Best advice ever?

MrVelvet

Visit site
Ooh I like this thread :) mine are:
Sit on your bottom!!
Don't worry about the front end until you have the back end moving!
Then when you have the back end moving don't let all the energy escape through the front door!

EimerR

Visit site
Not the best piece of advice but sure is handy :)

When you're washing your horse or dog and you dont and to get drowned when they shake, hold their ear when the about to shake (like dont grab most of the time if you just put your hand on it it works perfectly) haven't got soaked since I learned it :)

npage123

Visit site
Once you've done your riding and have jumped off - loosten the girth by quite a few holes so that your horse can breathe more easily. Also, once you've taken the saddle off, give him a good rub/message on the saddle area.

Marydoll

Visit site
Dressage, Practice makes perfect ....... Repetition, repetition, repetition. :D
First xc .. Look up, sit up and kick on, and it worked, we got placed ;)
Sj, look where you want to go, get your turn and your line right then allow the horse to do his job.

Penumbra

Visit site
Remembering to breath is always a good one, especially if the horse is worried, as it makes you more tense.

Also to look at the horizon when going over fences (outdoors, obviously).

dafthoss

Visit site
For jumping, the canter is your responsibility the jump is his, when I'm having a wobble about not being good enough for him I remind my self the jump is his job I just have to stay with him over it and get him there in a way that he can jump it. On a similar note, let him own the fence, give him the confidence to take it on.

Flat work hasnt really got any stand out advice :eek:

Saucisson

Visit site
'

And the other little gem from kung fu, also applicable with horses is:

'And breathe.'

;)

I agree! I did martial arts and had the same problem/advice :D I tend to hold my breathe when I'm learning something but it just makes you tense up!

My horse will do a fab halt if I just sit up and breathe out. (I'm lucky to have a good boy). :p

TrasaM

Visit site
I agree! I did martial arts and had the same problem/advice :D I tend to hold my breathe when I'm learning something but it just makes you tense up!

My horse will do a fab halt if I just sit up and breathe out. (I'm lucky to have a good boy). :p

Same here..also a firm believer in the breath out method.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Look at your belly button for a rein back.... I will never forget that pearl! I have now got it so that I just use the muscles so it doesn't look like I am looking down but that was a cracker for me!

TrasaM

Visit site
TrasaM, from your location, it sounds like we may have had the same instructor at one time! :) Very familiar mantras :cool:

:( the one about training every time you ride is really important but sometimes I give way to little whims like recently teaching my friend's cob that gallop is ok. She's not happy with me::eek:

TrasaM

Visit site
Look at your belly button for a rein back.... I will never forget that pearl! I have now got it so that I just use the muscles so it doesn't look like I am looking down but that was a cracker for me!

Does this work? My best rein backs were all done by accident and I couldn't figure out what it was I did to get the response but I've a funny feeling that I was checking reins and saddle position and therefore looking down .. You may have solved a problem for me. .??

Achinghips

Visit site

LIGHTBULB moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is why he does it when I don't ask for it sometimes - that is exactly what I've been inadvertently doing, - massive thanks!!!!!!!!!;)

TrasaM

Visit site
LIGHTBULB moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is why he does it when I don't ask for it sometimes - that is exactly what I've been inadvertently doing, - massive thanks!!!!!!!!!;)

Hurray ..I'm not alone in the mystery recurring unsolicited rein back !!!! Prize for Tallyho.. :D

Achinghips

Visit site
Hurray ..I'm not alone in the mystery recurring unsolicited rein back !!!! Prize for Tallyho.. :D

You certainly aren't;). It's usually accompanied by a confused voice saying "I'm not asking for this" and a perturbed shrug as your surroundings whiz past you backwards on either side :D:D

Natch

Visit site
Find the softness in you to discover the softness in your horse, and 'just pretend he's a grand prix dressage horse who already knows how to do it' (walk/canter trans, it worked so very well!)