Best Arena Surface for General Purpose

FoalLover

Visit site
Just completing our ground works and I am overwhelmed by surface options. I like jumping and should do more flat work. There are lots of trees around and it rains a lot where we are. Not that cold and rarely snows. The fields get boggy in the winter so needs to be good then. Advice please.....

Max123

Visit site
The quality of the drainage will determine whether water will lie on it rather than the surface type. I think sand and fibre is best for general purpose although it will freeze when frosty.

soloequestrian

Visit site
I have sharp sand and carpet fibre, with very good drainage. It was relatively inexpensive and I love it. I don't jump, but if I did I would add more fibre - the more you add, the firmer the surface gets. Very easy to top up.

case895

Visit site
Drainage and maintenance are important factors. A poorly maintained good quality surface will not ride well. I gave up harrowing with a small vehicle and switched to my tractor as it had the power to really get into it. Also I have to grade it level periodically as it does move around with the wind in the summer. Painstaking precision operation selectively scrapping and moving sand, but had an amazing effect on the surface.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Once you have good drainage I like sand and rubber. The rubber protects against frost. It is not best for jumping much over 1.05, as it moves a bit, but as a general, easy to maintain surface it is great.

I have a very bad experience with a posh oiled/greased surface that would keep plain sand/rubber now.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The drainage is the key to sucess of a surface in bad weather .
Mine has a rubber and silica sand with some fibre added later , I would say the fibre is mainly gone now and we will add some carpet fibre this summer if we get time .
The aviablity of round bales of carpet fibre has made this much easier than it used to be .