Best 100g Turnout for 12.2 Pony

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Cosmo appears to have a huge tear in his rug (I presume naughty Noah nipped him on the bottom!).

I am looking for something around 100g mark as he already has a no fill and a warmer rug. The problem is that no rug ever seems to fit him well... the 3 he has at the moment are all 4'9":

- Derby House no fill sits a bit low over his shoulders but is OK
- cheapo Fast Tack Direct 100g (now ripped!) is like a mini-skirt on him and not long enough but also bit big around the shoulders.
- warmer Requisite turnout (which has a high nick) is a bit like a dress!

He is around 12.1/12.2 and is 19, having been retired for ages. Quite fine around the shoulders and has a scrawny neck but got a bit of a barrel belly (Cushingsy). Does anyone have a 100g turnout which fits their fine pony well?

Here is a pic from summer to give you an idea. Belly is more rounded now:

30789_10150196451255203_508425202_12453547_2996140_n.jpg

Any help much appreciated! :)

ourlittleponies

New User
Visit site
Hi. I'm a real fan of Horseware rugs, our 11.2 section A has loads and would really recommend the Rhino Wug as it sits further up the neck, doesn't rub and fits really well. They come in summer weight (no fill), medium weight (200g) and, I think, a heavy weight. I don't know of any new zealands of 100g weight though. I also use the Amigo range from Horseware as spares (they are a bit cheaper) and they come in the classic neck design. I find that Horseware rugs come up a little on the small size and our 11.2 takes a 4' 9" so I would think your pony may be a 5'. Happy rug hunting!!

Last edited:

Beatrice5

Visit site
I have an outgrown 5ft Bucas smartex that my filly wore for all of 3 months looking for a good home...... Don't know the weight but it's got a small fill but not much and a fleece lining. We used it on Olivers 12.2hh Loan pony before she went back and she looked a bit like your chap as she was 22yrs and had had foals so the big belly thing going on.

Just a thought.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was considering a Weatherbeeta Freestyle Landa Lite as I have one for my horse and love it, just wasn't sure how the fit would come up on Cosmo.

Beatrice5, if you think the rug is somewhere around 100g mark then how much would you want for it? The weight doesn't matter exactly, as long as it has some filling and isn't too warm as already have one somewhere around 200g or more so just want something in between that and a no fill. He didn't wear a rug at all until a few years ago but now he struggles to keep weight on.