Best Bedding for a Mare!

evsj

Visit site
Hello, I know that there have been bedding threads on here before but I am really getting myself in a tizz over what bedding to use for my horse....
Have just moved to a yard where my little girl has a very small stable (10x12 for a 16.2hh IDx). I am normally a die-hard traditional straw-lover for a nice cosy bed but have been finding it alot harder to keep the bed in a good state since moving to this stable. She seems to trash it each each night and could pee for the Britain in the Olympics so I think I should try something else. Not keen on shavings cos they get stuck to everything...thinking about bedmax or easybed instead. Can anyone suggest anything? Thank you. <span style="color:purple"> </span> <span style="color:purple"> </span>

ihatework

Visit site
TBH, whatever you use will be messier the smaller the stable your horse is in.
Straw will always work out the cheapest option unless you want to go down the rubber matting with minimal bedding route.
I am guessing that if you use shavings/flax/hemp/similar that in a small stable you might spend a fair amount of time sifting through the poo or if you spend less time sifting it will cost you more in bedding.
Depends what your priorities are really?

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Use to use Easybed, but I found it worked best as a semi deep litter bed for my very wet mare - Kept bed about 6-7" deep and only removed the wet when it came to the surface.

Now have my mare on rubbermatting with a 3" layer for Bedmax this is much easier and the Bedmax gives a nice warm comfy bed.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
i think rubber mats and shavings,and if you dont wana do shavings then something like aquamax or bedmax or whatever it is,but as mentioned,you pay out initially for rubber matting but its fab in the long run,and pretty reasonable after the outlay.

CBFan

Visit site
If your thinking of going down the rubber matting, minimal bedding route... how about paper? - a relatively small volume of a bale provides a nice 'sprinkling' over a stable floor or you could go deeper if you wanted.. I use this system and just use a plastic rake to separate clean from dirty betting then shovel up into a barrow (usually half fills a barrow).

I believe things like hemp only really work when used in volume and aren't really ideal for messy horses as no matter how hard you try you will either end up with a brown bed or spending a fortune on fresh bedding (been there done that got the Tshirt!!)

another option would be rubber mats, thinner straw bed and maybe a small amount of shavings to soak up the pee... (you can even use somone elses 'slightly damp' shavings for this purpose)

I do know what you mean about straw beds though... love 'em!

evsj

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your advice.
I do have 1/2 the box done in rubber matting so I think I will give Bedmax a try (my local stockist doesn't do paper or Aquamax)....could always go back to straw come the winter, anyway.