Best bedding for very messy mare with respiratory issues!

canteron

Visit site
As title really. As soon as she walks into a bed of shavings her breathing changes so can't use them. Would Aubiouse do the trick or that elephant grass? I have tried wood pellets in the past, but she messes her bed so much its is just really hard work keeping it anywhere near useable.

She is only normally in the stables for a couple of hours a day while she has breakfast (but it still manages 1 enormous pee and about 5 poos which she then mashes together with a couple of pirouettes.

HELP!

Boysy

Visit site
For my very wet but not messy at all mare i use Verdo under her regular wee patches then bedded over pretty deep with BedSoft Pink, rape straw mix i believe, can't use shavings or anything dusty as my wee dust allergic little man is next to her. The Verdo makes a good firm bed underneath.

nikanita

Visit site
Try alto bedding. Dust extracted oil seed rape, and you can also get it with added eucalyptus to aid breathing. I've just started using it, having been recommended it by a friend. I am using on top of rubber mats and really absorbent.

peanut

Visit site
Why didn't you get on with wood pellets? I have changed to them from shavings this winter for my very wet and messy mare and find them really good.

I have discovered that the secret is to thump them down flat with the back of a shovel to impact them so that she doesn't kick them everywhere and the dung stays on the surface.

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
SNAP!! But mine is a gelding!! I have just decided to put back on straw. ~He suffered with hayfever in the summer (cough and snotty nose) and I had him on Lay Soft and then Nedz Bed Pro. Its fine when he is out at night, but now he is in at night and he "holds" his wee in when he goes out during the day and releases it all when he comes in. He then churns all the front up where he wees and poos, so deep litter was near on impossible!!

I put him back on straw last night as I was easily doing 3 bales of Nedz Bed a week!!! In the new year I am putting rubber matting down and giving him a small straw bed.

I am hoping that now he has soaked hay and is on GH Airways, his cough/snotty nose won't return, but its trial and error really.