Best back warmer for pre-exercise

J_sarahd

Visit site
I’m looking for people’s recommendations and opinions on back warmers that I can use for Nova before I exercise her.

So far, my list is:
Equilibrium massage pad (with heatsense - is it worth the extra £££? Plus I will probably look at secondhand for this as so spenny!)
Epiony heat pad
Back on track back warmer

Obviously I can use a hot water bottle but I want to warm up her whole back and not just where her KS is. Ideally want something I can whack on her and leave to go do jobs.

Any recommendations/opinions/other products I can use?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Old style equilibrium massage pads are great. Not tried the new and very spendy 😳 heatsense version. ETA the XL massage pad is well worth it over the standard size if the horse is in 6’6” rugs or over.

Back on track mesh rug is my go to, don’t have the back warmer as such.

I can pop the back on track rug over the equilibrium massage pad.

Last edited:

marmalade76

Visit site
I put the saddle on first, even when using a martingale then have a fag, change my boots, etc, by the time I get on, it should be nice and warm. If it's cold and the sun's out I hang my numnah in the sun for a bit. I use sheepskin or wool lined numnahs which are warmer than cotton.

J_sarahd

Visit site
I put the saddle on first, even when using a martingale then have a fag, change my boots, etc, by the time I get on, it should be nice and warm. If it's cold and the sun's out I hang my numnah in the sun for a bit. I use sheepskin or wool lined numnahs which are warmer than cotton.
Sadly, I’ve worked out that she objects to having the saddle on until her muscles are warmed up and cause I won’t pull her in and immediately tack up because of ulcer maintenance, I need to find something to help

AandK

Visit site
I have recently bought the back on track back warmer for my horse, he’s going the best he ever has but has also had saddle adjustment and physio/osteo recently too so a combo effect me thinks!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Ooh that’s pretty cool! I would have to ask the YO but we have a very high ceiling

You could attach them to a laundry rack on a pulley and pull them back up or off the way when not in use. I only used that stable for tacking up and feeding, so they were permanent but they were on long chains. They stopped his "cold back" wriggle on mounting for an entire winter after I first realised he had some issues.

Last edited:

nutjob

Visit site
I've got the equilibrium massage pad, its thick and it warms the back up while its massaging even without the heat option. I also recommend the xl, mines large but could be bigger for my horse which is in 6'9" rugs, I got it for a smaller horse initially.

SEL

Visit site
The equilibrium massage pad gets warm underneath during the 45 minute setting so don't bother with the heated one. My kissing spine pony loves it - but only on the low setting.

Epiony heat pads are very useful but you could get an old fleece rug, sew a pouch on and pop a warm hot water bottle in.

I've got a few back on track items and I think one of their saddle pads (or catago do a ceramic one I think) after heating the back up is helpful. I've got a human back warmer and they definitely make a difference but I do find the horse stuff comes up small (thoroughbred skinny rather than my chunky mob!).

paddi22

Visit site
i use the back on track back warmer, and cover it with the Kramer ceramic 'back on track copy' fleece rug, its a lovely rug and MUCh cheaper than the back on track ones. the back on track warmer has velcro that sticks to it. so it means I can pop the warmer and rug on when feeding and it doesn't slip off.

Last edited:

ThreeFurs

Visit site
Another vote for Equilbrium. Mine must be 10 years old now, still works. But I did have to replace the battery unit. My now retired wb used to enjoy the 'high' setting, with its 20 minute cycle. Enough time to do necessary stuff before riding. Bonus points for being able to bring it home, put it on the couch and do my own back. :)

magicmoments

Visit site
I know this will seem strange to many, but hey ho. Just over rug for 1/2 hour, or what ever works with numnah/saddle pad directly next to back so that is warming up too. That's providing you have plenty of rugs obviously. That way all of her muscles are warm before you start

foxy1

Visit site
I agree with the comment above about the standard equilibrium massage pad warming up the back- the increased circulation plus the actual pad warms the back up if used properly. There was a study that indicated that these pads also increase stride length if used regularly. I really rate mine and wouldn't be without it.

HopOnTrot

Visit site
I use a hot water bottle, I made it a little harness out of duck tape and it stays on with an elastic roller. I fill it with hot and top off with cold so it’s not too hot. One hot water bottle covers the 4x processes mine had snipped.