Benefits of going affiliated?

mudmonkey17

Visit site
Hi am thinking of trying affiliated dressage with pony. We are currently at prelim but working at novice at home. Still working on the mediums though and getting more consistent so sticking at prelim when compete as he gets tense so like to make it easy for him at mo.
With such variations in marking and comments was thinking of doing some affiliated prelims. My question is would you say it is worth it? Is the standard a lot higher and would we look out of place? Horse is a 14.2 Appaloosa cob cross x

spike123

Visit site
Have heard that marks may vary by as much as 5% when riding affiliated compared to unaffiliated but if you are being marked by listed judges at unaffiliated then there shouldn't be that much difference in your scores. It's something I also plan to do soon and I also have the typical non dressage type of horse but from photos i have seen of the affiliated competitions at my local venue there are as many non typical dressage types of horse there as the typical sort so no reason not to go have a go.

eggs

Visit site
You'll get all sorts at affiliated BD so you have every right to be there! Often your marks will drop a little even if you have had affiliated judges judging at the unaffiliated shows. I prefer affiliated to be honest even though a class usually costs more.

You and your horse can join as associate members which is free and do preliminary open sections.

GemG

Visit site
I was put off years ago, despite being a fairly experienced jack of all trades at unaff level. I went and did BD and kind of got overwhelmed by the gorgeous, tall, huge moving warmbloods (I was on a 14.2 spotty who although can do the flat perfectly well, preferred jumping), ridden by flashy dark navy/black coated, super white breeched, shiny people on black tacked horse (me in tweed, with brown tack in a GP) and unsurprisingly I didn't enjoy it. So didn't go back.

Fast forward 12 or more years (now) and I wish I hadn't been so stupid and pathetic. My older self is so much more self assured and I really wish I had got on with it and concentrated on my riding, my horse, my test and enjoyed it instead of comparing myself to everyone else.

Now I can't wait to get back to BD (can't just now due to baby) but I will and I know I will enjoy it. Now I don't care if I have tweed on, the reality is many people do and look great, there are lots of different types, shapes, people, etc. I just overwhelmed myself and felt out of my depth back then (silly me!). I still can't believe I was so silly.

If you get the opportunity and you have enough time and £ and have done your schooling... ...just do it!

mudmonkey17

Visit site
Thanks for those replies. One more question through. Was looking on the website but am confused by it all. It said can enter prelim open without being a member. Do you have to join as an associate member to do this? Printed out forms but it said horse owner had to be a member of British dressage?
Help!

leflynn

Visit site
Yes you canter enter the open section as long as you are an associate member and horse is registered (free).

I don't care what peple think :D I have a dinky ex racer and started wearing tweed and a skull cap with velvet cover and he used to spook at everything, probably looked out of place too, but we give the flashy warmbloods a little run for their money now :D

joolie

Visit site
I did my first BD prelim on Saturday. I had to be associate registered and my horse - both free - and we had to enter the open class. There were a mix of people there some on big flashy warmbloods but I was on a 14.2 Welsh D, also saw a very traditional coloured cob going into another class. Our walk and trot work is good, canter needs work but we still managed 67.8% and 3rd overall out of 12 (should have registered as would have won restricted section!!). Show was smoothly ran and judging good, atmosphere seemed a bit calmer compared to unaff at same venue. Give it a go!! :)

mrsh2010

Visit site
I've actually found affiliated competitions a lot friendly. Better organised and much more enjoyable.

I was told to expect my scores to drop 5%, but actually my lad loves the 20 x 60 arenas and our scores increased.

It is more expense to enter, but I suppose you get what you pay for!

Have fun!!

JoJo_

Visit site
I organise affiliated and unaffiliated Dressage competitions. I would say it depends if you are currently being judged by BD listed judges or not. Non-listed judges can have a wild range of marks. I've had 64% and 85% in 2 tests at the same competition when I lived in Warks but that was from a listed judge then an un-listed. At the competitions I run (unaffiliated comps are for the local RC) the judges are listed and scoring is quite consistent so a lot of RC folk dont see the benefit going affiliated due to increased entry fees and the fact that they dont intend to go beyond elem/medium and probably dont have a shot at being placed highly at Regionals. Also gaining too many BD points can put themselves out of competing RC.

Having said that, there are all sorts who compete affiliated. Yes the flashy warmbloods get good marks for their paces and will probably go higher but i've seen irish cobs, welsh, traditional cobs, TBs, loads of different sorts getting good consistent marks.

ironhorse

Visit site
I've just started doing affiliated dressage on my 7yo American Quarter Horse - bred for western and mainly competed in western tack until this year. I joined as a Team Quest member so I can actually do restricted prelim (but also had great fun doing a TQ comp with some mates at the start of the year - the horse had been ill and I wasn't expecting much but with their support he got the team's top score!), but the main reason was to do long arena tests on what is quite a big, gangly horse! We are loving it - he has been out twice, the first time the scores actually went up from his unaffiliated percentages and both were over the regionals qualifying threshold, the second time they were back down a bit because we are asking more of him now, but I was still over the moon with him. I'm hoping we'll get our Area Festivals qualifying letter soon - we won't go this year as I want to concentrate a bit more on training with a view to doing some novice tests and (eek) music next year. Yes there are some flashy horses there, but I have the pleasure of knowing my guy is generally chilled and happy in the warm up and stands quietly by the lorry between tests unlike some we have seen :D You do get all sorts tho and they get some great scores - at the first comp the overall winner was a coloured cob and at the last one both horsey and I were entranced by a beautiful Haffy with flowing mane who was in the novice and elementary. Also the stewards etc are extremely friendly and helpful and go out of their way to make you feel welcome at our local BD venues. Go for it!

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
love affiliated comps. I have a very average Welsh D, everyone is so friendly and welcoming. There are other breeds other than WBs but you pay the same entry fee as them you have as much right to be there. I noticed a 5% drop in scores from unaff so take that into account. Go for it! :)