Ben's first show report - over the moon!

MasterBenedict

Visit site
Well, here is Mr Ben's very overdue first ever show report and to say that I am one proud mummy is a huge understatement :) sorry it's so long, homemade scones with lashings of cream and strawberry jam for anyone who gets all the way through ;)

Last weekend we went to the Newmarket In-Hand Charity Show at the Animal Health Trust. It was both mine and Ben's very first show, so needless to say I had many sleepless nights leading up to it thinking lots of 'what if's?!' I had never taken a horse to any show before, so to take a green 2 year old to a rather large show was a very daunting idea...

Bit of background info for anyone that hasn't seen Ben before -

2 year old 3/4 Appaloosa that I bought on a bit of a whim this time last year as a little project to keep me busy as I had no urge to ride but was missing my daily horsey fix.

Sales pics from before I bought him - (I still have no idea what possessed me to do a 10 hour round journey to go and see him in the middle of Wales, but I sure am glad I did!)

a887357ff133cedf97e6bdd915a63d96_zps040be22f.jpg

After weeks, if not months, of researching into what I should wear, what I would be expected to do and how Ben should be turned out I decided to take the plunge and sent off our entry. I have to say, this forum has been an absolute godsend and without it I dread to think how I would have found all the info I needed - so I think a big thank you is in order for anyone that has given showing advice on here, absolutely invaluable :) I even took inspiration from some fellow forum-goers and hand-made a browband for the special day -

b9a73a546316dd16584ebac322b9b59a_zps94378b93.jpg

So, along came show day and all my worries were completely unfounded, Ben was a complete superstar and didn't out a foot wrong all day. He loaded and travelled beautifully in a lorry for the first time on the hottest day of the year so far. He behaved impeccably and when the judges found out it was his first show experience they were very impressed with him :) nothing phased him - loose horses, naughty horses (including one little welsh stallion that actually mounted his owner in the ring!! dogs, children, stands, the list goes on)

Our first class was Horse and Handler Turnout in which we came a respectable 3rd out of a class of about 10. The judge was very complementary and had lots of useful and helpful comments on how everyone could improve.

4c6d177bf7f4c3d35f80936ba822dcfd_zps4a0137c0.jpg

The second class was Novice Horse which I really didn't think we stood a chance as he was up against some much larger, mature horses. Imagine my shock when the judge placed us 1st - my first ever red frilly, I could have cried with happiness!

Winning the Novice class -

e838b34e81f599ef6310b3357dce265a_zpsf92c3366.jpg

18c17a4893d32fea139f2ddc739f07e8_zpse2f7c6de.jpg

Next up we had to swop to a different ring for the 2 year old Horse and Pony class. This was a large class of approximately 15 horses/ponies. I was just so happy from how well behaved Ben was and the fact we had a red frilly that I was in dreamland and I took the judge calling me numerous times to realise that we had come 1st again and won the class! Another red frilly!!

f54e8e2e79d1573121a3dbf4f77f19ad_zps1de2b495.jpg

We then had a few hours break before our next class so time for a picnic and Ben fell asleep tied up to the lorry in the shade - obviously really bothered by all commotion going on around him.....So the next class we entered was Any Other Colour. I instantly regretted entering it when I saw the competition as although it was open to any other coloured horse than the usual colours, we were the only non-skewbald/piebald. The other horses were very mature, impeccably turned out and much larger than our megre 14.1hh very bum high stature...

Well guess what? The judge only went and placed us in blummin' 1st place!!!
A 3rd red frilly and a wonderful completion to the best day ever :)

Stood in line with the other coloureds -

997498fabde7f3be4848f290c8a44964_zps3a05ef14.jpg

Don't know where to put all the frillys! Thankfully I had 2 amazing helpers on the day :)

c721ad1089e7b1bee8f6cbd563bfbb4b_zps3af6ec35.jpg

Here is a pic of me getting a little teary and over-whelmed with emotion, which I very unlike me.

4e3f0da9c0830377b159f152543f9af1_zps8c25754f.jpg

And here is one last pic of Ben's goodys from the day - don't know where I'm going to put them all!

4935dac9ada67b0668a10a71b9ede02e_zps0a468820.jpg

I cannot recommend this show enough and encourage anyone interested to enter next year, I know I will be!

Here is a link to the professional pics gallery for anyone interested as I didn't get very good pictures myself. Hoping to load some more up once the ones I have ordered have arrived :) http://www.easternlightphotos.com/?ppwd=becky&pcol=131798202&Action=_VC&id=131798202

Thanks for getting this far, I'm now off out enjoy this glorious sunshine and feed Ben countless apples and polos for being my horse of a lifetime and an absolute superstar :)

Dreckly

Visit site
Becky, I have been waiting for this all week to see his piccies, and he really did you proud. Looks wonderful all dolled up very pleased for you both and a credit to your hard work. Well done and roll on next time!!

Tobiano

Visit site
WOW!!! That is amazing - well done both of you. You have obviously done lots with him to get him to be so well behaved, and you are both really beautifully turned out (love his tail plait). Congratulations - great to see such a happy story and you both look to deserve the hoard of ribbons! :)

sprytzer

Visit site
He is rather yummy, stunning markings, very well done, the start of many good things and a fantastic relationship to come me thinks.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Wow! That's quite a stash of ribbon. I don't know why you're surprised to have done so well, he's a very well put together youngster indeed, and the amazing colour really helps to make him stand out. Very well done (he does look so very poor in the first pictures, slopping in the mud. No wonder you bought him out of that mire).