Belton - First report of the season

sw123

Visit site
I have been persuaded to report here, first report but not the first event as Spider did run at Burnham Market a few weeks ago in the Open Pre Nov where he was double clear but 35 dr not good enough for placings! Otherwise he had a long quiet hairy and muddy winter following his win at the young horse champs.

To recap Spider is our very precious homebred now 6yo by Mill Law who is ridden by Emilie Chandler for us.

So, Belton, his second novice having done one last year at Burnham Market, and his second event of the year having run at Burnham Market in the Open Pre Nov a few weeks ago. I love Belton it is just such a lovely venue, feels like its a big occasion and the course is always big but well built and inviting. Em had another novice running, doing his first novice and then another horse owned by Bessie (my new horses) owner doing the 7 & 8 yr old Intermediate Class.

Arrived just as Em came back from the XC on the first novice who she was absolutely thrilled with having done a 35 dressage and double clear round what turned out to be a big and quite technical track. No complaints there!! So it was all eyes on Spider, Now i've not seen him "live" at an event since the Burghley Young Event Horse Finals last year where he was quite naughty and wow what a change. When I got to the dressage warm up there was a stunning bay horse doing lovely shoulder in down the long side of the field, I thought oo thats nice and then realised it was him!!! He has really really grown up, come up into a much more mature outline and just looks so much stronger in himself. Them connections of Mill Law his sire came over and commented on how well he looked and said she was glad he wasnt in their section as he was looking seriously smart - praise indeed from them!

Into the test he just looked soft and relaxed the whole way, couldnt fault him until the final halt where he was square but resting a leg!! Quite a wait till SJ so we went for a sunny wonder round the shops which are very nice, lots of pretty things to look at. As I walked down to the SJ I thought the course looked huge but then I've not got my eye in after a year of not jumping. Spider jumped the first cross pole and I couldnt believe it he seriously seriously jumped, can't wait to upload the dvd . Absolutely pinged everything, he has his toes on his tummy in front and loops the loop behind. Wow.

Into the ring and he jumped great, really good clear round. True professional that he is he ignored the friend of ours that was following him into the ring and ended up coming flying sideways in and then leaping across the ring as he came to the final fence!! I did say to him if his out of control horse had ruined my clear round there would have been a huge amount of trouble. So as they announced Spider's clear round he galloped off to the other end of the arena shouting woop woop, go Em go Em!!! Not sure if he made it round the course!!

Took him straight onto the XC he gets really excited and loves that part of his job. We found out his dressage as he went to the start and it was 30.5 so he could go into 2nd place with a clear XC. No pressure then! Well he zoomed out of the start box and cruised round, he just looked fabulous. He answered everything that was asked and never missed anything. I watched him through the angled coffin which was skinny, ditch to skinny on a diagnonal line. This caught lots out he looked so classy it was great. So, clear inside the time.

Clever boy, my gawky little foal being a big novice eventer! News came through that Ruth Edge who had been in the lead had a run out meaning he had won!!!! Lots of excited Spider fans in the lorry park!!

Bless him 7 points in 2 novices. He really does just do everything asked of him and really enjoy it too. Very proud going up to collect his rosette - although no clapping was allowed as there was dressage going on next to the prize giving!! Em's other horse in the Intermediate did a double clear to come 5th so 3/3 double clears and 2 rosettes - good day at the office i'd say!!

Waiting for pics to be uploaded!

Onwards to Chatsworth our local now!

seabiscuit

Visit site
Thats absolutely awesome- congrats! He sounds amazing!!

Did I read it right - a loose horse galloped into the ring while Spider was SJ?!!! And crossed over his line?!

BTW what has happened to the lovely little grey mare?:)

sw123

Visit site
No not a loose horse - but a v naughty horse and not a v incontrol rider!!! (who should know better!)

Millie the grey mare is doing great, she had a small op last year so had most of the season off but is ready and raring to go and slightly disgusted she has to go out to places such as moreton morrell and rodbaston not belton and chatsworth to do some open pn's first!!!

langside

Visit site
awhhh what a star he is no wonder your such a proud mummy :)
what are his aims this year?

and poor millie having to slum-it :p
didn't you get the memo that only stately homes are the places in which little grey mares can be seen ;)

Baydale

Visit site
Wow, that's a great result, Spider is a star. :) That's great to hear that Millie is back in circulation - maybe not getting to go to the posh events will motivate her to play catch-up? ;)