantering on to the next, a small pheasant feeder which incidentally we probably jumped the worse of all. Having scuttled thirteen it was on to the trakhaner spanning over an impressive ditch, which he took no notice of. The rest of the ride home was much the same, right up to the last which we met spot on at a gallop. It was the perfect jump to finish.
attachment.php

I had an anxious wait to see whether I had picked up any time faults. I was pretty sure I hadn't but when you're only point five of a mark ahead of your nearest rival it's easy to let doubt creep in. I've been the bridesmaid a couple times before and it would be just my luck for me to miss out on the top spot again because of something silly as a couple seconds...

[Content removed]
No times faults and our very first eventing win!

I really couldn't be prouder of Charlie. It's been one hell of a rollercoaster, these past ten and a bit years. From the early days of not being able to get him over the very smallest of logs to him suffering a serious tendon injury that threatened to end his ridden career altogether, oh and then my falling off a muckheap and breaking my leg in multiple places...There were certainly times when I thought we would never get the chance to set our truly dire BE record, which contained more letters than the alphabet, straight. Despite his tendency to throw in dirty stops cross country and our multiple eliminations I kept hanging on to the hope that we would one day get round clear. Having owned him since a four year old I knew that everything he did, the good and the bad, was my doing and my younger self who frequently unbalanced and hindered him to a fence had taught him to stop. We were a recipe for disaster; a just out of riding school girl and a just under saddle horse and whilst yes, disaster to a point did follow I can't begin to explain how much Charlie has taught me. He took away my confidence but he gave back so much more.

Anyway, I'm beginning to gush! Here's a photo from back in the day, this was taken shortly before I was dumped and Charlie continued to hunt without me.
attachment.php

Thanks for reading, I would offer easter eggs, but i've eaten them all ;)

We're off to tackle our first pre novice in a very long time next, at Whitfield I think. I need to dig out my brave pants first though.

Last edited by a moderator:

HotToTrot

Visit site
That is amazing!!! But please could I hear more about how you broke your leg falling off a muck heap.....

j1ffy

Visit site
Brilliant, well done! And the report was very entertaining despite the lack of boobs... I can't see a picture either :(

Charem

Visit site
That is amazing!!! But please could I hear more about how you broke your leg falling off a muck heap.....

Well it really was as ridiculous as it sounds. I had just finished putting the horses to bed after a days hunting. It was dark, cold and raining and as I turned to walk back down the ramp having just emptied a barrow of freshly skipped out poo I felt my feet go from underneath me. Not wanting to go splat on my face I tried to turn mid-fall and fell rather awkwardly and decidedly worse than it probably would have been had I just left gravity to do it's thing. The result was a big spiral fracture to my tibia plus two smaller breaks lower down, and I think both ends of my fibula. There was five breaks in total according to the Doc. I'll see if I can dig out my old x-rays if I can ever get this photo posting thing to work.

Back to the night I broke my leg. What made it all the more amusing was that having fallen off attempting to hedge hop on a 13hh bog pony (there's a photo of that somewhere too) I decided to cast off my muddy jacket in favour of my snuggly coat. Unfortunately I had also unwittingly left my phone with said jacket and then, with multiple fractures to my leg, had to drag myself a la Walking Dead zombie style across the yard from the muckheap to my car containing my jacket and phone. My mood wasn't much improved when on calling the ambulance the lady on the phone sweetly told me that someone was on their way and to just take two paracetamol whilst I waited. I'm sure you can imagine what my reply to that was.

My stay in hospital and the following weeks of recovery were pretty amusing too, a good thing really. My obvious limp appears to be a great conversation starter amongst strangers and five fractures and a metal peg leg deserve something better than 'I fell from a muckheap'.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I can see all of your photos too. Wonderful report, even without amusing booby stories. You had me well and truly hooked, I was riding every fence with you, willing you to go clear XC, and you didn't disappoint :D

Great report and fantastic result :)

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I wonder with your photos...you have them as attachments rather than photobucket or similar links, and I think people have the option in their settings not to view attachments, which might be why some people can't see them.

monte1

Visit site
Brilliant report, well done, I to was riding every fence with you :) love all the photos as well.. good luck with the pre-novice, look forward to the report... oh and just LOVE the breaking leg on muck heap story, nearly spat my coffe out laughing.......

Charem

Visit site
I wonder with your photos...you have them as attachments rather than photobucket or similar links, and I think people have the option in their settings not to view attachments, which might be why some people can't see them.

I used HandH's photo uploader since I have long forgotten my log in details to photobucket. Turns out I had the album set to private...oops!

Thank you again for all your lovely comments. I cant promise our next event at Whitfield will be quite as successful, but I'm sure I will have some amusing story one way or another to tell ;)