Best 3.5t horsebox to carry 16.2 dutch warmblood?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
My friend had a 16.2h TB in a 3.5 box, and when it went lame borrowed my 16h ISH for a team competition, she travelled awfully in it, and it didn't look strong enough or that the weight was distributed well in it. Could have just been that box, but I think 3.5t boxes are for ponies really..

Sorry that that was so negative! Just my opinion (and mechanic hubby's).

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Could have just been that box, but I think 3.5t boxes are for ponies really..
Have to disagree with that. :p
Mine is certainly big enough and strong enough to carry a full size horse.
Only thing I would do if carrying one regularly would be to add a second partition so horse could travel in centre of lorry with partition either side.

OP - cant help on best make as mine is a home conversion.

lagartijamick

Visit site
"Best 3.5t horsebox to carry 16.2 dutch warmblood"

If its only for one horse then a Marlborough Hunter.
We carry a 16"3 horse in ours.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
For one horse a 3.5T is fine if the horse is happy in it.

Make sure you travel the horse on the RHS if there is only one and there are forward facing stalls (ensures their weight doesnt act against the vehicle as it tries to do corners and is better for road camber/slope).

Also make sure it has enough headroom which probably means one of the Renault Master type ones with a low ramp - they are front wheel drive so the body can be slower slung as no gubbins underneath going to the back wheel axle. This normally gives more ability for headroom.

Newlands

Visit site
I have a Foxy Twin and only travel one. We have taken the partition out and my horse makes himself comfortable and travels very well.

Misog2000

Visit site
I love mine, my girly is only 15.2 though but she has plenty of room. Occasionally carry a second lightweight horse (to lessons etc so carrying minimal gear) and it drives fine. Mine is a van conversion though not coachbuilt so I have a bit more payload to play with (1.25t, this has been weighbridged and checked and is accurate give or take a few kilos). My horse likes travelling backwards which is why I bought it, she doesn't really move at all whereas forward facing she falls all over the place. My friend has a Chaigly (sp?) Duo which she travels her big horse in and she is very happy with that, not sure where you are based though, think they are south east way x

EstherYoung

Visit site
We've got a renault master van style one and I don't think I'd want anything too big in it. We've got arabs and ponies.

See if you can try your horse on some different styles and then you'll see a) if he's happy and b) if he fits.

Warmblood39

Visit site
Morning EstherYoung:- My horse is a very good traveller . . . That is a great idea about trying him in the lorries . . . However I don't know anyone that has a van conversion lorry :(

Emma S

Visit site
I have a VW LT35 and it very easily carries my 17hh TB, and would have room for another up to 15.2hh.. this would put it overweight so more of a comment on space!! :)

Emma S

Visit site
Morning Emma S:- I was looking at the VWLT35 however heard the payload isn't as big as the van conversions . . . How do you find it with a 17hh ? :D

Mine is fine - my boy weighs approx 650-700 (he's all legs but has had a bit of a holiday and tubby atm!) and my box weighs approx 2700kg with all my tack and crap on board .. I think it's a bit less but I always tell myself that to be careful :)

barnbrookaa

Visit site
I have a Renult master really old.... chassis and box on the back..... it has travelled up to 17hh of horse in it with its previous owner. only carries ponies now but plenty of room.

Mynstrel

Visit site
Our 16.2 dwb loves our renault master, travels really well in ours (backwards facing). We had on in forwards facing once (don't ask) & found that he affected the van for cornering etc far more than when they're facing the "right" way.

We have a tb & an irish draft who also travel in it well too,

It's a van conversion rather than a manufactured one or a box type & we're really happy with it, feels really stable, pulls well even with the heaviest of ours in it & best of all it runs practically on fresh air!

OWLIE185

Visit site
As far as 3.5 Ton van type vehicles go the Renault Master has the lowest center of gravity. You need one built on a chassis pan cab in other words a vehicle where only the cab and chassis are supplied and then have the container built on seperately. This will give you a stronger vehicle and also the height.

Many racing yards/horse trainers use van type horseboxes although some of them
actually are 6.5/7.0 ton chassis pan cabs.

A truck chassis such as a 7.5 ton will always be stronger and give a better ride as the wheels are further appart and therr will be less side to side swaying of the vehicle.

jessjc

Chaddleworth, Berkshire (Wantage/Newbury)
Visit site
I have an Iveco Daily - I was worried about the payload, but had it weighed at a weighbridge and there was plenty left for my 16.1hh boy. there is so much room it's unbelievable - both in width and in height. It drives like a car and is pretty economical too.

Also, I found out that you only have to make minor adjustments to uprate it to a 4.2T should I want to take a second horse, but I think if I got to this stage, I might as well trade it in for a 7.5T.

Good luck!

L&M

Visit site
I wouldn't put a 16.2hh in a van conversion. The RM van conversions are designed to take up to 16.1hh (same dimensions as a standard ifor williams trailer), although weight wise mine has a payload of 1200kg so that side would be fine. The roofs are also slightly curved in, which again can affect the headroom, and the biggest horse I have felt comfortable carrying was 15.3hh.

The coachbuilt RM may have better headroom, but imagine will be more expensive. I had a old coachbuilt Mark 1 RM before I upgraded to the newer van, and had internal dimensions that could take up to 17hh.

Sessle

Visit site
My VW LT35 weighs 2600kg with two people and a full tank of fuel in it, can fit my 15.3hh middleweight in nicely, I do think they appear small inside though, when I got it I was unsure I'd fit them in, but my 16.2hh TB's also been in it and he has plenty of room!