Bella’s spay day....nervous!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
So the day has finally come that Bella the rabbit is old enough to be spayed and the vets are back to routine stuff.
Very nervous now we are here.
fear no.1 that Bella is a boy ?‍♀️
I know lots of smaller animals struggle with GA ? this go’s well and she can be properly introduced to her new husband!

Kay Burton

Visit site
I hope all be fine. Hold on. everything will be great with your rabbit, because the bunnies are so cute and positive!

Birker2020

Visit site
That's good news! You must be so relieved.

When we had the dog spayed they told us not to let her jump onto the furniture. She knew she wasn't allowed on it, she never had been allowed, so we didn't think it would be a problem. After we got home from having collected her we put her basket in the lounge and left her to doze. When we went in half an hour later she'd jumped up onto the sofa and was fast asleep! Typical!

Redders

Visit site
Is he still wearing the cone? I don’t like commenting on other vets treatment plans, BUT this is something not all vets know and isn’t a reflection on their skills in general....rabbits shouldn’t wear a cone. It interferes too much with their natural behaviours so can be a little distressing for them, plus they need to be able to perform caecotrophy and the cone prevents this. Provided he has adequate pain relief (what was given as part of his premed and twice daily metacam or equivalent) he will leave the area alone x

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Is he still wearing the cone? I don’t like commenting on other vets treatment plans, BUT this is something not all vets know and isn’t a reflection on their skills in general....rabbits shouldn’t wear a cone. It interferes too much with their natural behaviours so can be a little distressing for them, plus they need to be able to perform caecotrophy and the cone prevents this. Provided he has adequate pain relief (what was given as part of his premed and twice daily metacam or equivalent) he will leave the area alone x
Yes, I tried to take it off this morning as hes struggling to eat. I was having to hold food up. I’m going to get my husband to help me get if off when he gets home.
Thank you

poiuytrewq

Visit site
@Redders The collar is off. I’d been worried I was doing the wrong thing but a combo of your knowledgeable comment and his real misery was enough!
He’s far far cheerier now, had a big bowl of food which had painkillers on and a pile of hay to munch through. He also enjoyed a really good neck scruffle ?

Redders

Visit site
E
@Redders The collar is off. I’d been worried I was doing the wrong thing but a combo of your knowledgeable comment and his real misery was enough!
He’s far far cheerier now, had a big bowl of food which had painkillers on and a pile of hay to munch through. He also enjoyed a really good neck scruffle ?

Excellent!! Sounds like he is doing very well :) I bet he will be having a mega grooming session now it’s off. Just keep an eye that he isn’t paying much attention to his castrate wounds. Like I said, generally they leave them alone so long as they have the right pain relief on board, but important to check the area to make sure

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Poor boy, I can’t actually check the area. Whilst he’s super friendly as In I sit with him and he comes over for fuss he really freaks out if I pick him up (I’m really surprised how I’ve picked up the him/he’s!)
I will keep an eye out for any interest in the area though.

Kay Burton

Visit site
E

Excellent!! Sounds like he is doing very well :) I bet he will be having a mega grooming session now it’s off. Just keep an eye that he isn’t paying much attention to his castrate wounds. Like I said, generally they leave them alone so long as they have the right pain relief on board, but important to check the area to make sure

I think it will be all right when the animal adapts. Over time, feeling a good attitude towards itself, the animal in return will also treat the owner well. Empathy generally works both ways.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Is he feeling up for you taking a photo of him so we can see him?

also, didn't you acquire another bunny? Could we see him too?

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Oh wow he's huge! Those ears are fabulous! how much does he weigh roughly (if let's you pick him up)
Love his set up, has he got his own room?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Oh wow he's huge! Those ears are fabulous! how much does he weigh roughly (if let's you pick him up)
Love his set up, has he got his own room?
He hates being picked up, very friendly but prefers to come to me and stay at floor level!
When he was spayed which was a few weeks ago they weighed him at 3.4 kg! He eats his body weight daily aswell ?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
They kind of have their own room yes, winter quarters!
We live on a farm where an old cow shed (I think) got converted into a rough dining room for shoot days. I’ve fenced it in half and they get half of it. It’s pretty huge but currently split as they are still separate for now.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
He hates being picked up, very friendly but prefers to come to me and stay at floor level!
When he was spayed which was a few weeks ago they weighed him at 3.4 kg! He eats his body weight daily aswell ?

Wow that's a lot of bunny! It's nice that he's friendly and comes to visit with you

Could we see a photo of your other bunny?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Wow that's a lot of bunny! It's nice that he's friendly and comes to visit with you

Could we see a photo of your other bunny?
Yes, I need to take one, will have a go tomorrow. He’s the same colour but normal rabbit size, lopped ears and has really pretty white patches underneath?