Berkshire livery yards

Rana

Visit site
Does anyone know of any yards in West Berks/North Hampshire with vacancies for Assisted DIY or Part Livery?

Not looking for anything smart, but needs to be all year turnout with large-ish stables (12X12).

Biggest problem is turnout, as I have a mare who likes to be in charge! She needs to be out with 1 or 2 other quiet mares, or even a couple of quiet geldings (ie, ones who don't play).

Can anyone help? I'm at a loss at the moment - she's 26 now and can't cope with being kicked on a weekly basis!

Rana

Visit site
Thanks Bozzy.

We're in Mortimer at the moment, but I live near Reading.

Highclere's probably a bit too far to travel
frown.gif

Was thinking more north of Basingstoke, Eversley, Yateley etc.

Womblebird

New User
Visit site
Hi Rana,

I hear Simms is a very good yard and that is also in Mortimer. There is also somewhere in Tadley called Church Brook Farms which I am currently making enquiries about - its on the internet. The local tackshops (The Stable Door and B&J Dance feed merchants) also always have a selection of yards advertised. It sounds like you have a bit of a problem there with a dominant mare. Have you had to move a lot because of this problem? It would be unfair if you were having to move from a yard in which you were established because another mare has upset the applecart. Mind you as long as owners are honest problems can usually be avoided.

Would you be able to send me the spreadsheet of yards you were sent as I am looking in around the same area.

Rana

Visit site
Hi Womble, and welcome! Haven't tried the Stable Door yet, but B+J Dance have been fab. Can you PM me details for Simms?

The funny thing is, she's never been a problem! In 11 years of owning 2 or more horses and keeping them together, she only ever kicked one and got kicked once. I've only had her on livery for the past 9 months or so. First yard didn't feed her (!) so obviously had to move. 2nd yard she was kicked constantly til I threatened to leave, then they said she could go out with a young gelding who was also being kicked - no problems at all. Then I made the mistake of taking a job there and had to leave quickly (don't ask!!). So now on 3rd yard where she's been kicked within 3 days of being out (and kicked back too!). YO is being fab though, and I think we've finally got it sorted.

So panic is over for the time being, but I'd still like details for other yards in case the problem arises again.

Maria - thanks for the spreadsheet, have replied to your email.

Womblebird

New User
Visit site
Well thats good news about the yard owner. What yard are you at? I was previously at a Mortimer yard (the yard shall remain un-named but the 'big one' in Mortimer - although there are several in the village) which is a nightmare. I left the main Mortimer yard a few years ago as have most people there. The owners seem lovely when you arrive but you soon see their true colours. It has a massively high turnover although I know a few people have been there for 4 or 5 years and one horse about 13 (I think - i've lost count) other than that its always chopping and changing. That in turn causes loads of problems because just as a field gets settled one horse leaves and another comes in and in some cases the problems mean there isn't even time for settling in! I was there about 18 months and the fields were always so unsettled and with various other problems I moved yards for more stability for my baby.

Hope you horse wasn't too badly hurt. Are they both ok? Has she now moved field? Its so important - particularly with mares - that YO's ensure that new horses can be accommodated and that 2 dominant horses are not put in together. It would prevent all these problems in the first place.

Rana

Visit site
Womblebird - I've PM'd you re. the yard I'm at.

Both horses now recovered and separated! Mares are so difficult to organise turnout with. 2 dominant mares are almost as bad as 2 stallions together. Unfortunately, having an old horse, people tend to assume she'll just back down. She definitely won't!!

And tonight she's come in with yet another cut, despite being turned out on her own, with hay, and not even next to another horse. Honestly!

Rana

Visit site
Thanks Womblebird.

Oh I don't know. Blood everywhere. She does get herself into some scrapes. I think she's given herself a kick this time (not the first time for her!) and taken a slice out of the inside of her leg. How does she manage it??

akb

New User
Visit site
Hi Madasmaz, i live in silchester and also looking for diy/diy assisted with a good school- for my 13year old daughter- currently in Mortimer west end- great for hacking but the school is dangerous!!! Need somewhere both of us can get to but have had no luck so far..........if you have personal experinece of area too then that is great?
I am new at this and not sure how to send you my e-mail????

tammyemma2202

New User
Visit site
Whereabouts are you in Mortimer? I've been trying to find a livery yard around there for a while, but none have websites and the larger yards seem to all be full or too expensive.

sadiedeb

Visit site
If anyone has got a list of livery yards in the area any chance of a copy please so I can send them info of the next tack sale in Tadley - sorry can't help with yards as lucky enough to rent some land for my boys to live out in

Bumble1

Visit site
Hi there, just been looking through the old posts and wondering if you could help me out here. I have to leave my beloved yard north of Oxford as I'll be moving to the south of Reading (Bramley) in September. Now I was thinking of taking my 4 yr old gelding to one of the yards around Mortimer but after reading all the comments on the yards around Mortimer I'm now a bit scared to find a good one! Any chance that one of you could point me in the right direction? I'm not looking for anything posh, diy with good 24/7 turnout (also in winter), my gelding really gets along with all other horses, a small school and ideally good hacking.

Any suggestions? Thanks ever so much for your help!!!!!!!:eek:

Rana

Visit site
I was at Wheats Farm. Once we'd sorted out the turnout issues, it was fantastic. Wouldn't hesitate to go back there. Only left as my mare needed individual turnout during her twilight years (she kept getting into scraps!).

They do 24/7 turnout during the summer, and daily turnout during winter. They also have limited grass livery spaces. Mares and geldings are separated. It's friendly, calm without being "dead", really nice atmosphere. Experienced YO's. 40x20ish school, recently resurfaced. Hay and straw available from YO, also offer all part-livery services on a day-by-day basis. School is lit, stables are a good size, and it's approx 15 mins of quiet roads to get over to the Starvale Woods and Englefield Estate (permit needed but there are some public bridleways). It's not expensive either!

Hope this helps :)

Bumble1

Visit site
Thanks Rana, that was the place I was thinking of and I will give them a ring asap:) It sounds exactly like what I was looking for, especially if they might have some grass livery where my still growing youngster can live out over the winter:D