Best balencers

zoelouisem

Visit site
Which balencers do you use and why?
Particularly interested for people with horses regularly competing and not great with keeping weight on.
Thanks 😊

ellie_e

Visit site
I use Topspec lite/cool balancer, have done for ages with my old boy, and recently started my young horse on it. They both get Dengie Alfa mollases free, Saracen Releve and 500g of balancer every day, one is a 5yr old warmblood whos mainly sj's, and the other is 20yr old ISH who does all riding club shows and events to 90 still. The 5yr old has gone abit picky with feed recently so started her on the balancer so I know shes at least getting all vitamins she needs.

Shay

Visit site
Confused.... Why would you use a balancer for a horse not good at keeping weight on? You only need to feed to manufacturer spec to get all the vits & mins. You don't need a balancer on top of that. Unless you are feeding straights?

eggs

Visit site
I thought that balancers were mainly for horses that were not fed the recommended amounts of hard feed in order to ensure that they got all the vits and mins they need although to be honest I'm not sure if it isn't just clever marketing ploy.

I would look at something other than a balancer for weight gain.

zoelouisem

Visit site
She can't have the normal mixes conditioning cubes ect as she gets swollen legs and sharp so she's feed a main fibre diet then a balancer on top. I know a balancer isn't going to put weight on her but will make sure she's getting everything she should be.

EventerMum

Visit site
I've fed chop, beet and balancer for years - variations on that theme according to the horses needs. Gain Feeds Opticare is amazing, all the horses we've had on it look amazing.

zoelouisem

Visit site
I've fed chop, beet and balancer for years - variations on that theme according to the horses needs. Gain Feeds Opticare is amazing, all the horses we've had on it look amazing.

Yes that's what I have her on safe and sound sugar beet. Currently on Dodson and horrel untimate balancer but having done a bit of research it's a more expensive one with not the greatest ingredients. Someone else I know recommend the gain opticare one too.

Achinghips

Visit site
I use top spec cool balancer and for those who don t keep weight, just add micronised linseed and up the haylage.

silv

Visit site
I only used to feed a balancer with beet and chop but recently bought a new horse who is also not such a good doer. Was keen to carry on with the balancer and spoke with the feed company.
I now feed the balancer NRM (prob not available in the UK) but they told me to also feed Equi Jewel, (available in UK) as this would keep weight on and not upset the feed balance. I must say she is looking fabulous on it and her coat is amazing.

CrazyMare

Visit site
I use Topspec Comprehensive balancer with dried grass chaff and beet. Some of mine aren't the best at holding weight but this seems to work well.

Coats and feet are brilliant.

My guys hunt and low level event on that combination.

TPO

Visit site
Balancers from Forage Plus, Progressive Earth or Equivita - all the "good stuff" and no fillers like alfa/wheatfeed etc

I feed micronised linseed and Coolstance for condition along with grass nuts and a plain grass chop (with FP balancer)

Lulup

Visit site
I use Baileys Stud balancer as it is much the same spec as their performance balancer but cheaper. I have it on good authority that it is one of the best options in that price range.