Benefits of a dressage saddle over GP/WH for lower levels?

Walrus

Visit site
We have just started going out BD and I recently rode in a borrowed dressage saddle for the first time. It seemed to really help my position (we are an awkward combination of a long legged rider on a short, round pony). Our usual saddle is a working hunter saddle and it has been great (although is currently in the habit of sliding forwards so has gone off to be adjusted in the hope we can get it right).

I still want to jump and do some xc etc so moving purely to a dressage saddle is not an option; however the thought of having a dressage saddle as well as the WH is tempting. But is it a little excessive for prelim / novice dressage?!

I've only ridden in the dressage saddle a couple of times (and now it's gone back to its owner) so just wondering if people see a significant difference and benefit of using a dressage saddle for their flatwork even at a fairly basic level?

Opinions and experiences welcome - saddles are a complete nightmare as we are such an awkward combination to fit and I'm starting to wonder if a dressage saddle will help put my long legs in the right place on my mini-pony!

kc100

Visit site
I bought a DR saddle and I dont even compete at the moment! Haha! Personally I love them for most activities other than jumping, it puts me in a much more secure seat and my position is so much better, and it frees up the horses shoulder so any movement, regardless of how complex or easy it may be, is made better because the horse has more freedom. Heck come to think of it I've jumped in a DR saddle (only tiny cross poles!).....

I would never say a DR saddle is excessive, regardless of what level you are at or whether you even compete. I use mine out hacking! If you have affiliated then I dont see why you shouldnt get one providing you can afford it, if you have felt a big difference already it is going to make your schooling better when you want to move up the levels.

There are some great second hand DR saddles on the market, perhaps going all out and buying a brand spanking new Amerigo might be excessive, but a second hand one.....if you can afford it why the hell not.

Wish I had your problem of long legs....I on the other hand have stumps instead of legs and it seems my yearling has decided he is going to take on the title of the world's tallest horse when he grows up....

Walrus

Visit site
The one we borrowed was an Amerigo "dribble dribble" and it was rather nice! Think I will start scoping out what is available second hand at various saddlers. My long legs sounds like they are a blessing - I did a clinic and was told I had the ideal legs for a dressage rider - however I'm a pony person and my 13.1hh fell pony does not match my long dressage rider legs!

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
I 'did' a bit of unaff prelim dressage in my GP for a year or 2, which was fine. However I felt it was holding back my position, and when I was lucky enough to borrow one which fitted Saf, I couldn't believe the difference (I'd never sat in a dressage saddle before). I got my own one a few months later, and I honestly wouldn't go back. I hack in it, gallop and pop the odd jump. Now if I sit in a GP it feels really alien to me.

So yes, I would definitely recommend one even for lower levels. You don't have to spend a fortune, there are lots of secondhand Wintecs out there :)

Before and after piccy:

10696321_666021810179302_3685090318675901802_n.jpg

kc100

Visit site
The one we borrowed was an Amerigo "dribble dribble" and it was rather nice! Think I will start scoping out what is available second hand at various saddlers. My long legs sounds like they are a blessing - I did a clinic and was told I had the ideal legs for a dressage rider - however I'm a pony person and my 13.1hh fell pony does not match my long dressage rider legs!

No wonder you liked it if it was an Amerigo! I ride my friend's horse and hers is a second hand Amerigo, she paid about £1,100 I think so if you have some spare cash lying around......They are lovely to ride in though, super comfy!

But you can get some really good synthetic versions if you dont have that sort of money, or if you are not fussed about a 'brand' you can often find some good quality Walsall made English leather saddles second hand for under £1k and they are only cheaper because they dont have a 'brand name'. In the quest to find a saddle for my silly shaped WBx that I ride (for another friend!) I tried 2 lovely, brand new, Walsall made leather DR saddles and they were gorgeous, just couldnt get the fit quite right on silly horse and they were about £450-£500 and that was brand new. I do however have the advantage of being in the West Mids myself so can get to saddlers that actually make their own (as in this instance) and sell them on relatively cheaply because they are made locally.

Sol

Visit site
My previous trainer & friend used Wintec dressage saddles on her Fells :) I don't think they suit them all perhaps, but worked well on her 3 & they're cheap & comfortable. I'd rather school in a dressage saddle at any level - quite happy to hack/jump/gallop in one too though which makes things a bit simpler!

FRP

Visit site
I have a set dressage flaps for my shallow seat Wow jump saddle & find them of massive benefit.
Its a massive bonus of my wow as picked up 2nd hand Giant Fixed Block flaps for £250 :)

burtie

Visit site
It can make a huge difference due to the position of the flaps and the stirrup bars. I'm currently reduced to competing in an old style Event saddle (his Dressage no longer fits!), which is really comfy but has forward cut flaps and the stirrup bars 2" further forward than they would be in a Dressage saddle. This means it's almost impossible to maintain the correct shoulder, hip, heel alignment, particularly in trot and sitting trot is very hard. If my stirrups were at jumping length it's much easier due to the bend in the knee! If my leg was in alignment at the longer length stirrup, they would actually be off the back of the flap! I compensate as best as I can but have to ride shorter than I'm used to!