Benji - An Up-date!

keeperscottage

Visit site
I have been overwhelmed with PMs and now feel 100% hopeful that Benji can be found a good home. I will respond to all PMs but there are so many of them it is going to take me a couple of evenings (and I'm out both tomorrow and Friday evening! Please be patient - <font color="red"> </font> !

I am attaching three photos of Benji, two taken in the summer when he was in good condition (and yes, I do acknowledge that he is horribly overbent in one of the photos but at least it shows him with a bit of weight on him!) and the third photo of him is how he looks now - hairy, underweight and no muscle. At least anyone who takes him on can see what he can look like with a bit of TLC!

Several people have PM'd me wanting a showjumper etc. I'd honestly rather he had a quieter life now, not because he's old (he's only 12) but I feel he deserves it after all he's been through.

I feel confident that there will be a happy ending to this. My neighbour and her partner have been keeping an unbelievably low profile - obviously avoiding me like the plague! The more I think about what she said in her text messages to me, the more wound up I feel!

Anyway - all messages WILL be answered!

YesIknowhesoverbent.jpg

Yes - I know he's overbent!

benjijumping.jpg

benji.jpg

Looking crap in the winter!

allijudd

Visit site
he looks so sad and depressed in that last photo.....

he can come and live with us for the rest of his life....and have a nice quiet time.....

dieseldog

Visit site
I don't really understand why he looks like that as you have been looking after him for quite a few months - no spare TLC for him at your place?

shadowboy

Visit site
KC- If mum doesnt mind, we may be able to house him and take him on permanently. We are in Essex so if you wanted to see our yard etc you would be more than welcome. Let me know if you still need a home for him! You can PM me if you want.

keeperscottage

Visit site
I have six horse. There is stabling and grazing for four, plus turn out (what was grazing is now a sea of mud) for my two ponies who are fed hay ad lib and who are as fat and round as you can imagine. Don't forget, I didn't choose to take this horse on. I cannot magic a stable out of thin air for him. He was dumped on me. I have fed him and rugged him well, but I cannot give him stabling, which is what he needs. I cannot work miracles.

Ruggers

Visit site
Diesel dog get a life. Why do you have to be a bitch to everyone and put in your pathetic digs? KC is obviously trying to help this horse have a second chance. Unlike you, who would have it in a can of dog food in 5 minutes.

dreama

New User
Visit site
Bless him, he is gorgeous! i can offer him a home aswell i did send you a PM (new here though so not sure i did it right lol!)

Really hope this chap gets the best he certainly sounds like he deserves it xx

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand why he looks like that as you have been looking after him for quite a few months - no spare TLC for him at your place?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm afraid I don't understand that either
frown.gif

KC, he does look in poor condition. The lack of stabling doesn't really make sense to me; I have over 40 horses living outside 24/7 in sub-zero temperatures and none of them look like that.

I hope he does find a caring home where he can be lovingly brought back to his former glory. The new owners may want to have his back checked out too as it looks like he has a swelling where a badly fitting saddle has been. Good luck in finding a great home for him.

SALLYT

Visit site
Yes he is poor condition, but the reasons for this have been explained and really is not the point of KC original post.
It is a terrible situation for both KC and Benji, but I'm sure it will all work out in the end for you both.

Good luck.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
He does look a little poor...but you can't attribute that to his living out. My 19yo TB lives out...24/7 and she's curvy...as are my two youngsters....
May we ask what you are feeding him? Maybe we could suggest something that would work better for you and/or his future owners/loaners?
S
smile.gif

JM07

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Diesel dog get a life. Why do you have to be a bitch to everyone and put in your pathetic digs? KC is obviously trying to help this horse have a second chance. Unlike you, who would have it in a can of dog food in 5 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats right out of order.....

some of the ponies that came out of Amersham were a damn sight fatter than this thing...i think its bloody disgraceful that those that have replied here, taking a supportive stace with the OP.

She should be given a damned good lesson in horse management, not given sympathy.

Good job she is seeking a home for this animal, as it's likely to be an ILPH case before spring!

MizElz

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

some of the ponies that came out of Amersham were a damn sight fatter than this thing...i think its bloody disgraceful that those that have replied here, taking a supportive stace with the OP.

She should be given a damned good lesson in horse management, not given sympathy.

Good job she is seeking a home for this animal, as it's likely to be an ILPH case before spring!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's a little OTT, JM....The horse looks in bad condition, but he isnt skinny; he appears to have done what most elderly horses - i know he is not elderly - do and just dropped all his condition, but I wouldnt say he looks malnourished. I will admit that when I compare him at 12 to my 13 year old, the contrast is stark; it is clear that he isnt doing well. But how can you blame this one Keeperscottage, when it isnt her horse in the first place? If she was neglectful of her animals, he wouldnt have looked as healthy as he did in the summer pics - and lets be honest, there isnt much to nitpick about him there! KC is doing the right thing by trying to rehome him; she has stressed the importance of finding a home NOW, she has also had her hands tied due to various legal aspects regarding passing him onto someone else...so please don't criticise her for not being proactive about this issue.

JM07

Visit site
of course she's at fault...she's had the bloody thing since summer.........check out the top 2 pics...Summer.......bottom pic...Now.....

not rocket science..

she's also admitted in her threads that she hasnt had the time or inclination to look after the thing either...

so yes, it is her fault!!!!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Unfair. I have a mare, bought last summer, and we were warned by two people who'd had her that she drops weight in winter and we'd struggle to keep her condition on.

Quite the reverse in fact, but the difference being with us she lives in and with them she lived out. She hates it in the field and probably ran her weight off up and down the fence, wanting to come in!

Lay off and give KC a chance to find the horse a home. You need to make your minds up. Does she do what the owners of the Amersham horses did and sell out to the likes of JG, and risk it really ending up in dire straits, or come on here and try to find him a home?

JM07

Visit site
maybe feeding it on a regular basis might of helped????

also, would all who are defending the dropping of weight from this animal be quite so united if this was a picture of some random animal in the local press????

no, i didn't think so........

dieseldog

Visit site
The thing with this is that what she is saying is that IF someone fed him and IF someone gave him some TLC that he would look great. She is thereby saying I'm not feeding him or giving him TLC.

That is the difference. Some horses do lose weight but hopefully not because they are being straved by their owners.

Is it OK not to look after a horse properly just because you don't have a stable - that is what livery yards are for, is that an acceptable excuse for letting a poor horse suffer?

liveryblues

Visit site
Im afraid i agree, the horse was in her care wether she liked it or not. It sounds like she has had some difficulty selling him for quiet some time so why leave it till the horse is so poor before getting rid? She had no intention of keeping it anyway. If Kc knew she would not cope due to being fully commited to her own &amp; not having enough space then why keep him till now? Even without a stable a few extra buckets of feed would surely have kept weight on. As kc has kept him for whatever reason then responsibily lies with her for the welfare of the horse.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
You can feed them all you like, but if they aren't happy, they wont eat! I'm trying not to defend so much as give the benefit of the doubt on the horse's condition. Why is everyone obsessed with having them all borderline laminitics?

From the new thread, it seems the altruistic re-homing is turning into an effort to get some money back - and therefore another issue entirely.......

RLF

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree

Tia

Visit site
I don't know if this is really the case though Brighteyes. KC told us months ago that it was when the horse was in her care, he started to drop weight due to KC hardly having any grass in her field. This was back in the Summer. By Autumn time the horse was not in the best of shape from what KC told us back then. So it doesn't sound like this lack of muscle/weight is something new and that Benji has actually been losing weight and condition for a significant period of time.

myjack

Visit site
Please someone take this beautiful aminal in and give him the TLC he so desprately needs and deserves.

I could ask my YO, and I would take him in but I could only do so on a temp basis - but then he would still have to live out 24/7. So pretty pointless really.

My heart truely aches for this poor fella. Whoever takes him in I would love for you to keep us updated.

zigzag

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree also,