Belgian draft owners (or any draft)

Squiddies

New User
Visit site
Hello :) I have just bought my first Belgian draft mare. I have a couple of quick questions.
Saddles! What saddles fit (our saddler cannot come out for about 6 weeks!). I have been considering treeless, but am unsure what brands to trust and also feel I lack knowledge in them, what do I need to know? What brand of treed saddles have you found work on a draft? Has anyone used a western?
Second is food. Considering she will just be a plod for hacking on twice a week at most, is adlib hay suitable? What do you feed yours?
Rugs. What brands fit them well? And what size does yours wear? I shouldnt imagine she will ever need anything but a no fill, fly rug and maybe fleece, but would like to know what makes fit them best?
Has anyone found bridles that fit well? What bit do you use? Why? What size is it?
Sorry if they seem stupid questions but I like knowing what has worked for others with their horses. Any snarky comments will be ignored. Any helpful and friendly advice will be greatly appreciated :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Well I'm not keen on the 'attitude' in your post which I feel is quite uncalled for but
I have a 16hh Westphalian Kaltblut mare. After 4 saddles in 5 yrs, none of which fitted her perfectly, she is most comfortable in a Solution saddle - very expensive but worth it for the way it allows her t.o use her shoulders more freely than ever before.
She wears 6'9" rugs, I don't spend a fortune, she is currently wearing Gallop.
She was massively overweight when I bought her, so was immediately put on a diet of some hay and ad-lib straw chaff. Now she gets ad-lib hay. As she is now in her 20s and has Cushings, she also gets a bucket feed of soaked Agrobs haycobs with cooked linseed and supplements/meds.
She has an absolutely fabulous character, very opinionated and bossy but very affectionate, one of the nicest horses I have ever owned.
Enjoy yours!

jsprince

Visit site
Hello :) I have just bought my first Belgian draft mare. I have a couple of quick questions.
Saddles! What saddles fit (our saddler cannot come out for about 6 weeks!). I have been considering treeless, but am unsure what brands to trust and also feel I lack knowledge in them, what do I need to know? What brand of treed saddles have you found work on a draft? Has anyone used a western?
Second is food. Considering she will just be a plod for hacking on twice a week at most, is adlib hay suitable? What do you feed yours?
Rugs. What brands fit them well? And what size does yours wear? I shouldnt imagine she will ever need anything but a no fill, fly rug and maybe fleece, but would like to know what makes fit them best?
Has anyone found bridles that fit well? What bit do you use? Why? What size is it?
Sorry if they seem stupid questions but I like knowing what has worked for others with their horses. Any snarky comments will be ignored. Any helpful and friendly advice will be greatly appreciated :)

Hi good luck with horse, my friend had a Belgian draft, I have percherons.
When it came to saddles mine are in xwide ideal vsd, Barry swain/ Kay humphries holistic and I have another that I can't remember the name of. Luckily mine are all of a similar build and I can happily swap saddles between them depending on whose lost or put on muscle.
Feed wise mine are riding driving year round and work just off grass or hay in winter, they do have 12 acres for 4 of them. They will happily go out driving 15/20 km 3 x week just from grass so I really wouldn't be swayed by feed companies.

Rug wise it depends on build all have 7ft rugs but my sport type Percheron is happy in any make rug, whilst French type really doesn't get on with Saxon but is good in shires. They all have a trace clip or full clip in winter then have light weights only because otherwise they run hot it also makes them easier to keep clean. I only buy cheap £20/25 rugs then chuck them at the end of winter cheaper than reproofing washing plus my lot like to make holes in them.
Bridle wise I have a blue horse equine draft combo bridle and also leather bridles, mine are in 6.5 7 inch bits either Liverpool, butterfly driving or Tom Thumb copper roller. It depends on what horse goes well in though.
Hope this helps.

SEL

Visit site
Belgian Ardennes in a saddle company saddle with adjustable tree. I rarely rug him but he has a selection of Epic rugs. Bridle and bit both from Blue Horse as nothing else fitted.

Hay will be fine. You have to watch sugar and starch with draft breeds and keep levels low. Mine drops weight badly over winter so moves into haylage and linseed.

Lovely natured horses - I'd have another in a heartbeat

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I have a Suffolk.

He gets no feed but grass and ad lib haylage. He only has a fly rug . It is an Epic rug from the big horse shop. He measures 7'6" but I think we might have been OK in a 7'3" because they are generous in length and depth but it is a little tight over his shoulders.

We got the bridle made by Fylde Saddlery. The reins I got from them were 62" and just not quite long enough so ordering 6' reins from a harness maker. Fylde saddlery do some great wide saddles if you need a new one but I got lucky and my saddler had a second hand Ideal saddle. I picked up a 62" Shires humane girth from a second hand shop (so they do exist). I find high wither numnahs are slightly better and give more room even though mine doesn't have a high wither.

I got a 7" bit from blue horse equine but now thinking I wish I'd got slightly bigger, so will be ordering 7.5" soon.

Good luck.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
It's this bit, which I have to admit raised my eyebrows when I read it.

Any snarky comments will be ignored.

Recently we have had a few thread starters which have stated similar things and it really puts me off answering the question at all, just incase I say the *wrong* thing, or the way I phrase it isn't gushingly positive enough. I actually always try to be helpful, but sometimes you need to say things that people don't want to hear. Also sometimes a little joke lightens the thread and is a great, joyful thing (eg the 'make sure that both surfaces are clean' on the bond thread). :)

merlin12

Visit site
I have a shirex cob . I have an xw balance saddle also a saddle company one they both fit him well. He has an extra large bridle . Rugs ,Shires are a good fit also weather beaters, but he is hard on rugs. He tales a 6'9 or a 7' rug . I like 100g gallop as they are cheap . He has ad lib hay lives out and I feed happy hoof in winter,though he may need more as getting old. Good luck with your horse.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It's this bit, which I have to admit raised my eyebrows when I read it.

Recently we have had a few thread starters which have stated similar things and it really puts me off answering the question at all, just incase I say the *wrong* thing, or the way I phrase it isn't gushingly positive enough. I actually always try to be helpful, but sometimes you need to say things that people don't want to hear. Also sometimes a little joke lightens the thread and is a great, joyful thing (eg the 'make sure that both surfaces are clean' on the bond thread). :)

Indeed it was, F. I almost didn't bother to answer a new poster with attitude, that type of request on any post annoys me. I only answered because my own Draft are is absolutely fabulous, she had been squashed into tack and rugs in a previous home and become very wary and I wouldn't like it to happen to another horse, if I can do something to help to avoid it.

Having thought about it I have wondered if the poster is young and almost resents having a good, steady horse to look after him/her. Maybe they have had some picky comments from 'friends'.

honetpot

Visit site
I think people who ask basic questions, that other people think they should know the answer to are sometimes treated with distain, which makes people defensive.
I used to have a Belgium draft cross, who was a maxi cob build. Extra large in bridles, he had a short head so needed a larger nose band, so any 'good' brand.
I find Horseware seem to fit anything, he was in a 6'9'', or Bucas in rugs.
Saddles, a wide or extra wide anything, Barnsby 5 fit, Albion wide, Barry Swain, Balance, never had any success with synthetic. They tend to have big shoulders so make sure the girthing doesn't pinch./constrict. Not has hard to fit as a high withered TB.
I had a shire X, apart from his huge head and huge feet, his saddle was a medium/wide and his rug was a normal fit.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Farrington saddles are my favourite for the wider horse. GP is fine for everyday riding and the WH is nicely cut for dressage and showing.

The vast majority of the rugs are Shires and horseware. I struggle with fly rugs for the horses with huge deep necks.

There is one point that no one has picked up on yet, and that is fencing. If you are going to keep the bigger breeds you need good fencing regardless of whether they are thugs are not. It takes a good fence to withstand a draught horse arse scratching session ! Good luck with the new horse.

SEL

Visit site
19055571_10154492723031771_4579774041651134081_o.jpg

Obviously this thread needs photos too.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Farrington saddles are my favourite for the wider horse. GP is fine for everyday riding and the WH is nicely cut for dressage and showing.

The vast majority of the rugs are Shires and horseware. I struggle with fly rugs for the horses with huge deep necks.

There is one point that no one has picked up on yet, and that is fencing. If you are going to keep the bigger breeds you need good fencing regardless of whether they are thugs are not. It takes a good fence to withstand a draught horse arse scratching session ! Good luck with the new horse.

You are right AA, my Draft horse can move the stable wall (partition), if she decides to have a good scratch. Our fields have electric fencing inside the boundary to stop that happening - and fortunately she respects that. Cob in other field, not so much.

Widgeon

Visit site
I think people who ask basic questions, that other people think they should know the answer to are sometimes treated with distain, which makes people defensive.

I agree, there have been several posts recently with a "and please don't respond if you're just going to be rude" caveat added - which obviously doesn't go down well with people who always try to offer useful and kind advice, but I can see why these posters are saying it. I've read a fair number of threads on here where an enthusiastic and inexperienced poster has been called a troll or laid into for asking a relatively basic question, which really hurts when you posted because you were feeling a bit desperate / just looking for help.

Squiddies

New User
Visit site
For anyone feeling a bit unsure of the "no snarky comments" it is simply because I have had so many ankle nippers. A nice thread with kind and helpful answers with no one making a atmosphere makes things a lot more pleasant. It also shouldn't bother those who are genuine and like to help, which many of you have!
I am pleased to know she should do just fine on grass and ad lib hay :)
After reading your replies on saddles I think we will aim for a "good" brand of adjustable. Has anyone ever tried a thorowgood? I used to love my T4.
I have borrowed a couple of XL bridles from a friend to see if they do fit, complete with 7" bits to see if they do fit. I read somewhere they dont like single jointed bits, has anyone else found this?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
For anyone feeling a bit unsure of the "no snarky comments" it is simply because I have had so many ankle nippers. A nice thread with kind and helpful answers with no one making a atmosphere makes things a lot more pleasant.

I quite agree, which is why I thought it was a pity that you started off your membership of HHO with such an unpleasant comment. When you are asking for help, it is always best to be pleasant.
As for 7" bits, the easiest one to get hold of ime is the PeeWee which suited 2 of my big mares. My Draft horse is fine in a 61/2" NS Universal, although she has a very square muzzle. She has a long face and without having cheekpieces made to measure,, they won't reach the PeeWee rings which are small. She does have an extra long browband which I actually bought for a Clydesdale.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Indeed it was, F. I almost didn't bother to answer a new poster with attitude, that type of request on any post annoys me. I only answered because my own Draft are is absolutely fabulous, she had been squashed into tack and rugs in a previous home and become very wary and I wouldn't like it to happen to another horse, if I can do something to help to avoid it.

Having thought about it I have wondered if the poster is young and almost resents having a good, steady horse to look after him/her. Maybe they have had some picky comments from 'friends'.

I'm very glad you did reply, I don't have a draught, but I do have a sports horse that has borrowed a draught's shoulder, and have been wondering about solution saddles.....really helpful to know they have been good for yours - will take a closer look.

And thanks to AA have added Farringtons to my list now too :)

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I have a customer with a Suffolk that has a 66" girth!

OP it may depend on the exact shape of your horse, if very wide across the wither, rather than very wide and V shaped I'm talking that true barrell shape, then most synthetics have narrow pommels and aren't actually very flat, so even in their widest fittings can perch and roll. You also want to make sure any fitter you opt for knows how to fit wide horses, they're not easy. I would look for a hoop tree if you have this sort of shaped horse, these are always wooden rather than changeable headplate, but can often be adjusted slightly by a good fitter (much older saddles can't, and you can't change them in-out-in-out seasonally).