Best actually waterproof no fill turnout?

Cheiro1

Visit site
So after a disaster with a Premier Equine no fill which has had to go back due to leaking like a sieve, I am on the hunt for a no fill which actually does it's job.

What do you guys use, and are they actually waterproof? :)

I would prefer one with a detachable neck but it could be a combo if needed!

Fiona

Visit site
Oh dear we've just bought one for our pony :( Normally the PE rugs are excellent though have only had the ballistic nylon medium and heavy ones...

Pony had an amigo rug before which was waterproof but he tore it into two bits after 18 months so we needed a replacement. ..

Fiona

Last edited:

Cheiro1

Visit site
I think mine was just a faulty one, got loads on the yard in them and they are fine, unfortunately they don't have another in my girls size and wont manufacture any more until January apparently so can't replace :(

Oscar

Visit site
The higher the denier the more waterproof it's likely to be. I have mine in Weatherbeeta, Bucas, Amigo & Swish and no leaks so far, but I do spray all mine with a water repellent as well just to be sure!!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I've also had a leaky new LW PE. :(

Rhino, Rambo and the 1200d Amigos are great. I've also got a 1200d Shires and a Bucas Smartex Rain (has the stay dry lining) that are waterproof in downpours.

marmalade88

Visit site
I have weatherbeetas and they've been great. I have a no fill which he's always been dry under as well as a medium weight which he lived in all winter and was dry. Washed them both and they're like new again, very pleased.

Geek

Visit site
I tend to find that even the 1600d no fills aren't really downpour proof and the horses always end up a bit damp under them, I wonder if it's something to do with needing a bit of filling between the damp outside of the rug and the horse. Having said that I have found weatherbeetas on the whole to be very good, the Shires tempest did it's job but really isn't very breathable which I don't like in the hotter weather, the mio has done ok but the horse was definitely damp after downpours, my PE 100g is in to its 7th year and has suffered more than it's fair share of abuse and is still going strong and the horse was absolutely dry underneath it even in gales. I have to admit for now using Derby House rugs as at £20 they do as well as any of the others and when the horses shred them I don't mind as much!

Sophiecollins11

Visit site
I swear by weather beeta, have heavy weights, medium weights, stable rugs and fleeces and are the only rug my boy has never broken or pulled the straps off! I brought s new lite weight this year and has kept him so dry I wish I had brought sooner :) I reproof mine every year too :D

Cheiro1

Visit site
Thanks guys, off to do some looking around at rugs I think :D

Unfortunately Weatherbeeta don't fit my horse at all well, she's a chunky little thing and they are always too tight.

Off to look at the shires and the amigo, amigo might be a good shout as they do the XL ones for chunky horses. Will look at the Bucas too :)

Sophiecollins11

Visit site
I'm the opposite :) wetaherbeeta U.S. the only brand I have found to fit my traditional cob, I found amigo rubbed his mane too! Traditional problems ��

Scarlett

Visit site
Swish rugs all the way. Mine are totally waterproof in the heaviest of rain, a great fit, super tough and excellent quality. They have the rainsheets on offer at the moment too, just remember they come up big.

Llee94

Visit site
Mark Todd rugs fit my cob x mare the best and they never leak. I will always buy one if I can afford it over cheaper rugs. However, I have got a few Shires Tempest rugs as well and they have never leaked and fit well.

lindsayH

Visit site
I agree with Geek, I'm yet to find a no fill that doesn't leak. My Weatherbeeter and Horseware both leaked in heavy or persistent rain. I now buy the lowest fill I can find, 100g - 150g which seems to work better. Let us know if you find the holy grail!

PolarSkye

Visit site
Another one with a leaky PE no fill, mine went back too. We now have Amigo Mio turnouts, they are about a 1/3rd of the price too!

Another vote for Amigo Mio - as long as you reproof relatively regularly (mine are done about once a year when they go to be cleaned and repaired) they are waterproof.

P

philamena

Visit site
Swish rugs all the way. Mine are totally waterproof in the heaviest of rain, a great fit, super tough and excellent quality. They have the rainsheets on offer at the moment too, just remember they come up big.

I found the swishes to be waterproof but odd shapes - they weren't deep enough round the barrell for my warmblood and came up small! Why buying rugs is a nightmare :)