Best and worst thing about your horse

Deltaflyer

Visit site
The best thing about my lovely Samuel is everything. He's my perfect horse.

The worst thing - trying to keep the flab at bay as he lives on fresh air but also lives to eat.

The second worst thing is that he's white with lovely dapple grey patches and I just know they're fading and he's going to end up completely white in a few years time :(

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine is fundamentally very, very kind. Hes never EVER deliberately dropped a rider even when his back has been sore or his saddle isnt right. Hes an all-round good guy :) Hes also absolutely awesome to have around. Hes a happy little pony, always ears pricked and happy to see people and be messed with. He has a huge sense of humour and is very ponyesque which is incredibly amusing and charming to deal with. He also has the loveliest and most soulful eyes I have ever seen on a horse.

Downsides are hes an incredibly good doer, so I spend my time trying to make sure he has constant access to forage without ballooning. The cob is not nice to be around when hes hangry!! Hes also phenomenally strong and doesnt appear to feel pain like a normal horse, and no amount of groundwork/training will get him to understand that people are just puny humans and it hurts if you headbutt them or knock them down! That makes him sound awful, and hes not, but it is a constant reoccurring theme with him! Theres no malice and hes generally very good, but sometimes he just genuinely forgets that people arent big stonking cobs!

Oh, and referring back to the ponyesque ness of him, hes is into EVERYTHING! On the whole its very charming but just sometimes I would like him to stand up straight for the saddle fitter and not contort himself trying to see into her box of saddle fitting stuff. Its nothing to do with him, but a box situated near him that a realtive stranger keeps dipping into is just too much for his little cobby brain to deal with :lol:

Equi

Visit site
Gee ill have to list them.

Jed (17hh ridden) - best, hes very well schooled. He knows exactly what to do and is forward and responsive and has taught me loads. He will NOT do anything he thinks you are not ready for. worst - he can be a bit stressy (mum was a red tb) so prone to having a "tb" day.

Thriller (30" gelding) - best, hes very smart. VERY smart. Too smart. This is also his worst. He needs stimulated, by training and work. He can not just be a field mower or he gets into trouble. He will wind everyone up and get a whollop unless he is worked.

Banner (31" stallion) - best, he is a total babe. Hes been very well trained and very respectful despite being a stallion. hes very affectionate and a cracker at driving. Worst, very much struggle to find something!?

Goldie (32" brood) - best, she was my first mini so is just special anyway. But shes very cuddly, took to driving and a rider with little to no breaking just does it, and is so cute and chartacterful. Worst, she is a buggar to catch when shes not in season, so basically all winter and half the summer. I love when shes in season!!!!!

Charm (34" brood whos preggo) - best, shes stunning and very business like. she also took to driving really well. very smart girl. Worst, shes not very people centered. Humans are not important to her at all, interaction is very cold and despite loving her because of her talent and looks/conformation/showing ability, shes not one i have bonded with greatly. Shes a bit...bland....

only_me

Visit site
The best thing = he's a gentleman :)

The worst thing = he's too much of a gentleman to defend himself against a shitland :( he's 17h and shitland is 36". Billy had 30+ stitches and there's not a scratch on the shitland 😡

Mrs G

Visit site
Best thing? When he's good he makes all well in my world. Worst thing? When he's bad he puts me in hospital... (to be fair he hasn't been that bad for a while.. Oh hang on, have I just jinxed things? $%!#...)

Mrs G

Visit site
The best thing = he's a gentleman :)

The worst thing = he's too much of a gentleman to defend himself against a shitland :( he's 17h and shitland is 36". Billy had 30+ stitches and there's not a scratch on the shitland ��
Poor Billy! X

Mahoganybay

Visit site
Best thing - he is so handsome to look at, and he knows it.

Worst thing - he is a 16.2hh built like a tank naughty ****.

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
The worlds most willing/accepting/chilled 5 year old. Doesn't care about anything other than pleasing me and will have snuggles all day long.

He is grey and seems to love lying in his own poop!

RubysGold

Visit site
Jimmy the cob, best thing is he so wants to please. He will try his hardest to get things right and he's so honest and safe but fun at the same time
Worst thing, when leading he walks practically on my heels and is clumsy, often steps on me, he also nips but with no teeth. He will just put his lips round your arm or wherever while you walk him which can be annoying!!

Roo best thing is she is just amazing, so gentle and we have the strongest bond, we can get through anything together.
Worst thing is that she has laminitis and she takes a lot of management because of an old leg injury

little_critter

Visit site
Best things (I have a little list!)
Very intelligent
Independent
Bombproof
Honest jumper (no dirty stops or run outs)

Worst things
Lives on fresh air so I feel really mean at the moment as she is in a pretty bare paddock (and still carrying a smidge more weight than I'd like)

Pulling to grass. I have been very strict on this for years now but she is still determined to snatch at hedges and verges. I've come to the conclusion it is something I cannot train out of her, I'll just have to keep trying to stop her.

HashRouge

Visit site
I find it very difficult to identify only one best thing because I love my old mare so much. Probably that we have a very intuitive bond - I've owned her for nearly 15 years, and I feel like we know each other inside out. Also, she's retired now but she was the most fun horse to hack I've ever come across. Fast and lively but never dangerous, I still miss riding her!

Worst thing is definitely that she's a kicker. In fact, it's probably her only fault, though I know some people would consider it an enormous one!

LeannePip

Visit site
Best Thing; She's incredibly sweet natured and tries so hard to do what your asking, but this leads directly on to the Worst Thing; Sometimes she tries too hard and gets her self all in a tis and a bit stressy which makes her quite sharp, when generally she's very calm and pliable! She's also the most disgusting horse in the stable, and then she lies in it!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Tatts best thing ,he's so gentle .Worse thing,he really is a little nuts .
Fatty best , he just wonderful at his job ( gentleman hunter ) worse his metabolism he's a not called fatty for nothing .
H best great hunter ,worse that terrible bronc thankfully he's not done it in years .
J best J's just lovely worse his feet and his attitude to jumping competitions .
C best his jump worse his nipping .

_OC_

Visit site
Best he is loveable and a lot of people think he is very impressive to look at and when ridden.......worst is his ability when lead to squeal like a pig.....throw himself into the air and try and tank....this happens every few months......very random!

PS-Confuses me!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Best: His character, he is such a people person and will often rest his head on my shoulder and breathe into my ear. Yet in the field he becomes a massive tart and gallops around squealing, throwing himself in the air and genuinely looks like he is having the best time of his life. He's just so happy, I've never seen him put his ears back.

Worst: He will NOT concentrate in the school. I can get lovely work for half the school but then when he get to the end of the school here his fields are (the horses had all been caught in >3 hours ago), its giraffe, pony steps and just looking off into the distance.

AmieeT

Visit site
The best? Almost everything. I trust him with my life.

The bad? Not really anything to complain about- can be a stubborn git but I'd say the worst was his sweet itch, and his lack of respect for sweet itch rugs! (Cost a fortune and I swear his favourite game is destroying them).

Supertrooper

Visit site
Best: firstly I'm so proud of him, he was an unhandled stallion until he was rescued at six yrs old by WHW, he was very difficult and that he is now so chilled makes me very proud of his and our journey together. We have a really good bond and I knew very soon after getting him that he will be my pony of a lifetime.

Worst: he isn't easy in winter, I think coming for a place where food was in short supply has made him a bit panicky if he gets hungry but this winter was easier discovering simple systems foods and oat straw chaff. Also the constant worry of how to keep his weight down when he can't be exercised, paranoid pony owner :)

rachk89

Visit site
Best things: he is a wonderful mover and has a fantastic temperament. Honest jumper and would never hurt you deliberately even when he is sore.

Worst things: his ground manners are appalling at times and he won't change no matter how much you train him. He won't be clipped without sedation either.

Sorry couldn't list just one for either.

millikins

Visit site
M is herd leader, keeps all in check with no more than pulling a face. Can be relied on 100% in a crisis, once faced off an entire herd of bullocks who were chasing the dog. Worst is she is an unreliable jumper who can put in a filthy stop.
D is quirky, talented, jumps anything and a great fun hack. Worst is he will NOT do a dressage test even though he is schooled, once achieved the lowest score out of about 100 at a pony club ODE.
T is just wonderful, pretty, clever, lovely driving pony, travelling companion, never any bother, worst is she is only 10.3 so I can't ride her.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Best: He's an extremely intelligent, loving and playful horse with such a quirky character - I grin all the time while I'm with him. Honest jumper.

Worst: Due to conformation not the best mover and extremely hard to get off the forehand.

Lintel

Visit site
He loves a cuddle anytime, anywhere.

He lacks motivation to do anything at a reasonable speed.

That being said I wouldn't change him, it makes him more amusing!

Whizza

Visit site
I've only had Gabby 2 months but so far the best thing is she looks after me, she's never stupid or stressy and she makes me feel safe. She has bought my confidence on no end in just 2 short months. I truly do adore her. The more we do together the better she is. :)

The worst is that she's a pig! She's ridden bitless and given the chance is always snatching at grass and hedges when we are out, I have to be one step ahead of her constantly! She can be mareish too but Ostress seems to have helped with that so far.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
He's an absolute delight to be with, a truly kind horse who even when worried will do his best for me.

The worst will be with us forever - the aftermath of toxic laminitis, constantly looking at his size, intake of grass etc. He's currently muzzled when with the rest of the herd, for about 14 hours a day he's in a gravelly yard with a pick of grass, hay, shelter from flies etc because the farrier was slightly concerned on Wednesday, and I thought he was footy last Monday. Poor lad.

chahala

Visit site
Talented and Lazy. Loyal but Sneaky. Handsome, Greedy and takes no prisoners. He's Spanish by the way ......!