Best bit foe strong pony that tends to overbend

i-love-wellies

Visit site
So thinking I might need to upgrade to a lightly stronger bit for my 14.2 connie as hes getting strong jumping with his sharer and she just needs a lttle help in betweeen fences. Hes fine in his loose ring snaffle for everything else, but just runs through it when jumping. My issue is he tends to lean and get overbent rather than chuck his head in the air so i dont want to encourage this with the likes of a dutch gags, also if hes over bitted the canter will go out the window. I've ridden him in a pelahm for showing and didnt like it though it was a mullen mouth, so I think he needs the joint. I was considering a kimblewick as it is slightly sharper but has less curb action than the likes of a pelham or dutch gag. The other option is a wilkie though I think this may encourage too much roundness.

Shay

Visit site
What does her instructor say? The combination of dropping behind the bit and then running through sounds like a pain evasion from an overly strong contact? If so then a stronger bit isn't going to help! Might she be expecting him to tank off and taking a stronger hold, so he drops behind the bit which then allows him to run through as a vicious circle? A softer contact might address that?

Alternatively - the NS Elevator is good for jumping ponies. Technically it encourages a higher head carriage - although we use one very effectively on one who goes above the contact to run through. Or a Waterford snaffle to just gain a little more respect? Although you really don't want her pulling on that. Or think outside the box completely and opt for a Combination Bit - we've just switched to one and the results are wonderful. But you need a horse who will respond to indirect pressure first otherwise they are an very expensive gag!

i-love-wellies

Visit site
He just drops behind the bit because she's having to pull on him a lot to maintain control. He tanks with her in between the fences so its a bit more of a battle than it should be with him being keen to get the job done. I've had this issue with him myself and if you give and take the rein he just trucks on. I was thinking a slightly stronger bit with save her having to hang out of him and stop him leaning against her as much so I think he just really needs a reminder to wait when more than anything. I should explain he's not been to bad for getting overbent he's more of a tendency to stick his head down and lean when he wants to evade something. The sharer has soft hands so she doesn't pull out of him unless he's really pulling her. I should also probably have included that he went hinting for the first time recently so his confidence with fences has really grown hence all the pulling.

My plan is to leave him in the snaffle for as long as possible as I don't want him to start getting backwards into fences , the sharer is just about coping for the moment but her arms are being pulled off (shes pretty petite) so Im really just considering the options at the moment has her instructor hasn't said he definatly needs a bit change just yet. He's had his teeth and back done recently so its not a pain issue.

Thanks for your suggestions I agree that a Waterford might be a little harsh! With the likes of combination etc I think we really need something with one rein.. But I'll look into it! Hopefully she'll hold out in the snaffle!

Last edited:

Casey76

Visit site
A pelham or similar would encourage him to curl u even more. you would need something with gag action to life the head. IMHO a waterford is a very nasty mouthpiece, specifically designed to grab and pinch the bars and tongue.

smja

Visit site
If sharer has decent hands, a cheltenham gag with two reins. She can ride on snaffle mostly but has the gag rein there as a reminder if he starts to pull.

Alternatively, try different types of snaffle. Mine goes in snaffle for both jumping and flatwork, but they're different varieties!

i-love-wellies

Visit site
Rode him myself over a course of poles last night which I haven't done in ages. He is getting pretty strong and is very difficult to get him back in between he's not actually going overbent as i would have expected and does chuck his head up. He only gets a bit backward/overbent from being hung out of rather than taking a short pull ... Might try a drop cheek snaffle, Id rather have one short correction than have to hang out of him, he's grabbing the bit and just running with it. We arent galloping out of control or anything hes just not respecting the aids especially to come back to trot to change canter leads. I think once he has a little bit more respect he will be fine in his usual snaffle as his mouth really is soft never really been pulled out of and ridden with soft hands which would explain his objections . Must say though I am glad he's confidant with his fences so I'm very conscious of not loosing that.